Page 247 of 355 FirstFirst ... 147197237245246247248249257297347 ... LastLast
  1.    03 Aug 2017 #2461
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,415
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by copiertech25 View Post
    How much life do you guys think an i7 3770K and GTX 970 have left in it? I almost have all the parts for this build. Just waiting for the PSU and 970 to come in.
    Until yesterday ?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    03 Aug 2017 #2462
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    NW Florida
    Posts : 9,441
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint

    Quote Originally Posted by copiertech25 View Post
    How much life do you guys think an i7 3770K and GTX 970 have left in it? I almost have all the parts for this build. Just waiting for the PSU and 970 to come in.
    Josey, I can't really give you an answer. I have a backup rig with a 3770K in it and it still runs anything I want it to. It is still a good machine and more fun that this 5930K machine.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    03 Aug 2017 #2463

    So it comes down to keep this rig as my primary for at least 2 years or sell it and buy a Ryzen 5 system. Not sure what I want to do yet.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    03 Aug 2017 #2464
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    USA
    Posts : 1,570
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by copiertech25 View Post
    How much life do you guys think an i7 3770K and GTX 970 have left in it? I almost have all the parts for this build. Just waiting for the PSU and 970 to come in.
    Quote Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
    Josey, I can't really give you an answer. I have a backup rig with a 3770K in it and it still runs anything I want it to. It is still a good machine and more fun that this 5930K machine.

    It just really comes down to what you want the machine to do. If you're just doing basic stuff like web browsing / forum posts, I suppose the machine will last forever. If you want to run the latest games and apps at performance levels, then it may be past it's prime.

    I gave my uncle an Core 2 Quad Q6600 machine a few years ago that I upgraded to Windows 10. As far as I'm told, the machine is still running to this day. All he does is web browsing, email, and word docs. (also gave him Office 2010).

    Other than the aging motherboard and CPU still in use, things seems to be running just fine.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    03 Aug 2017 #2465

    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    It just really comes down to what you want the machine to do. If you're just doing basic stuff like web browsing / forum posts, I suppose the machine will last forever. If you want to run the latest games and apps at performance levels, then it may be past it's prime.

    I gave my uncle an Core 2 Quad Q6600 machine a few years ago that I upgraded to Windows 10. As far as I'm told, the machine is still running to this day. All he does is web browsing, email, and word docs. (also gave him Office 2010).

    Other than the aging motherboard and CPU still in use, things seems to be running just fine.
    My uses are older games, web browsing, Photoshop, video editing, and converting video from 1080P to 4K. I do realize a newer i7 would be better for converting and also a Ryzen 5 probably would be great also.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    03 Aug 2017 #2466
    Join Date : Jan 2017
    Turku
    Posts : 1,768
    Windows 10 Pro IP Build 16299.19 (Branch: RS3 Release)

    Quote Originally Posted by copiertech25 View Post
    My uses are older games, web browsing, Photoshop, video editing, and converting video from 1080P to 4K. I do realize a newer i7 would be better for converting and also a Ryzen 5 probably would be great also.
    Did you mean you are downsampling video from 4K to 1080P? Or are you actually converting 1080p to 4K? If that is the case, what is the point of that?

    Either way...those components will last quite some time still. Unless you are in a hurry with your conversions, then it might not be enough.

    I can still convert or compress movies on my i5-2410M and GT-540M....it's very slow but is doable...
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    03 Aug 2017 #2467
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    NW Florida
    Posts : 9,441
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint

    @copiertech25, my take on it is any of the newer 'old' CPUs will do anything the newer ones will, just not as fast.
    Last edited by essenbe; 04 Aug 2017 at 08:01.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    04 Aug 2017 #2468
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 920
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
    All of this 'who has the most cores' is a non starter in my book. That means little to most of us. The benchmarkers love it because it gives them higher scores in many benches. In real life it means very little unless you are doing 3D modeling, the server market or video encoding. It helps the average consumer and gamers none at all.
    Yep, I agree.

    My desktop was built in 2009, and it's a Core 2 Quad 9550 running a 240GB SSD, 1 TB WD Black and an Nvidia 570GTX.

    My primary machine is now just over 3 years old, it's a core i5 dual core at 2.4Ghz. It's got 8GB of RAM, a 256GB PCI-Express SSD and is a (gasp), MacBook Pro.

    My son (10) has the newest PC in the house, it's about 8 months old, runs a Core i5-6500, with 16GB of RAM and an EVGA GeForce 1060 FTW+ with 6GB of RAM with an Intel 600p NvME drive.

    All of my machines are just fine for everything I throw at them. My wife has a Samsung Series 7 Ultrabook with a Core i5, my daughter has a 12" MacBook with the Intel Core M3, my son has a Dell laptop with a Core i3, and I have a home file server running a core i3.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    04 Aug 2017 #2469

    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Yep, I agree.

    My desktop was built in 2009, and it's a Core 2 Quad 9550 running a 240GB SSD, 1 TB WD Black and an Nvidia 570GTX.

    My primary machine is now just over 3 years old, it's a core i5 dual core at 2.4Ghz. It's got 8GB of RAM, a 256GB PCI-Express SSD and is a (gasp), MacBook Pro.

    My son (10) has the newest PC in the house, it's about 8 months old, runs a Core i5-6500, with 16GB of RAM and an EVGA GeForce 1060 FTW+ with 6GB of RAM with an Intel 600p NvME drive.

    All of my machines are just fine for everything I throw at them. My wife has a Samsung Series 7 Ultrabook with a Core i5, my daughter has a 12" MacBook with the Intel Core M3, my son has a Dell laptop with a Core i3, and I have a home file server running a core i3.
    Your not the only Mac user here. My primary mobile devices are a MacBook Air and iPad Pro 12.9". I like then for what I use them for. Also, I work on Windows systems all day, I just want to my personal devices to work well when I'm at the coffee shop or at home on the couch. Haha
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    04 Aug 2017 #2470

    Quote Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
    @copiertech25, my take on it is any of the newer 'old' CPUs will do anything the newer ones will, just not as fast.
    Thanks for the reply my friend. I think it will rock for my needs. I'm going to keep it and build a Ryzen system next year.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
CES 2017: G-SYNC HDR Monitors Just Got Better
Source: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-g-sync-hdr-announced-at-ces-2017
Windows 10 News
Happy 2017
115478 We would like to take this opportunity to thank all our members, dedicated moderators and our admin team for all your continued support. We wish you all a Happy, Healthy and prosperous New Year! Best wishes Angie & John :party:...
Chillout Room
Storage in 2017: Big improvements are on the way
Read more: Storage in 2017: Big improvements are on the way | ZDNet
Windows 10 News
The Demand for GPU's 2016-2017
Hey guy's this post is to get information and thoughts about the current GPU market #1 I find it highly ridiculous the new GPU's released are so hard to get in retail it's making me wonder why it's so hard ? A: Are Vendors purposely messing...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Bitdefender 2017 Beta
Bitdefender 2017 Beta is ready for feedback. Starting July28th you can use your great skills and join the bug hunt. You’ll have the opportunity to test Bitdefender's new security products for Windows, Mac OS, and Android, as well as our improved...
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums