build pc

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,324
    10 Pro retail 1909
    Thread Starter
       #61

    essenbe


    Hi again @essenbe -Please give me your opinion;I don't want to be cheap and sorry later. Please be up front about my picks.

    simrick has done a lot of work. A PC is a rather big deal for me and I don't wan to goof.
    I would like you to give some advice if you would b/c I picked out a rig that I think will do but want to you to sort of give some corrections if necessary.

    1-Is this coming to me already built or do I build it as planned?

    2- Regarding SSD size, I have used 29 GB on my current PC so do you think just the 250 GB is enough space and can I add an HDD if I need. In view of my usage what would you recommend?

    3-Can I just get in touch with PCPP and tell them not to include the OS and get my own and do the same with other parts?

    4-can I get USB now?

    5-This is 64 bit right?

    6=I am confused about memory. Can I get it as is if I am dealing with PCPP and add or replace w/o trouble?

    7-Can I skip the extra video card and use the one it comes with; by that I mean as not a gamer will it do a decent video job.? I would get a monitor. However if it needs the card I would get it.

    8- Lastly, do I just contact PCPP and tell them what I want and they send it not as prebuilt but with the pats as I am explainig to you.

    The whole ides was to build my own with your help. I feel due to the restrictions I mentioned, dealing with PCPP is the best for me.

    Thanx a lot and i look forward to your candid advice.

    Peter
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 12,724
    Windows 11 Pro
       #62

    maranna said:
    Hi again @essenbe -Please give me your opinion;I don't want to be cheap and sorry later. Please be up front about my picks.

    simrick has done a lot of work. A PC is a rather big deal for me and I don't wan to goof.
    I would like you to give some advice if you would b/c I picked out a rig that I think will do but want to you to sort of give some corrections if necessary.

    1-Is this coming to me already built or do I build it as planned?
    I have never used them but as I understand it, you pick the parts and buy them yourself somewhere else. In your build, if you will click the "Your selected Merchants" at the very bottom of the page, it gives you a breakdown of each part by merchant.

    maranna said:
    2- Regarding SSD size, I have used 29 GB on my current PC so do you think just the 250 GB is enough space and can I add an HDD if I need. In view of my usage what would you recommend?
    If you have only used 29 GB of space on your current hard drive, a 250 GB SSD would probably be more than you would ever use. You could probably get by with a 120 GB SSD if you wanted to try it.

    maranna said:
    3-Can I just get in touch with PCPP and tell them not to include the OS and get my own and do the same with other parts?
    Yes. You can leave any part out. As I understand it, you will buy all of your parts somewhere else.

    maranna said:
    4-can I get USB now?
    I am not sure what you are asking, but USB 2.0 and 3.0 are a part of the motherboard.

    maranna said:
    5-This is 64 bit right?
    Yes it will run 64 bit and 32 bit, either one.

    maranna said:
    6=I am confused about memory. Can I get it as is if I am dealing with PCPP and add or replace w/o trouble?
    I always recommend buying all memory in kits. Kits are tested to work together. All major brands have a lifetime warranty. While it can be done, it is better if you don't add more memory later. You can do it, but it can cause problems in some cases. You will not run out of memory with 16 GB, or even 8 probably.

    maranna said:
    7-Can I skip the extra video card and use the one it comes with; by that I mean as not a gamer will it do a decent video job.? I would get a monitor. However if it needs the card I would get it.
    Yes, you can run off of the on board graphics (Integrated) and it will do fine for most things other than games. If you find you need more, buy a Graphics card then.

    maranna said:
    8- Lastly, do I just contact PCPP and tell them what I want and they send it not as prebuilt but with the pats as I am explainig to you.
    As I stated earlier. I have never used them, but I understand you will actually purchase the parts somewhere else. PCPP just enables you to put a system together and ensures your parts are compatible. It also gives you an idea of the prices you can get the parts for and where are the best prices for each part.

    If you would prefer to buy a prebuilt system, just let us know. We will try to help you. There are other options also. Just let us know what you want and we will try to help you do it anyway you want. @simrick has recent experience with PCPP and may be better able to answer your questions about them than I am.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #63

    Originally Posted by maranna

    8- Lastly, do I just contact PCPP and tell them what I want and they send it not as prebuilt but with the pats as I am explainig to you.
    You do not buy from PCPP. You simply make your parts selections using their web site, as they tell you if you choose something that is incompatible, and also give you best prices at that time.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,324
    10 Pro retail 1909
    Thread Starter
       #64

    build


    That was Blue Tooth not USB in my earlier post.

    I think I had the wrong idea. I thought for compatibility I would do all with PCPP and they send the parts for me to assemble. I see now why Micro Center is a viable alternative. Hard physically but I will do it.
    I think it was suggested that I go there and have a tech show me what to get and I could bring the parts information home. If agreeable I would buy them to assemble them here later.
    I can use PCPP for comparative costs also.
    Does this sound right?
    Go to MC and do as explained above then tell you all what I have to check for compatibility?
    I should tell them my over all plan and budget.
    I could buy the parts as I go like motherboard, CPU and cooler, and case once you have approved them.
    If this is the way, I will be off to MC soon. Approval 1st then buy.
    TY
    Peter
    PS. I know it has been a long thread but I had no idea what I was doing, obviously. Now I have some parts names and #'s to go on and a direction that I understand.
    simricck Allons - y let's get to it. Estoy tratando apprender Espanol a de mas Frances. Dos idiomas's esta bien.
    I learned French now Spanish with the headset. I noticed your signature. That's what old geezers do. The PC is next.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,324
    10 Pro retail 1909
    Thread Starter
       #65

    I cannot find a Windows 10 x 64 which is not OEM which means it can only be used in one PC. This is a search online.
    Would a retail store have it or is it not available? I am going to micro center soon but was curious before I chased my tail.

    Simrick, may I ask where you got your initial parts like motherboard, CPU, cooler and case. One place or more?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 12,724
    Windows 11 Pro
       #66

    Maranna, here is a full version of Windows 10 that you can order from Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832588528

    May I suggest you call Microcenter and ask if they will build the computer for you, or if you have a shop near you that you can trust, ask how much they will charge to build it for you if you buy the parts. You can buy all of the parts from Microcenter or order them from several places online.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 12,413
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro
       #67

    maranna said:
    I cannot find a Windows 10 x 64 which is not OEM which means it can only be used in one PC. This is a search online.
    Would a retail store have it or is it not available? I am going to micro center soon but was curious before I chased my tail.
    This page shows it is available and may give hints as to what to look for.
    Microsoft releases official retail pricing for Windows 10 | PCWorld
    I'd try Amazon.com, Newegg.com, TigerDirect.com, etc. There's also DirectDeals.com and RoyalDiscount.com.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #68

    maranna said:
    I cannot find a Windows 10 x 64 which is not OEM which means it can only be used in one PC. This is a search online.
    Would a retail store have it or is it not available? I am going to micro center soon but was curious before I chased my tail.

    Simrick, may I ask where you got your initial parts like motherboard, CPU, cooler and case. One place or more?
    Hi.
    Here's a retail version of W10 Pro:
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 32-bit/64-bit - USB Drive FQC-08788 - Micro Center


    and here's W10 Home:
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 32-bit/64-bit - USB Drive KW9-00016 - Micro Center


    I went to PCPP and selected all my components (with the help of @essenbe), then went on the Microcenter web site and looked them all up, logged into my account, added them to my cart, and made the purchase with "in-store pickup". I am lucky (as are you) to have a Microcenter within driving distance, otherwise I would have been ordering from the likes of Amazon, Newegg, etc.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 1,324
    10 Pro retail 1909
    Thread Starter
       #69

    @simrick -it was nice of you detail how you actually did this as it was getting a bit confusing -thank you.
    How did you get the components to essenbe to look over; was it a piece at a time, a cart to view or a written list??
    Also, did you have any compatibility issues with the build components from PCPP at Micro Center? I cannot remember but someone said this was an issue for them.
    @essenbe - Thank you for the idea of having it built for me. I could be biting off more than I can chew but I would like to give it a shot. I know my questions suggest I can get confused easily but if you don't mind helping then I'd like to pursue this.
    I noticed at 4 sites that Win 10 Pro 64 byte costs $200. I have a USB of Win 10 PRO 64 byte I made from an ISO file at Tech Bench as I wanted a source with Wim for all DISM repairs. Could this be used or would servers identify and reject it?
    TY folks
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #70

    maranna said:
    @simrick -it was nice of you detail how you actually did this as it was getting a bit confusing -thank you.
    Not a problem.

    maranna said:
    How did you get the components to essenbe to look over; was it a piece at a time, a cart to view or a written list??
    I selected them on PCPP, sent the link to @essenbe.

    maranna said:
    Also, did you have any compatibility issues with the build components from PCPP at Micro Center? I cannot remember but someone said this was an issue for them.
    Microcenter do not carry G. Skill RAM, at least not on their web site. So I substituted Crucial brand, and got everything from Microcenter, except the separate graphics/video card, which I bought at a later date.


    maranna said:
    @essenbe - Thank you for the idea of having it built for me. I could be biting off more than I can chew but I would like to give it a shot. I know my questions suggest I can get confused easily but if you don't mind helping then I'd like to pursue this.
    I noticed at 4 sites that Win 10 Pro 64 byte costs $200. I have a USB of Win 10 PRO 64 byte I made from an ISO file at Tech Bench as I wanted a source with Wim for all DISM repairs. Could this be used or would servers identify and reject it?
    TY folks
    Just FYI, the ISO you downloaded is fine, you just need a retail key to activate it.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums