CPU upgrade no post

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

  1. Posts : 2,209
    Windows 11 Pro 64-bit v23H2
       #71

    Another option is to look for a refurbished or off-lease computer. Online they are often referred to as "renewed". You just have to be careful what you buy and whether it is selling for a good price.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 1,250
    Windows 10
       #72

    Trebor58 said:
    Ok, so it looks like adding this CPU upgrade will be a waste of time... As you guys clearly state this will be going back wards, so open to any suggestions.
    Please before anyone advises me that this system is EOF, I know that but sadly this is all I can afford, after losing everything due to Covid-19.

    So I am open to suggestion other than scarp it... Have been looking at motherboard bundles on eBay, but again out of financial reach, and the cheaper ones, not sure if I will have the same issues.

    Sorry about our Wayne story, just wanted to explain.
    The motherboard is still good its just less desirable over the others in its family, take anything i say with a grain of salt too at the end of the day others opinions are just exactly that.

    There is no reason why you cannot make your current parts into a decent computer the only thing i pointed out was that it does not have VRM coolers like the other ones but that is not really a big deal.

    it is still a good foundation 1155 is a hybrid socket and its a collectable for this reason, 1155 is still a solid computer today, what you have is still good.

    its also apart of the holy trinity which is just what i call it because the first three generations were powerhouses compared to the previous tech and that is why they held up for so long and we can still use them today for like 90% of tasks.

    - - - Updated - - -

    if its all you can afford you can still do a lot with this computer and you will be able to play many games still and other workloads will be fine.

    This guy is building to the time period with some of his parts but look at the games he is playing. Plenty of computer there still and those are benchmarks so unrealistic real word values as we are not pushing our games as hard in real game play for several reasons.



    - - - Updated - - -

    he should be also hitting a lot higher fps like a few hundred but this will be first benchmarks after building it.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 4,632
    several
       #73

    Trebor58 said:
    Ok, so it looks like adding this CPU upgrade will be a waste of time... As you guys clearly state this will be going back wards, so open to any suggestions.
    Please before anyone advises me that this system is EOF, I know that but sadly this is all I can afford, after losing everything due to Covid-19.

    So I am open to suggestion other than scarp it... Have been looking at motherboard bundles on eBay, but again out of financial reach, and the cheaper ones, not sure if I will have the same issues.

    Sorry about our Wayne story, just wanted to explain.
    It is not a waste of time. You now have the i5-3550s ( which you ended up getting free ). It makes sense to use that because it is an upgrade on your previous i3.

    It will keep you going for a while.

    I fired up my old b75 mobo with i5-3570s last night. It works well, good enough for most things. The B75 I have is a cheap motherboard only meant for office systems, it only has one sata 3 port. It all works well even now.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,250
    Windows 10
       #74

    yea agree these old computers still have lots of life in them and some people don't realize what they have sometimes, if only we could see more of these older computers in the trash lol, or on a curb somewhere, nah actually that is a bad statement coz they might not get saved in time.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I just realized that is a z77 in the video bit sleepy atm but it will be around the same sort of experience.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 2,209
    Windows 11 Pro 64-bit v23H2
       #75

    SIW2 said:
    It is not a waste of time. You now have the i5-3550s ( which you ended up getting free ). It makes sense to use that because it is an upgrade on your previous i3.

    It will keep you going for a while.

    I fired up my old b75 mobo with i5-3570s last night. It works well, good enough for most things. The B75 I have is a cheap motherboard only meant for office systems, it only has one sata 3 port. It all works well even now.
    Another thing you can do with an old computer is replace the original HDD with a SSD. An SSD will not only make the computer boot faster but make it more responsive at the desktop. You can get a 1TB 2.5-inch SATA SSD for $50 or less.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 1,250
    Windows 10
       #76

    yeah got to try maximize where you can you have dual channel with only two channels which means only up to 16gb ram totally doable but could hamper some people. You should be overclocking on these too to make the most of them.

    That GT 210 will be severely holding the PC back and you would want a GTX 780 minimum but a 980 or 1080 would be good.

    It depends on what you want to do with the computer though you never really specified sorry i am coming from a gamers standpoint because i game.

    - - - Updated - - -

    bit of a space heater i have some of these but good value for what they are and would be the bare minimum depending on if you game or not, i see they have also some other better options but if it does not matter to you then its not really a issue, just a suggestion.

    R9 390

    GTX 780
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 62
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #77

    Ok, stand by your beds.... Wait for it the suspense is over and the i5 is now installed and runs perfect.

    I do have a SSD main drive 1.98 TB , along side a 5TB HDD, and a 3TB HDD.

    The system is a lot more responsive, and I have removed the the Gigabyte GV-N210SL-1GI graphics card, so I can only assume that the original i5 was duff.

    Thank you again for all your support...
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 2,209
    Windows 11 Pro 64-bit v23H2
       #78

    Trebor58 said:
    Ok, stand by your beds.... Wait for it the suspense is over and the i5 is now installed and runs perfect.

    I do have a SSD main drive 1.98 TB , along side a 5TB HDD, and a 3TB HDD.

    The system is a lot more responsive, and I have removed the the Gigabyte GV-N210SL-1GI graphics card, so I can only assume that the original i5 was duff.

    Thank you again for all your support...
    Glad everything worked out. Is there a reason you removed the Gigabyte GV-N210SL-1GI graphics card?
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 62
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #79

    MisterEd said:
    Glad everything worked out. Is there a reason you removed the Gigabyte GV-N210SL-1GI graphics card?
    Yes as I mentioned it was causing a "The VGA Card is Not Supported by UEFI Driver" error message when I switched on, but as is well now I am using the onboard graphics, running one monitor from the HDMI port and the other from the VGA port, so all is good
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 4,632
    several
       #80

    Trebor58 said:
    Ok, stand by your beds.... Wait for it the suspense is over and the i5 is now installed and runs perfect.

    The system is a lot more responsive...so I can only assume that the original i5 was duff.

    Thank you again for all your support...
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:10.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums