Windows 10: Intel 750 on Asus X99-A Mobo Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Submarine's Avatar
    Posts : 43
    (1&2) Windows 10 Pro (retail USB)
       25 Oct 2015 #1

    Intel 750 on Asus X99-A Mobo


    Just built a new computer on the Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 mobo. I installed my GTX 980 GPU on the first 16x slot, and wanted to install the 750 add-in in the 16_4 (8x) slot. It hit the USB 3.0 Connection for my front panel, so this was not possible. Instead installed in the 16_3 (16x) slot. Problem is that the corner of the SSD PCB rests firmly upon the PCH heatsink. Looking for advice on how to manage this prior to starting up. Anyone who has solved this problem?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 5,415
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint
       25 Oct 2015 #2

    Submarine said: View Post
    Just built a new computer on the Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 mobo. I installed my GTX 980 GPU on the first 16x slot, and wanted to install the 750 add-in in the 16_4 (8x) slot. It hit the USB 3.0 Connection for my front panel, so this was not possible. Instead installed in the 16_3 (16x) slot. Problem is that the corner of the SSD PCB rests firmly upon the PCH heatsink. Looking for advice on how to manage this prior to starting up. Anyone who has solved this problem?
    I've seen this problem on an older build and the best solution was a new motherboard. It's all about the layout of devices fastened to the board, a microATX board gives less possibilities than a full ATX board. Then I had to get a taller tower case to hold the full ATX board but it worked out better than I planned as I could add a second HDD without interfering with other things. A possibility with the full ATX board is some have 2 PCIe X16 slots.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. badrobot's Avatar
    Posts : 5,135
    Win 10 Pro x64
       25 Oct 2015 #3

    Berton said: View Post
    I've seen this problem on an older build and the best solution was a new motherboard. It's all about the layout of devices fastened to the board, a microATX board gives less possibilities than a full ATX board. Then I had to get a taller tower case to hold the full ATX board but it worked out better than I planned as I could add a second HDD without interfering with other things. A possibility with the full ATX board is some have 2 PCIe X16 slots.
    Your best option maybe a PCIe riser/extension cable but you have to think of a way to position and mount your SSD. The low profile bracket may help with that.

    Something like this: http://www.amazon.ca/PCI-E-Express-E.../dp/B008BZBFTG
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. Submarine's Avatar
    Posts : 43
    (1&2) Windows 10 Pro (retail USB)
    Thread Starter
       26 Oct 2015 #4

    The motherboard is ATX. Perhaps I can shift place between the GPU and the SSD. As both slots are 16x directly to the CPU (40 lane processor), it should not matter, should it? I know it is generally recommended to have the GPU in the first slot, but isn´t that because most motherboards only have one 16x slot directly to the CPU and the rest to PLX chips? Or have I perhaps missed something?

    Edit: Took Another look. Will not work shifting place. Will still hit the PCH. Problem is that the SSD rests 1 mm lower than the graphics card. I wonder if this is the way it should be, or is it perhaps something wrong with the SSD or the mobo?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    26 Oct 2015 #5

    Some people take drastic measures to make a video card fit. Don't try this at home.

    Modifying a PCI-E 16x Card to fit into a PCI-E 1x slot - YouTube
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. badrobot's Avatar
    Posts : 5,135
    Win 10 Pro x64
       26 Oct 2015 #6

    Submarine said: View Post
    The motherboard is ATX. Perhaps I can shift place between the GPU and the SSD. As both slots are 16x directly to the CPU (40 lane processor), it should not matter, should it? I know it is generally recommended to have the GPU in the first slot, but isn´t that because most motherboards only have one 16x slot directly to the CPU and the rest to PLX chips? Or have I perhaps missed something?

    Edit: Took Another look. Will not work shifting place. Will still hit the PCH. Problem is that the SSD rests 1 mm lower than the graphics card. I wonder if this is the way it should be, or is it perhaps something wrong with the SSD or the mobo?


    You should probably just sell that 750 and get the Samsung SM951 NvME. You have an M.2 Gen3 slot. That's all you need. I have the AHCI version.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. essenbe's Avatar
    Posts : 11,358
    Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Pro Insider
       26 Oct 2015 #7

    Samsung is coming out with the 950 Pro M.2 X4 SSD on October 29th. It is supposed to be faster and a better buy than the Intel 750.
    Amazon.com: Samsung 950 PRO -Series 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD 2-Inch MZ-V5P512BW: Computers Accessories

    Why don't you put it in the bottom sata express slot. It is an X4 slot and the 750 is an X4 card. Is that the slot you had trouble with?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8. Submarine's Avatar
    Posts : 43
    (1&2) Windows 10 Pro (retail USB)
    Thread Starter
       27 Oct 2015 #8

    Antilope said: View Post
    Some people take drastic measures to make a video card fit. Don't try this at home.

    Modifying a PCI-E 16x Card to fit into a PCI-E 1x slot - YouTube
    Well, that´s drastic, Lol!

    badrobot said: View Post
    You should probably just sell that 750 and get the Samsung SM951 NvME. You have an M.2 Gen3 slot. That's all you need. I have the AHCI version.
    The 750 should be good enough. I am a bit scared by the heat generated by the M.2 SSDs.

    essenbe said: View Post
    Samsung is coming out with the 950 Pro M.2 X4 SSD on October 29th. It is supposed to be faster and a better buy than the Intel 750.
    Amazon.com: Samsung 950 PRO -Series 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD 2-Inch MZ-V5P512BW: Computers Accessories

    Why don't you put it in the bottom sata express slot. It is an X4 slot and the 750 is an X4 card. Is that the slot you had trouble with?
    I found the problem. The retention bracket was slightly bent, lifting up the front a bit. After fixing that, the SSD sits as it should, without touching the PCH. I felt it clicking in, but apparently it bumped back up a bit, and stayed like that, yet I fastened it with the screw . If I install it in the bottom slot (8x with my CPU), which is the place I would prefer, it conflicts with the front panel USB3 connector.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. badrobot's Avatar
    Posts : 5,135
    Win 10 Pro x64
       27 Oct 2015 #9

    Submarine said: View Post


    I am a bit scared by the heat generated by the M.2 SSDs.
    Yeah, M.2 SSD is hotter than regular SSDs (sometimes goes to mid-50s to low 60s when gaming). That's why I placed a special fan for it that blows air directly to it. To make matters worse, my M.2 Gen3 slot is right under the GPU. With the special, I was able to keep the temps down to below 40 all the time.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20151016_20_06_16_Pro[1].jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	45017
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. Submarine's Avatar
    Posts : 43
    (1&2) Windows 10 Pro (retail USB)
    Thread Starter
       27 Oct 2015 #10

    badrobot said: View Post
    Yeah, M.2 SSD is hotter than regular SSDs (sometimes goes to mid-50s to low 60s when gaming). That's why I placed a special fan for it that blows air directly to it. To make matters worse, my M.2 Gen3 slot is right under the GPU. With the special, I was able to keep the temps down to below 40 all the time.
    Yes that would be necessary. This review guided me away from M.2. I sometimes copy quite a lot of files.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Hello! I have already contacted Asus about it, but I post it here as well, just in case someone knows the answer and can help me. I have an Asus P8H61 motherboard which is based on Intel H61 chipset (socket 1155). This motherboard supports Intel...
Hello all, I recently did the upgrade to 10 when they sent it to me. However I didn't really get to use it because there apparently is/was no drivers for the LAN adapter on my MOBO. Still haven't been able to find them. Asus said they where...
Hi guys, Got this laptop (Asus F751LN) and it has a 24GB SSD (and a separate 1TB HDD) which I assume is used for data caching. Problem is I looked quite a bit over various threads and forums and didn't found an answer to my question. And that...
I used the upgrade tool to install w10x64. Installation went fine, I can use my computer and all. Problem is that both of my LAN ports don't work. I get the usual red icon in the taskbar that shows no internet. I went into networking and it doesn't...
Not sure what Ms has done in the latest updates -- but I can't get any sound now from APPS like VLC / Windows media player etc etc - although Windows sound events work perfectly !!!!!. HDMI works fine but Analog fails if I'm using a bog standard...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Š Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:00.
Find Us