SSD with standard drive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,327
    10 Pro retail 1909
       #1

    SSD with standard drive


    Hello
    I am about to build my 1st PC and wondered about the software aspect involving 2 hard drives.
    If you have a 250 GB SSD and a 1 TB standard drive, how do you coordinate /utilize these 2 to perform.
    Do you install the OS in the SSD, and if so, what about left over space on that SSD?

    What then would the 1 TB drive serve?
    Any explanation would be appreciated. Remember I am not too skilled thanks.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 12,474
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro
       #2

    maranna said:
    Hello
    I am about to build my 1st PC and wondered about the software aspect involving 2 hard drives.
    If you have a 250 GB SSD and a 1 TB standard drive, how do you coordinate /utilize these 2 to perform.
    Do you install the OS in the SSD, and if so, what about left over space on that SSD?

    What then would the 1 TB drive serve?
    Any explanation would be appreciated. Remember I am not too skilled thanks.
    Install the OS on the SSD without the HDD plugged in. Don't concern yourself with free space until after you start installing programs. After its running properly shut down and plug in the HDD. You can install a number of programs on the HDD as well as use it for storage of data, music, pictures, etc. For the installing check that the program/s offer a Custom install where you can specify the HDD instead of the SSD, Windows will do its thing for running them.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 1,327
    10 Pro retail 1909
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Do not have the HDD plugged in and install the OS on the SSD, then with PC off, and running OK, plug in the HDD.
    Load some programs there. I have only used 27 GB of 933. I would not even need an HDD would I?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 12,474
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro
       #4

    maranna said:
    Do not have the HDD plugged in and install the OS on the SSD, then with PC off, and running OK, plug in the HDD.
    Load some programs there. I have only used 27 GB of 933. I would not even need an HDD would I?
    You show the SSD as 250GB and the HDD as 1TB and 27GB but does that include all the files? There's a number of hidden files especially in the Windows Folder that may be being counted.

    You could get by with only the SSD for awhile but it depends upon what you do, what downloads you save, pictures you have, music, etc. I like using 250GB OS drives but a second of 320GB or 500GB.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 1,249
    Windows 10 Pro
       #5

    Most people would consider total storage space of 250 GB as very constraining. Many people have multiple terabytes of storage and are always running out of space. It all depends on your needs.

    When you have a second drive you must take active steps to use it. Windows will not do this for you. If you have more than 1 drive Windows assumes you know what you are doing with them. If you accept the defaults for where data is stored the secondary drive will remain largely unused.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,327
    10 Pro retail 1909
    Thread Starter
       #6

    I have no pictures and am not a gamer.
    If the SSD became full and I has 250 HDD how do I know when to use the HDD and what happens when the SSD is full?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 246
    Win 11 Pro
       #7

    You install Windows on the main OS drive, and when you install programs you install them on the main drive unless it's something like Steam or other stuff that you want on the storage drive. If you install games, or programs that you don't care if the storage drive crashes, even if you have backups, install to the storage drive. Like if you install Steam, torrent, downloads for your browser, temporary files etc.

    It's easy, when you install a new software, just select custom to select install destination, just switch the letter from the main drive to storage drive (Example: c:\Program Files\New Program, replace to f:\Program Files\New Program). You can also use custom folders if you feel comfortable. I personally use (\Games \Programs \Downloads) etc without subfolders on the storage drive. Its up to you, as long as you maintain a proper structure and remember where your stuff is. I recommend backup up your boot/os drive to your storage drive for easy recovery if you want to replace in case of crash or upgrade with a drive with more storage. I use Macrium Reflect for that. You just need to burn an image on a DVD if you have an optical drive to boot the recovery mode or save the image to an USB Stick. An external USB hard drive is also nice/recommended to do periodic backups of your boot drive image, and your storage drive content.
      My Computers


  8. whs
    Posts : 1,935
    Windows 7
       #8

    In your case the 250GB will go a long way. Put everything on it but split the space between an OS partition (appr. 60GB) and the rest for a data partition. That will make imaging easier.

    The 1TB HDD has a good use for images of the said 2 partitions. Then you always want a partition (maybe 100GB) for miscellaneous.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 1,327
    10 Pro retail 1909
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Once again all your info goes in my learning folder. I used Macrium free for years and had images of 7,8,8.1 and 10 but they pulled the rug. The site says free but when you go to install it says trial/free and tells you you have 30 days. I am trying Aomei free but am not happy with it. Old, sick and long time retired so parameters are almost impossible but I'll do it. I had Acronis once and I think macrium is the best but the price is high especially for more than 1 PC. I think Holland bought it and changed the rules.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 2,790
    Linux Mint 20.1 Win10Prox64
       #10

    maranna said:
    Once again all your info goes in my learning folder. I used Macrium free for years and had images of 7,8,8.1 and 10 but they pulled the rug. The site says free but when you go to install it says trial/free and tells you you have 30 days. I am trying Aomei free but am not happy with it. Old, sick and long time retired so parameters are almost impossible but I'll do it. I had Acronis once and I think macrium is the best but the price is high especially for more than 1 PC. I think Holland bought it and changed the rules.
    Apparently you selected the wrong version. Instead of free, you selected the trial. Try to uninstall the trial version then re-install with free version.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:50.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums