Page 193 of 355 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195203243293 ... LastLast
  1.    08 Jun 2017 #1921
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,439
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Laptop CPUs are tamed down desktop versions, with Intel they have "U" or "M" suffix.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    08 Jun 2017 #1922
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 28,988
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
    Tommy, a 140 Watt CPU in a laptop? Hope they are real cheap.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l-how-to-fry-an-egg-on-laptop.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	138500
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    08 Jun 2017 #1923
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    NW Florida
    Posts : 9,462
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Laptop CPUs are tamed down desktop versions, with Intel they have "U" or "M" suffix.
    True. I'm not a laptop person, but I don't recall ever seeing a laptop with a HEDT CPU in them. As far as I know, most laptops have a TDP of 35-45W. They reduce core count, frequency and everything else they can to get it down to that 35-45W TDP. Once you have done that, you can call it an i7 or i5 all you want, but it isn't. You have changed it into a completely different animal. It's a marketing gimmick as far as I'm concerned. A Laptop i7 and a desktop i7 are 2 completely different CPUs. Even for mainstream we all consider an i7 as 4 cores and 4 threads. In a laptop an i7 is 2 cores and 2 threads, with weaker cores and slower speed. They don't even approximate the same thing. But, that's just my opinion. They aren't called HEDT (High End Desktop) CPU's for no reason.

    AMD does te same thing because he problem is the same. How much cooling can you get into a laptop.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    08 Jun 2017 #1924
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,439
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
    True. I'm not a laptop person, but I don't recall ever seeing a laptop with a HEDT CPU in them. As far as I know, most laptops have a TDP of 35-45W. They reduce core count, frequency and everything else they can to get it down to that 35-45W TDP. Once you have done that, you can call it an i7 or i5 all you want, but it isn't. You have changed it into a completely different animal. It's a marketing gimmick as far as I'm concerned. A Laptop i7 and a desktop i7 are 2 completely different CPUs. Even for mainstream we all consider an i7 as 4 cores and 4 threads. In a laptop an i7 is 2 cores and 2 threads, with weaker cores and slower speed. They don't even approximate the same thing. But, that's just my opinion. They aren't called HEDT (High End Desktop) CPU's for no reason.
    Exactly but even when they use same core it's so toned down that it doesn't even resemble the starting one.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    08 Jun 2017 #1925
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    NW Florida
    Posts : 9,462
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Exactly but even when they use same core it's so toned down that it doesn't even resemble the starting one.
    And why I have always said the term 'Gaming Laptop' is an oxymoron.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    08 Jun 2017 #1926
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,439
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
    And why I have always said the term 'Gaming Laptop' is an oxymoron.
    I hate that word, "Gaming", it's been overused a lot. Any respectable computer will also be good at games. There's also many variations in games, it could be a Solitaire too and any computer could run that game. Some things are even ridiculous, like "Gaming Case" for instance, that should make a computer "Special" ?. A gaming computer may be X-Box and Play Station for instance but not a PC.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    08 Jun 2017 #1927
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 920
    Windows 10 Pro

    I have used both Intel and AMD in the past. Last AMD I had was a Athlon 64 X2 4600+. Back in those days, they were crushing the old Pentium 4 platform. Since the introduction of the Intel Core series, I have never seriously considered AMD for my own use. The Ryzen CPU is the first one I have considered, but with early mobo issues, if I had to pick a new box today, it would be an Intel without hesitation. I am not obsessed with cores or threads. I don't feel obligated to overclock and/or benchmark. I just want good performance for a solid price. Today, I am happy with Intel.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    08 Jun 2017 #1928
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 17,598
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    This post is for @worf105
    Andrew, I found Nessie's pedigree

    Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme Review - Tom's Hardware
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    08 Jun 2017 #1929
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 17,598
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    08 Jun 2017 #1930
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 38,520
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
CES 2017: G-SYNC HDR Monitors Just Got Better
Source: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-g-sync-hdr-announced-at-ces-2017
Windows 10 News
Happy 2017
115478 We would like to take this opportunity to thank all our members, dedicated moderators and our admin team for all your continued support. We wish you all a Happy, Healthy and prosperous New Year! Best wishes Angie & John :party:...
Chillout Room
Storage in 2017: Big improvements are on the way
Read more: Storage in 2017: Big improvements are on the way | ZDNet
Windows 10 News
The Demand for GPU's 2016-2017
Hey guy's this post is to get information and thoughts about the current GPU market #1 I find it highly ridiculous the new GPU's released are so hard to get in retail it's making me wonder why it's so hard ? A: Are Vendors purposely messing...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Bitdefender 2017 Beta
Bitdefender 2017 Beta is ready for feedback. Starting July28th you can use your great skills and join the bug hunt. You’ll have the opportunity to test Bitdefender's new security products for Windows, Mac OS, and Android, as well as our improved...
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums