Windows 10: 2017 Hardware Thread


  1. Posts : 9,044
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint
       06 Mar 2017 #361

    Yea, I'm closer. AddRam is only about 1200 miles from me.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    06 Mar 2017 #362

    essenbe said: View Post
    That's my plan, 1 anyway. At least whenever the FTW and Classified come out. Also, my numbers were off a bit above. Microcenter has the 7700K for $299.
    I was actually going to pose the question if anyone was thinking about upgrading from a 6700K to a 7700K. For me, the upgrade cost is simply the chip price since a simple BIOS update to my Z170X Gigabyte motherboard makes it Kabby compatible. And that $299 Microcenter price makes the 7700K appealing. However, it is still a $300 buck upgrade.

    Thoughts???

    Oh, and I'm about 130 miles from a Microcenter but I have family in that area so it wouldn't be a wasted drive per se.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 9,044
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint
       06 Mar 2017 #363

    sygnus21 said: View Post
    I was actually going to pose the question if anyone was thinking about upgrading from a 6700K to a 7700K. For me, the upgrade cost is simply the chip price since a simple BIOS update to my Z170X Gigabyte motherboard makes it Kabby compatible. And that $299 Microcenter price makes the 7700K appealing. However, it is still a $300 buck upgrade.

    Thoughts???
    IMO, Drew the 7700K is just an overclocked version of what you already have. Yes, you could most likely overclock it higher, but it's pretty much the same chip. In your position, I wouldn't, I don't think.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    06 Mar 2017 #364

    sygnus21 said: View Post
    I was actually going to pose the question if anyone was thinking about upgrading from a 6700K to a 7700K. For me, the upgrade cost is simply the chip price since a simple BIOS update to my Z170X Gigabyte motherboard makes it Kabby compatible. And that $299 Microcenter price makes the 7700K appealing. However, it is still a $300 buck upgrade.

    Thoughts???
    I will be doing same thing later this summer, but for the present time the bios upgrade that Asus has out is still buggy, from what I am reading on their forum. So I have to wait for Asus to put out a more dependable update for the 7700k before I can buy it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    06 Mar 2017 #365

    essenbe said: View Post
    IMO, Drew the 7700K is just an overclocked version of what you already have. Yes, you could most likely overclock it higher, but it's pretty much the same chip. In your position, I wouldn't, I don't think.
    My 6700k SUCKS Steve .....can't go over x47 no matter what I try, plus I have to feed it lots of voltage, compared to most everyone else, with the same chip....
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 9,044
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint
       06 Mar 2017 #366

    Mike, it's called the "Silicon Lottery" for a reason. Not all chips are the same. Some overclock better than others. If you buy a 7700K, you will be playing that same lottery. Plus, for everyday use, there is no advantage to running higher than 4.6-4.7. You will never notice. Benchmarking is different, if that's your thing.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    06 Mar 2017 #367

    essenbe said: View Post
    Mike, it's called the "Silicon Lottery" for a reason. Not all chips are the same. Some overclock better than others. If you buy a 7700K, you will be playing that same lottery. Plus, for everyday use, there is no advantage to running higher than 4.6-4.7. You will never notice. Benchmarking is different, if that's your thing.
    Yup I know about the "Silicon Lottery" Steve, and mine sucks...I lost. ......but since I can afford the Kaby Lake, thats my next chip, soon as Asus comes out with a stable bios update.....or I get really mad, and buy a new MB.....LoL
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    06 Mar 2017 #368

    essenbe said: View Post
    IMO, Drew the 7700K is just an overclocked version of what you already have. Yes, you could most likely overclock it higher, but it's pretty much the same chip. In your position, I wouldn't, I don't think.
    Yeah, that's somewhat my thought as well. Though not everything is about clock speeds as some extensions and stuff has been added to the 7700K that the 6700 doesn't have.

    To be honest, I should lean my lesson as I actually did the same with the 4770K in moving up to the 4790K and basically saw no difference in performance. But geek habits are hard to break... if we can get one more frame, many of us go for it

    In the end, I'm leaning towards no as well, but....

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    I will be doing same thing later this summer, but for the present time the bios upgrade that Asus has out is still buggy, from what I am reading on their forum. So I have to wait for Asus to put out a more dependable update for the 7700k before I can buy it.
    Yeah, there's talk the Kaby update for the Gigabytes aren't so stable as well. Some are reporting the new BIOS bricks boards when trying to enable secure boot. That's a bit odd, but...

    essenbe said: View Post
    Mike, it's called the "Silicon Lottery" for a reason. Not all chips are the same. Some overclock better than others. If you buy a 7700K, you will be playing that same lottery. Plus, for everyday use, there is no advantage to running higher than 4.6-4.7. You will never notice. Benchmarking is different, if that's your thing.
    Have to agree with Steve here. If you're chasing in hopes of getting a good OC chip, you could be spending to no end. It is the luck of the draw unless you find those bin numbers that say xyz is a good overclocker. Now you just have to find a vendor who's willing to play the check the number game with you.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    06 Mar 2017 #369

    sygnus21 said: View Post
    I was actually going to pose the question if anyone was thinking about upgrading from a 6700K to a 7700K. For me, the upgrade cost is simply the chip price since a simple BIOS update to my Z170X Gigabyte motherboard makes it Kabby compatible. And that $299 Microcenter price makes the 7700K appealing. However, it is still a $300 buck upgrade.

    Thoughts???

    Oh, and I'm about 130 miles from a Microcenter but I have family in that area so it wouldn't be a wasted drive per se.
    There is really no point it performs identical it may overclock higher but the situation with the bad heat paste i wouldn't bother

    Got mine to a solid 4.7 even had 4.8 it begins to see minimal return to a point a 7700k @5.2 Ghz yeilds 1.4 frames more than a 6700k @4.6 Ghz there is really no point unless you are not overclocking at that point you're just throwing them your cash
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    06 Mar 2017 #370

    solarstarshines said: View Post
    There is really no point it performs identical it may overclock higher but the situation with the bad heat paste i wouldn't bother
    I've seen no overwhelming reports about bad heat paste issues like that of the early Haswell's. Sure, there may be reports out there, but nowhere near those of the Haswell. And that didn't stop me from upgrading. None issue here. And as noted, it's not just about frame numbers, but newer tech and added instruction extensions. Were I to simply go on frame numbers, I wouldn't have upgraded from my Haswell 4790K to the Skylake 6700K.

    But I get it, and I could save the $300 dollars for something else. Thanks.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Source: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-g-sync-hdr-announced-at-ces-2017
Happy 2017 in Chillout Room
115478 We would like to take this opportunity to thank all our members, dedicated moderators and our admin team for all your continued support. We wish you all a Happy, Healthy and prosperous New Year! Best wishes Angie & John :party:...
Read more: Storage in 2017: Big improvements are on the way | ZDNet
The Demand for GPU's 2016-2017 in PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Hey guy's this post is to get information and thoughts about the current GPU market #1 I find it highly ridiculous the new GPU's released are so hard to get in retail it's making me wonder why it's so hard ? A: Are Vendors purposely messing...
Bitdefender 2017 Beta in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Bitdefender 2017 Beta is ready for feedback. Starting July28th you can use your great skills and join the bug hunt. You’ll have the opportunity to test Bitdefender's new security products for Windows, Mac OS, and Android, as well as our improved...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:45.
Find Us