Page 242 of 355 FirstFirst ... 142192232240241242243244252292342 ... LastLast
  1.    30 Jul 2017 #2411
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,427
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by OldMike65 View Post
    Question for you guys, do you think "Over Provisioning" your C drive for a M.2 drive has good benefits, some say it even increases speed of writing, etc ...what do ya think??
    Just like any other one. It's there to provide parts of storage to be moved around so same cells are not used all the time. It may speed things up a bit when drive is overfilled and slows down because of that. Most drives have it hidden.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    30 Jul 2017 #2412
    Join Date : Jan 2017
    Turku
    Posts : 1,777
    Windows 10 Pro IP Build 16299.19 (Branch: RS3 Release)

    Quote Originally Posted by OldMike65 View Post
    Question for you guys, do you think "Over Provisioning" your C drive for a M.2 drive has good benefits, some say it even increases speed of writing, etc ...what do ya think??
    Yes, it is always a good idea. If your drive (all SSD type of drives) get full, you are in trouble. But if you have overprovisioned it, you can still get your system to boot, by just making the boot drive a bit bigger, so it has enough free space for the boot process. Also the less stuff you have on your SSD-type of drive, the longer it will last. SSDs always try to write new stuff in blocks that has been used the least. If your drive is almost full, it is difficult to find free blocks with fewest writes. The end result is slower drive and a drive that will die faster.

    EDIT: Just like @CountMike just said.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    30 Jul 2017 #2413
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 38,457
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Just like any other one. It's there to provide parts of storage to be moved around so same cells are not used all the time. It may speed things up a bit when drive is overfilled and slows down because of that. Most drives have it hidden.
    Yes it would be hidden because its unallocated space on your drive. You can do it manually, or let a program like Samsung Magician do it. Right now this M.2 drive is only using about 9% of the M.2 thou.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    30 Jul 2017 #2414
    Join Date : Jan 2017
    Turku
    Posts : 1,777
    Windows 10 Pro IP Build 16299.19 (Branch: RS3 Release)

    Quote Originally Posted by OldMike65 View Post
    Yes it would be hidden because its unallocated space on your drive. You can do it manually, or let a program like Samsung Magician do it. Right now this M.2 drive is only using about 9% of the M.2 thou.
    In the latest Samsung SSD drives, as far as I know, everything is written in the firmware. No Magician Software needed for that purpose. The old drives needed the Magician and some drivers for this purpose.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    30 Jul 2017 #2415
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 38,457
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by slicendice View Post
    In the latest Samsung SSD drives, as far as I know, everything is written in the firmware. No Magician Software needed for that purpose. The old drives needed the Magician and some drivers for this purpose.
    Not correct, as Magician is still needed to check and update your firmware, and it will also make the space for the OP if you let it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    30 Jul 2017 #2416
    Join Date : Jan 2017
    Turku
    Posts : 1,777
    Windows 10 Pro IP Build 16299.19 (Branch: RS3 Release)

    Quote Originally Posted by OldMike65 View Post
    Not correct, as Magician is still needed to check and update your firmware, and it will also make the space for the OP if you let it.
    Yes, needed for firmware upgrades, but the overprovisioning can be done using Windows Disk Manager. Magician used to work differently, but it has completely changed since the latest updates.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    30 Jul 2017 #2417
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 38,457
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by slicendice View Post
    Yes, needed for firmware upgrades, but the overprovisioning can be done using Windows Disk Manager. Magician used to work differently, but it has completely changed since the latest updates.
    Yes they have changed the latest software quite a bit, but it can still OP your SSD drives, if you allow it too. Its a option in the software, just like before.
    I don't use Windows Disk Manager, except to maybe look at what it sees.. I prefer other apps, like MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro which does anything I want.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    30 Jul 2017 #2418
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    USA
    Posts : 1,575
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    I don't overprovision. I don't think the general mass needs to either; especially with a modern SSD, and the fact that it costs you storage space.

    Some would find this an interesting read by Seagate - SSD Over-Provisioning And Its Benefits
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    31 Jul 2017 #2419
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 38,457
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Incase anyone is interested ....
    EVGA Precision XOC Version 6.1.13 Released
    Release: 7/27/2017

    Fixes 1080 Ti FTW3 crash resulting from v6.1.12.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    31 Jul 2017 #2420
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 920
    Windows 10 Pro

    I have to stop reading this thread. My wife finally got me to agree to having our floors replaced throughout our entire house. I just wrote a check costing more than my last 3 computers combined. Its been a costly home year for us in past 12 months, new furnace and AC, new roof, and now new flooring. good thing I paid off the mortgage last fall.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
CES 2017: G-SYNC HDR Monitors Just Got Better
Source: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-g-sync-hdr-announced-at-ces-2017
Windows 10 News
Happy 2017
115478 We would like to take this opportunity to thank all our members, dedicated moderators and our admin team for all your continued support. We wish you all a Happy, Healthy and prosperous New Year! Best wishes Angie & John :party:...
Chillout Room
Storage in 2017: Big improvements are on the way
Read more: Storage in 2017: Big improvements are on the way | ZDNet
Windows 10 News
The Demand for GPU's 2016-2017
Hey guy's this post is to get information and thoughts about the current GPU market #1 I find it highly ridiculous the new GPU's released are so hard to get in retail it's making me wonder why it's so hard ? A: Are Vendors purposely messing...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Bitdefender 2017 Beta
Bitdefender 2017 Beta is ready for feedback. Starting July28th you can use your great skills and join the bug hunt. You’ll have the opportunity to test Bitdefender's new security products for Windows, Mac OS, and Android, as well as our improved...
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:03.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums