Windows 10: 2017 Hardware Thread


  1. Posts : 18,881
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       25 Aug 2017 #2861

    Two more items:
    good article about thermal throttling prevention(normal C drive usage won't have it really): NVMe SSD Thermal Throttling Preventions | Nasi Lemak Tech

    And price to performance: If you are one of the users that do a clean install quite often, it would be better to invest in a 2.5" 950 Samsung Pro.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    25 Aug 2017 #2862

    Mine stays pretty cool most of the time, have not seen any heat issues. But I keep my fans on a high setting.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSD960.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	150365
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 1,921
    Windows 10 Pro IP Build 16299.192 (Branch: RS3 Release)
       25 Aug 2017 #2863

    Only thing I really care about Is theoretical MAX RW and IOPS. The higher IOPS the better performance. Also size matters. The bigger drive the faster it is. I would purchase a 2TB NVMe drive over a 256GB any time if speed is important, even if price is steep. Bigger drives also last longer and are less affected by performance degradation when you start filling the drive.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    25 Aug 2017 #2864

    slicendice said: View Post
    Only thing I really care about Is theoretical MAX RW and IOPS. The higher IOPS the better performance. Also size matters. The bigger drive the faster it is. I would purchase a 2TB NVMe drive over a 256GB any time if speed is important, even if price is steep. Bigger drives also last longer and are less affected by performance degradation when you start filling the drive.
    Unfortunately I'm not in the position to buy larger ones or two of them but I do need another SSD and will transfer my slower and smaller one to second computer because it's drowning with a slow HDD. This one is only slightly more expensive than same size SATA SSD and size is still all right as most of stuff is kept on HDDs. So I figured, why not faster than slower drive.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 10,278
    Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Pro Insider
       25 Aug 2017 #2865

    I went from a Samsung 2.5" SSD to a Samsung 250 GB 960 Evo M.2. As everyone has said, most things are pretty much the same. But I did feel everything was just a little more responsive and quicker. On my set up, I have noticed no heat issues at all and haven't seen/noticed any slowdowns. I transferred an 87 GB file last night and saw no slow downs in transfer speed.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    25 Aug 2017 #2866

    Tnx. guys, I'm ordering it now, just waiting for confirmation of the order. As it's not from a store bur online I will probably have to wait a week to get it. I guess it's a straight forward job to restore MR image to it ?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    25 Aug 2017 #2867

    essenbe said: View Post
    I went from a Samsung 2.5" SSD to a Samsung 250 GB 960 Evo M.2. As everyone has said, most things are pretty much the same. But I did feel everything was just a little more responsive and quicker. On my set up, I have noticed no heat issues at all and haven't seen/noticed any slowdowns. I transferred an 87 GB file last night and saw no slow downs in transfer speed.
    I agree Steve, as I have had no heat issues at all with my Samsung 860 PRO M.2- 512GB
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 10,278
    Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Pro Insider
       25 Aug 2017 #2868

    Mike, I know nothing about AMD boards, but on my Intel board, I had to make a couple of BIOS changes mostly to allow booting from PCIe drives. Download the latest driver from Samsung also.

    I do know I did a clean install. When everything started I went downstairs to get something to drink. When I came back up, I was expecting it to still be expanding files. As I came up the stairs, I could hear Cortana talking about the setup, from the desktop.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    25 Aug 2017 #2869

    On my MB, M2 port is positioned above the first PCIe and therefore above, not under GPU so I guess heat is not going to be any issue.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	150369
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    25 Aug 2017 #2870

    essenbe said: View Post
    Mike, I know nothing about AMD boards, but on my Intel board, I had to make a couple of BIOS changes mostly to allow booting from PCIe drives. Download the latest driver from Samsung also.

    I do know I did a clean install. When everything started I went downstairs to get something to drink. When I came back up, I was expecting it to still be expanding files. As I came up the stairs, I could hear Cortana talking about the setup, from the desktop.
    Yes on my Asus board I had to do the same, in order to get my M.2 drive to boot. Plus install its driver for Windows. As far as Cortana goes, I have her shutup.
    Note: I installed the driver 1st <--- before making any changes in my bios for the M.2 drive.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Source: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-g-sync-hdr-announced-at-ces-2017
Happy 2017 in Chillout Room
115478 We would like to take this opportunity to thank all our members, dedicated moderators and our admin team for all your continued support. We wish you all a Happy, Healthy and prosperous New Year! Best wishes Angie & John :party:...
Read more: Storage in 2017: Big improvements are on the way | ZDNet
The Demand for GPU's 2016-2017 in PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Hey guy's this post is to get information and thoughts about the current GPU market #1 I find it highly ridiculous the new GPU's released are so hard to get in retail it's making me wonder why it's so hard ? A: Are Vendors purposely messing...
Bitdefender 2017 Beta in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Bitdefender 2017 Beta is ready for feedback. Starting July28th you can use your great skills and join the bug hunt. You’ll have the opportunity to test Bitdefender's new security products for Windows, Mac OS, and Android, as well as our improved...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53.
Find Us