Windows 10: 2017 Hardware Thread


  1. Posts : 18,864
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       30 Apr 2017 #1241

      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    30 Apr 2017 #1242

    Cliff S said: View Post
    The newer CPU's are not necessarily faster or better.
    • They have better power management like digital thermometer for Skylake & Kaby Lake(they save more power or throttle when the CPU gets too warm, not good to desktop users that OC, but keep the CPU cooler for most other users),
    • more instruction sets(i.e. codecs>hello 4K Netflix (only with the 7th gen)),
    • tighter/better security features(hello SGX, MPEX, DEP, and SME),
    • better virtualization features(SVE & SVM),
    • and better general CPUID features.

    Here is a video from Linus on New Years Eve 2016 ya'll might find interesting:


    Good info there.

    Anyway this is why I feel people should be looking more towards the tech rather than pure performance numbers. When I look at my still running Haswell system, gaming or real world performance usage, I can't say it's noticeably slower than my Kaby lake system. Benches may tell a "slightly" different story, but real word "feel", not so much. Would you notice a few frames here or there when gaming? Would you notice a few Nano seconds here or there performance wise? I seriously doubt it.

    Tech wise though, especially motherboard tech (Z87 vs. Z270) is where Haswell falls short - native USB 3.1, Thunderbolt 2, native NVMe support, more PCI lanes to name a few.

    Gaming wise the either system games as well as the other. Benchmark wise, it's mostly about the GPU rather than CPU. So yeah, in my opinion it's now about the motherboard tech and CPU instructions, rather than flat out performance.

    All that said, I'd rather have a 2017 system with a new CPU, than a 2013 one

    My two cents.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    30 Apr 2017 #1243

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    Well Drew you did a beautiful job building your new rig, Very good cable management also. That is my sore spot for me, as I really need to get better at that part. Nice Job!!!!

    Thanks Mike,

    Didn't have to do any re-cabling with this this since all I had to do was replace the CPU and MB. The cabling was actually done when I did the Skylake build last year. Check this post - Thoughts on Phanteks’ Enthoo Luxe PC case. Features two systems.

    Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 18,864
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       30 Apr 2017 #1244

    sygnus21 said: View Post
    Good info there.

    Anyway this is why I feel people should be looking more towards the tech rather than pure performance numbers. When I look at my still running Haswell system, gaming or real world performance usage, I can't say it's noticeably slower than my Kaby lake system. Benches may tell a "slightly" different story, but real word "feel", not so much. Would you notice a few frames here or there when gaming? Would you notice a few Nano seconds here or there performance wise? I seriously doubt it.

    Tech wise though, especially motherboard tech (Z87 vs. Z270) is where Haswell falls short - native USB 3.1, Thunderbolt 2, native NVMe support, more PCI lanes to name a few.

    Gaming wise the either system games as well as the other. Benchmark wise, it's mostly about the GPU rather than CPU. So yeah, in my opinion it's now about the motherboard tech and CPU instructions, rather than flat out performance.

    All that said, I'd rather have a 2017 system with a new CPU, than a 2013 one

    My two cents.
    I always thought, with gaming, it wasn't maximum FPS, but a nice steady FPS(so no micro stuttering occurs), with the minimum FPS optimally being the monitor's refresh rate.
    Anything above the refresh rate is just, literally, hot air.
    At least the was mas my understanding as a non-gamer
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 18,864
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       30 Apr 2017 #1245

    This one is for Andrew, for selecting a GPU:

    listen closely starting at 1:44
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    30 Apr 2017 #1246

    Cliff S said: View Post
    I always thought, with gaming, it wasn't maximum FPS, but a nice steady FPS(so no micro stuttering occurs), with the minimum FPS optimally being the monitor's refresh rate.
    Yeah, that's true, but using my comparison between my Haswell and Kaby system - if using the same GPU, there's no performance difference - micro stuttering, etc... This is why I say games are more GPU than CPU dependent.

    In short, given the same GPU, there's really no difference between the last iteration of CPU's where gaming is concerned - notably Haswell, Skylake, Kaby.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    30 Apr 2017 #1247

    Cliff S said: View Post
    I always thought, with gaming, it wasn't maximum FPS, but a nice steady FPS(so no micro stuttering occurs), with the minimum FPS optimally being the monitor's refresh rate.
    Anything above the refresh rate is just, literally, hot air.
    At least the was mas my understanding as a non-gamer
    Yes, overall ease of use and higher graphics in more powerful systems make it easier and smoother. When I played original MOHA series on some dual core and 510MB GPU it was much more difficult. Now hen I tried it on this system, not only that I can play it it at top graphics and details but seams much easier to play without getting my a** being blown up 3 times in same mission.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 18,864
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       30 Apr 2017 #1248

    I'm going to try Der8auer's way of finding a good OC for my card. On my 1080 Aero 8GB OC it is the power limit that gets me most, sometimes temp, and rarely, the voltage limit(I leave them showing in sys tray from Afterburner's monitoring).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	481.9 KB 
ID:	132753
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    30 Apr 2017 #1249

    Cliff S said: View Post
    I'm going to try Der8auer's way of finding a good OC for my card. On my 1080 Aero 8GB OC it is the power limit that gets me most, sometimes temp, and rarely, the voltage limit(I leave them showing in sys tray from Afterburner's monitoring).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	481.9 KB 
ID:	132753
    1st thing I noticed in your screen shot are your temps.....47° for Avg .... Right now mine are at around 31° Just seems kinda warm. I do have 5 fans plus Water Cooled thou. and I'm at 4.9 also.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    30 Apr 2017 #1250

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    1st thing I noticed in your screen shot are your temps.....47° for Avg .... Right now mine are at around 31° Just seems kinda warm. I do have 5 fans plus Water Cooled thou. and I'm at 4.9 also.
    There are way too many variables to really compare those numbers in a given moment. Was your system idle while Cliff's was running. What's you room temps vs. Cliff's? What did you have running at time reading was taken vs. Cliff's. System configuration, etc... You get the point
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Source: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-g-sync-hdr-announced-at-ces-2017
Happy 2017 in Chillout Room
115478 We would like to take this opportunity to thank all our members, dedicated moderators and our admin team for all your continued support. We wish you all a Happy, Healthy and prosperous New Year! Best wishes Angie & John :party:...
Read more: Storage in 2017: Big improvements are on the way | ZDNet
The Demand for GPU's 2016-2017 in PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Hey guy's this post is to get information and thoughts about the current GPU market #1 I find it highly ridiculous the new GPU's released are so hard to get in retail it's making me wonder why it's so hard ? A: Are Vendors purposely messing...
Bitdefender 2017 Beta in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Bitdefender 2017 Beta is ready for feedback. Starting July28th you can use your great skills and join the bug hunt. You’ll have the opportunity to test Bitdefender's new security products for Windows, Mac OS, and Android, as well as our improved...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11.
Find Us