Page 336 of 355 FirstFirst ... 236286326334335336337338346 ... LastLast
  1.    07 Oct 2017 #3351

    Quote Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
    Geez, I guess we have more Electrical Engineers on this forum than I ever imagined.
    I am by no means an engineer but seriously Steve the Z270 platform could of been built around coffee lake and future core refreshes

    AMD and Intel have both done this in the past so it's only natural to ask the question why do we need to keep changing platforms when they have had the roadmap for years

    I also understand with power consumption and how it is transferred from board to chip etc yes they would have to design it to be compatible to new architecture but at the same time if they figured out how to do it with X299 they should of somehow figured this in between Kabylake and Coffee lake

    How hard would it actually be to have made Z170 Skylake/Kabylake Z270 Kabylake compatible /Coffee lake future refresh that would be more appealing but you have had three different platforms come out for the same socket makes no sense but again i am no Engineer
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    07 Oct 2017 #3352
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,427
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by solarstarshines View Post
    I am by no means an engineer but seriously Steve the Z270 platform could of been built around coffee lake and future core refreshes

    AMD and Intel have both done this in the past so it's only natural to ask the question why do we need to keep changing platforms when they have had the roadmap for years

    I also understand with power consumption and how it is transferred from board to chip etc yes they would have to design it to be compatible to new architecture but at the same time if they figured out how to do it with X299 they should of somehow figured this in between Kabylake and Coffee lake

    How hard would it actually be to have made Z170 Skylake/Kabylake Z270 Kabylake compatible /Coffee lake future refresh that would be more appealing but you have had three different platforms come out for the same socket makes no sense but again i am no Engineer
    Probably economy, each step has to pay for itself and for path to next step.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    07 Oct 2017 #3353

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Probably economy, each step has to pay for itself and for path to next step.
    I would believe that if they weren't so big of a entity but they have their hands in a lot of new Technology the focus isn't consumer quality more like banking on the fan base to keep it going
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    07 Oct 2017 #3354
    Join Date : Jan 2017
    Turku
    Posts : 1,777
    Windows 10 Pro IP Build 16299.19 (Branch: RS3 Release)

    Quote Originally Posted by solarstarshines View Post
    I would believe that if they weren't so big of a entity but they have their hands in a lot of new Technology the focus isn't consumer quality more like banking on the fan base to keep it going
    Yep, it's just business. They keep doing whatever works. If it does not, then they change strategy and yet again they have their users trapped for a few more years.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    07 Oct 2017 #3355
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Fife
    Posts : 1,867
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit (1709)

    Quote Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
    Hi,
    Sweet @worf105 Not sure about the vengeance line but the dominator line the C15 is better than the C16 but heck you know more about ram than I
    @essenbe yes that darn original x99 ddr4 was freaking expensive
    Was only looking at the LED but have since decided to for go that idea lol. Will more than likely but my usual favourites, Corsair LPX 16GB (2 x 8Gb) 3200 14-16-16-36 @ 1.35v Black for this system.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    07 Oct 2017 #3356
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Fife
    Posts : 1,867
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit (1709)

    Quote Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
    I'm a big fan of Asus boards.
    Me too (Now) My next will be ASUS and it will be one of the Prime board.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    07 Oct 2017 #3357
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    NW Florida
    Posts : 9,452
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint

    Tommy, when they change the architecture, the TDP of the CPU and the internal mechanism, they have to have chipsets that support it. The Z170 boards, at least many of them, could run Kaby Lake CPUs, but the came out with a chipset built for the 7700K. If you had a Z170 board, you didn't have to buy a new board. X299 is the same architecture no matter how many cores it has. All the boards can run on the same chipset. We have known ever since Sandy Bridge that the i7s and i5s were the same CPU. The only difference was that hyperthreading was turned off.

    Coffee Lake is a very different circumstance. They added 2 more cores and a higher TDP, so power delivery had to change. If power delivery changes, how does that affect the VRM of the board? I don't know, but I believe an educated guess is it would have to be different. The Coffee Lake CPUs have the same number of pins, they are just mapped to do different things that Kaby lakes pinout did. They altered the way the CPU internals work. I can see why a new chipset was needed with this CPU.

    Now, was it necessary for them to come out with a Z270 board when a Z170 would run the new CPU? My guess is probably not. You and I have X99 boards, Yours is just a newer version than mine. With a bios update my board will run your CPU just fine I hear. So, did they need to come out with a V2 X99 chipset? Probably not.

    I can fault Intel for a lot of the things they have done and maybe some they are doing now. But, I can't fault them for this new chipset. You probably can fault them for coming out with 3 chipsets in less than a year, and probably for coming out with some of the CPUs they have come out with. I do and can find a lot of other stuff tha is greed. We have always known that with a new CPU, Intel is going to come out with a new chipset or new boards for it. Many time it was not necessary at all. I just think this time it was justified. What d8bauer said was the because of the extra cores and increased TDP, more pins were needed for power delivery and regulation. They just remapped some of the pins from Kaby Lake to Coffee Lake. The socket still has the same number of pins, just those pins do different things now. You can put a 7700K in a Z370 board. It just won't run.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    07 Oct 2017 #3358
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 1,551
    Windows 10 Pro 64

    Quote Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
    I'm a big fan of Asus boards.
    Quote Originally Posted by doorules View Post
    Same here. Asus has some great features on their mobos.
    Quote Originally Posted by worf105 View Post
    Me too (Now) My next will be ASUS and it will be one of the Prime board.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    07 Oct 2017 #3359
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    NW Florida
    Posts : 9,452
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint

    Quote Originally Posted by specialkone View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but when I look for motherboards, I only look at Asus boards.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    07 Oct 2017 #3360
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 38,457
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but when I look for motherboards, I only look at Asus boards.
    I bought mine only because of You Steve, and now its the only board I will buy, when and if I upgrade. Love my Asus board.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
CES 2017: G-SYNC HDR Monitors Just Got Better
Source: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-g-sync-hdr-announced-at-ces-2017
Windows 10 News
Happy 2017
115478 We would like to take this opportunity to thank all our members, dedicated moderators and our admin team for all your continued support. We wish you all a Happy, Healthy and prosperous New Year! Best wishes Angie & John :party:...
Chillout Room
Storage in 2017: Big improvements are on the way
Read more: Storage in 2017: Big improvements are on the way | ZDNet
Windows 10 News
The Demand for GPU's 2016-2017
Hey guy's this post is to get information and thoughts about the current GPU market #1 I find it highly ridiculous the new GPU's released are so hard to get in retail it's making me wonder why it's so hard ? A: Are Vendors purposely messing...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Bitdefender 2017 Beta
Bitdefender 2017 Beta is ready for feedback. Starting July28th you can use your great skills and join the bug hunt. You’ll have the opportunity to test Bitdefender's new security products for Windows, Mac OS, and Android, as well as our improved...
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:01.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums