Windows 10: New PC, Need help bad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       12 Sep 2016 #1

    New PC, Need help bad.


    Specs:
    CPU: i3-6100
    Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming M3
    Ram: Corsair Vengence DDR4 16GB
    Using the integrated intel HD 530 graphics.

    So I just hooked everything up, installed windows, updated bios. And now I see that they CPU is running at 799Mhz. I opened MSI Intel Extreme Tuning Utilities and thermal throttling is at 100% While my temps do not rise above 32c... Can someone please help me figure this out. I am at stock speeds, I haven't changed any settings. I have tried turning off C-State and speed step through the MSI Click 5 Bios. But that is all, and was after I noticed the throttling. This pc is barely usable at this point. When I scroll down web pages it distorts everything, then renders it all properly.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       12 Sep 2016 #2

    JoshM25 said: View Post
    Specs:
    CPU: i3-6100
    Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming M3
    Ram: Corsair Vengence DDR4 16GB
    Using the integrated intel HD 530 graphics.

    So I just hooked everything up, installed windows, updated bios. And now I see that they CPU is running at 799Mhz. I opened MSI Intel Extreme Tuning Utilities and thermal throttling is at 100% While my temps do not rise above 32c... Can someone please help me figure this out. I am at stock speeds, I haven't changed any settings. I have tried turning off C-State and speed step through the MSI Click 5 Bios. But that is all, and was after I noticed the throttling. This pc is barely usable at this point. When I scroll down web pages it distorts everything, then renders it all properly.
    Now I am noticing its showing only 1 active core ontop of all this nonsense..
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       12 Sep 2016 #3

    So I solved the throttling issue, however, only one core is active. On the motherboard the active cores setting is set to "All" and the only other option is "1" I've tried several things and no matter what its saying this cpu only has 1 core.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       12 Sep 2016 #4

    Update


    So the Throttling has been solved. the Slow_Boot_ switch on my motherboard was on somehow. Anyway, now the bigger issue. Its saying my cpu only has 1 core with 2 threads. In the BIOS setting Active cores is set to "All" with only other option being "1" I tried keying in "2" but still. Plus and Minus only change it from "All" to "1". Everything is saying there is only 1 core on the cpu. Here is a screen shot. Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 3.00.21 AM - Jumpshare I ran intel's processor diagnostics test, and everything passed. Not sure why this is happening, I swear I have horrible luck or I am just dumb.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 8,169
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint
       12 Sep 2016 #5

    First, under boot options, uncheck the 'Number of Processors'. Windows, by default, uses all cores and ram. Those options are to limit cores and ram for diagnostic purposes, not increase them. Plus you only have 1 processor.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	101036
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    12 Sep 2016 #6

    You may have gotten a bad CPU, or I should say a locked CPU for what ever reason. The specs for that CPU are grim.....2 cores 4 threads....pitiful.
    Intel Core™ i3-6100 Processor (3M Cache, 3.70 GHz) Specifications


    Personally, I would send that back and move up to an i5.....something like this one.
    Intel Core i5-6500 6MB Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I56500 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530 - Newegg.com
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 8,169
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint
       12 Sep 2016 #7

    Plankton said: View Post
    You may have gotten a bad CPU, or I should say a locked CPU for what ever reason. The specs for that CPU are grim.....2 cores 4 threads....pitiful.
    Intel Core™ i3-6100 Processor (3M Cache, 3.70 GHz) Specifications


    Personally, I would send that back and move up to an i5.....something like this one.
    Intel Core i5-6500 6MB Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I56500 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530 - Newegg.com

    @Plankton, maybe you should try to help with his problem and not denigrate his system. His system may be perfectly fine for what he needs it for, and/or maybe he doesn't have an extra $100 for what you want. His system is plenty capable for what many people do with their computer.


    @JoshM25 what bios version are you running. The latest version is A7 and can be downloaded here, Support For Z170A GAMING M3 | MSI Global | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design. if nothing else we try works.

    After making the changes I showed in my last post, I would suggest you go into bios and look at your sata mode and remember what it is set to. Then set Optimized defaults (usually F5 on most boards), then set the sata mode to what it is right now, set your boot options to what they are right now, save and exit. See if that is any better.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       12 Sep 2016 #8

    essenbe said: View Post
    @Plankton, maybe you should try to help with his problem and not denigrate his system. His system may be perfectly fine for what he needs it for, and/or maybe he doesn't have an extra $100 for what you want. His system is plenty capable for what many people do with their computer.


    @JoshM25 what bios version are you running. The latest version is A7 and can be downloaded here, Support For Z170A GAMING M3 | MSI Global | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design. if nothing else we try works.

    After making the changes I showed in my last post, I would suggest you go into bios and look at your sata mode and remember what it is set to. Then set Optimized defaults (usually F5 on most boards), then set the sata mode to what it is right now, set your boot options to what they are right now, save and exit. See if that is any better.

    I only had 500 to work with, I wanted to get out of the am3+ socket and into something with a nice upgrade path. I had the amd fx 8350 and from all bench marks the i3 seemed to be a good competitor or sometimes out perform the 8350. So i sold the amd build for 500 and then I went somewhat cheap on the CPU just to get into the skylake platform. But I bought everything I would need to begin upgrading while having a decent build. I would have went with the i5 if I didn't have to buy everything else within a $500 budget.

    CPU: i3-6100 $118
    Motherboard: MSI Z170 Gaming M3 $128
    Cooler: cryorg h7 $25
    Psu: evga 500w silver $40
    Ram: 16gb (2x8gb) corsair vengeance DDR4 2400MHz $68
    Case: phanteks p400s $70

    I tried what you said and no luck. I loaded a Linux OS, opened htop and all cores were working fine, and Hyperthreading. I think it's a driver or registry issue in Windows 10. It's only thing I can think of since Linux works fine
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 8,169
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint
       12 Sep 2016 #9

    Make sure Hyperthreading is enabled in BIOS. I have several machines running Windows 10 and have no issues with Hyperthreading.
    Have you been to MSI's web site and downloaded all of the newest drivers for your Motherboard?
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       12 Sep 2016 #10

    essenbe said: View Post
    Make sure Hyperthreading is enabled in BIOS. I have several machines running Windows 10 and have no issues with Hyperthreading.
    Have you been to MSI's web site and downloaded all of the newest drivers for your Motherboard?
    Yeah, after I put it all together and installed windows, I went to the website and installed everything for my system. Then did windows updates. The Live update updated the bios to the file I downloaded off of the msi website.

    Also, I am using a usb windows 10 installer. I noticed before when I went to installed windows it would say something along the lines of "Windows will create addition partitions for the system" but this time I did not say that. I clicked on the primary partition (Being the only partition on this ssd) and it just started installing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:45.
Find Us