Laptop Fan Running Constantly


  1. bru
    Posts : 384
    Windows 10 Home
       #1

    Laptop Fan Running Constantly


    Three year old HP laptop, fan has always been noisy but this is new. I have tried everything I have found via Google to stop the fan but nothing is working. If I put the laptop on battery the fan stops almost immediately but as soon as its plugged in it starts again. There is no difference in the power setting for System Cooling. Any suggestions other than tearing it apart?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 23,476
    Win 10 Home ♦♦♦19045.4412 (x64) [22H2]
       #2

    bru said:
    Three year old HP laptop, fan has always been noisy but this is new. I have tried everything I have found via Google to stop the fan but nothing is working. If I put the laptop on battery the fan stops almost immediately but as soon as its plugged in it starts again. There is no difference in the power setting for System Cooling. Any suggestions other than tearing it apart?



    Have you tried blowing the dust out of the laptop?



      My Computer


  3. bru
    Posts : 384
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Ghot said:
    Have you tried blowing the dust out of the laptop?



    Without opening it, yes. Pretty sure its not related to dirt. There is clearly something wrong with the profile/power settings somehow since it only runs when plugged in.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 23,476
    Win 10 Home ♦♦♦19045.4412 (x64) [22H2]
       #4

    bru said:
    Without opening it, yes. Pretty sure its not related to dirt. There is clearly something wrong with the profile/power settings somehow since it only runs when plugged in.


    When on battery, most things would be set to run slowly.
    You can check the Power settings in Control Panel. See how the fans are when set to balanced or power saver.

    Sometimes, Windows Updates will change the power settings.
      My Computer


  5. bru
    Posts : 384
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Ghot said:
    When on battery, most things would be set to run slowly.
    You can check the Power settings in Control Panel. See how the fans are when set to balanced or power saver.

    Sometimes, Windows Updates will change the power settings.
    Nothing has changed. Even when I switch the System Cooling toPassive it still runs.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 23,476
    Win 10 Home ♦♦♦19045.4412 (x64) [22H2]
       #6

    bru said:
    Nothing has changed. Even when I switch the System Cooling toPassive it still runs.


    Then you may want to monitor your temps. "Something" is making the fan rev up... and something is probably heat, or the fan settings itself (BIOS or 3rd party fan control software).
      My Computer


  7. bru
    Posts : 384
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Yep clearly something is causing it, can't figure out what. I imagine it will either burn itself out/fail at some point if this keeps up.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 6,401
    Windows 11 Pro - Windows 7 HP - Lubuntu
       #8

    Download OpenHarwareMonitor.
    Extract to C:\Program Files (x86)\HardwareMonitor and run OpenHarwareMonitor.exe
    It will track the temperatures (current, min & Max). Unfortunately laptops don't monitor fan speed.
    You can configure what to show on the gadget and try.
    You can set to run on startup
    Laptop Fan Running Constantly-hard_mon.jpg
    Laptop Fan Running Constantly-hdmonitor2.jpg
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 1,807
    Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1348
       #9

    OpenHardwareMonitor is an excellent tool to track performance/temperature-related faults.

    A quick and easy check, especially if you're noticing a profound difference between powering on AC & battery, would be to get familiar with the built-in task manager.

    Launch the task manager, click on the Processes tab, and then click the top bar at the CPU column to sort from highest to lowest.
    Spend time studying the relative numbers you see while on battery, maybe grab a few screen captures for reference, and then do the same while plugged into AC.

    There shouldn't be any difference seen on the task manager between the power sources, if the power configuration settings are exactly the same, however; you may see the cpu% much higher while on AC.

    As pointed out by Ghot, there could be differences set in the power configuration area that will generate more heat and get the fan wailing.

    These different configurations could result in an increased cpu% and if you see this increase, this will likely confirm a configuration difference to be found and adjusted, if you so choose.

    Laptop Fan Running Constantly-0601b-task-manager.jpg
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums