Windows 10: 2017 Hardware Thread


  1. Posts : 10,227
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       21 Apr 2017 #971

    essenbe said: View Post
    Well, I haven't decided. The step up program is for the reference editions only. I don't like them.
    My bad, I thought it was for all cards
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 9,044
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint
       21 Apr 2017 #972

    @Dude, it is all cards eligible for the step up program, but you can only step up to the Reference edition of the new cards.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    21 Apr 2017 #973

    essenbe said: View Post
    What pparks says is true, and I don't have to always have the top card. But, when I pay the money and pre order one of the top cards right now and before it is delivered they announce the next generation of cards to come out in a couple of months, that's a little much for me. I knew all along they would come out with a better card sooner or later, but for that kind of money, I expected to be close to the top for 4 or 5 months, at least. It's beginning to look like it may be 6 weeks.
    I do understand this sentiment and I know you are saying 6 weeks to make a point. Let's see how long it actually will be before Volta is in customers' hands. How quickly Nvidia moves on that may depend on how well Vega performs.

    With Nvidia top end GPU's you are in one of two purchase cycles. You either go with the initial product launch and pay a premium for that assuming their is no current competition, or you wait for the TI cycle where the price/performance ratio is much better, not only on the TI but on the original launch version (ie 1080) as well. So the current TI buyers are closer to the next generation indeed, but remember there will be another price premium when Volta comes out. Original 1080 buyers are close to the TI release and TI release buyers are close to the next generation release.

    Personally, in general I like the TI release cycle better. I didn't follow it with the 1080 purchase and have zero regrets. I'm a gamer and was so tired of 2GB Kepler cards with fewer games supporting SLI. And for a change I didn't want to go with my usual previous generation purchase which would have been Maxwell.

    My biggest concern is Nvidia coming out with new gaming graphic features which showcase their latest GPU and that I might like but not be able to run. Heck, my "top tier at the time" 1080 can't run HFTS shadows in WD2 without dropping to FPS in the 30's. Must be a feature designed for 1080 TI's. .

    Bottom line, I think anyone going for a 1080-1080TI now is in a great price/performance cycle. I kept asking who is waiting for Vega/ Volta release. Thought it would be only we 1080 owners. More than surprised Dude is waiting with that lazy 1070 he has but hats off to him.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,738
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit (1703)
       21 Apr 2017 #974

    specialkone said: View Post
    I do understand this sentiment and I know you are saying 6 weeks to make a point. Let's see how long it actually will be before Volta is in customers' hands. How quickly Nvidia moves on that may depend on how well Vega performs.

    With Nvidia top end GPU's you are in one of two purchase cycles. You either go with the initial product launch and pay a premium for that assuming their is no current competition, or you wait for the TI cycle where the price/performance ratio is much better, not only on the TI but on the original launch version (ie 1080) as well. So the current TI buyers are closer to the next generation indeed, but remember there will be another price premium when Volta comes out. Original 1080 buyers are close to the TI release and TI release buyers are close to the next generation release.

    Personally, in general I like the TI release cycle better. I didn't follow it with the 1080 purchase and have zero regrets. I'm a gamer and was so tired of 2GB Kepler cards with fewer games supporting SLI. And for a change I didn't want to go with my usual previous generation purchase which would have been Maxwell.

    My biggest concern is Nvidia coming out with new gaming graphic features which showcase their latest GPU and that I might like but not be able to run. Heck, my "top tier at the time" 1080 can't run HFTS shadows in WD2 without dropping to FPS in the 30's. Must be a feature designed for 1080 TI's. .

    Bottom line, I think anyone going for a 1080-1080TI now is in a great price/performance cycle. I kept asking who is waiting for Vega/ Volta release. Thought it would be only we 1080 owners. More than surprised Dude is waiting with that lazy 1070 he has but hats off to him.
    When I (if) receive my 1080Ti, that will be me back to upgrading my GPU every 2 years or so. I have never ever upgraded this quick before (1070 to 1080Ti)
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 10,227
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       21 Apr 2017 #975

    specialkone said: View Post
    I do understand this sentiment and I know you are saying 6 weeks to make a point. Let's see how long it actually will be before Volta is in customers' hands. How quickly Nvidia moves on that may depend on how well Vega performs.

    With Nvidia top end GPU's you are in one of two purchase cycles. You either go with the initial product launch and pay a premium for that assuming their is no current competition, or you wait for the TI cycle where the price/performance ratio is much better, not only on the TI but on the original launch version (ie 1080) as well. So the current TI buyers are closer to the next generation indeed, but remember there will be another price premium when Volta comes out. Original 1080 buyers are close to the TI release and TI release buyers are close to the next generation release.

    Personally, in general I like the TI release cycle better. I didn't follow it with the 1080 purchase and have zero regrets. I'm a gamer and was so tired of 2GB Kepler cards with fewer games supporting SLI. And for a change I didn't want to go with my usual previous generation purchase which would have been Maxwell.

    My biggest concern is Nvidia coming out with new gaming graphic features which showcase their latest GPU and that I might like but not be able to run. Heck, my "top tier at the time" 1080 can't run HFTS shadows in WD2 without dropping to FPS in the 30's. Must be a feature designed for 1080 TI's. .

    Bottom line, I think anyone going for a 1080-1080TI now is in a great price/performance cycle. I kept asking who is waiting for Vega/ Volta release. Thought it would be only we 1080 owners. More than surprised Dude is waiting with that lazy 1070 he has but hats off to him.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    21 Apr 2017 #976

    worf105 said: View Post
    When I (if) receive my 1080Ti, that will be me back to upgrading my GPU every 2 years or so. I have never ever upgraded this quick before (1070 to 1080Ti)
    It's a great purchase/ upgrade worf.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 1,738
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit (1703)
       21 Apr 2017 #977

    On Zotacs site chatting with "Jon" asking when I should expect some stock in the UK. He's need time to check my issue or concren lol. Don't think I will hear from Jon again. Worth a shot

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zotac chat.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	131212

    UPDATE:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zotac chat2.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	131230

    So have just emailed Kevin
    Doug your 1070 not lazy, It paces its self
    Last edited by worf105; 21 Apr 2017 at 12:27.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    21 Apr 2017 #978

    Dude said: View Post
    Well I'm sad for you too. You can be sad for me later on. I'm hoping to wait for Volta TI. By then, Nvidia will have "helped" with so many new games that my current 1080 P ultra settings with a 120HZ monitor will likely run those new games at 50 FPS.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 1,738
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit (1703)
       21 Apr 2017 #979

    specialkone said: View Post
    It's a great purchase/ upgrade worf.
    Thanks specialkone
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 9,044
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint
       21 Apr 2017 #980

    The TI's are huge. This is the Gigabyte Aorus, look at the size.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aorus.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	131232
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Source: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-g-sync-hdr-announced-at-ces-2017
Happy 2017 in Chillout Room
115478 We would like to take this opportunity to thank all our members, dedicated moderators and our admin team for all your continued support. We wish you all a Happy, Healthy and prosperous New Year! Best wishes Angie & John :party:...
Read more: Storage in 2017: Big improvements are on the way | ZDNet
The Demand for GPU's 2016-2017 in PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Hey guy's this post is to get information and thoughts about the current GPU market #1 I find it highly ridiculous the new GPU's released are so hard to get in retail it's making me wonder why it's so hard ? A: Are Vendors purposely messing...
Bitdefender 2017 Beta in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Bitdefender 2017 Beta is ready for feedback. Starting July28th you can use your great skills and join the bug hunt. You’ll have the opportunity to test Bitdefender's new security products for Windows, Mac OS, and Android, as well as our improved...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:41.
Find Us