Do I have my heat sink installed incorrectly?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. smirk24's Avatar
    Posts : 207
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit
       #1

    Do I have my heat sink installed incorrectly?


    I bought and installed the ARESGAME River 5 CPU Air Cooler and in the reviews for it people are getting 22c for there temps and I'm getting anywhere from 30 to 40c with the same cooler.


    Do I have my heat sink installed incorrectly?-screenshot_20210731-022838_amazon-shopping.jpg

    Any ideas?

    The cpu I'm using is i5 4590 (should also be mentioned in the specs on my tenforums profile)
      My Computers


  2. rqt
    Posts : 122
    Windows 10 mainly 64 bit
       #2

    What is the ambient temperature where your computer is located?

    (currently in the UK ambient temperatures are frequently above 22C - in which case whatever air or water cooler you're using you cannot get 22C CPU temperature without refrigeration - in this kind of situation 30 to 40C at idle sounds reasonable to me)
      My Computer

  3. Ghot's Avatar
    Posts : 12,341
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1237 (x64) [21H2]
       #3

    @smirk24 What @rqt said, and you want your case fan air flow like this...


    Do I have my heat sink installed incorrectly?-image1.png
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 2,097
    Windows 10
       #4

    Most people do not know how to do measurements properly which accounts for most low readings. The software used to indicate temperatures may not be calibrated correctly for the MOBO/CPU/GPU sensors.

    One review states 22C at idle and 30C under an unspecified 'stress load'. That is nonsense, likely to be just made up.

    Likewise you have given insufficient information to make any comment at all on whether you have it installed correctly.

    To make any sort of meaningful measurement you would have to run the CPU at near to 100% load, whilst taking readings throughout while the test is being done.

    99% of those Amazon reviews are pointless.
      My Computer

  5. smirk24's Avatar
    Posts : 207
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Do I have my heat sink installed incorrectly?-20210607_070311.jpg

    - - - Updated - - -

    Helmut said:
    Most people do not know how to do measurements properly which accounts for most low readings. The software used to indicate temperatures may not be calibrated correctly for the MOBO/CPU/GPU sensors.

    One review states 22C at idle and 30C under an unspecified 'stress load'. That is nonsense, likely to be just made up.

    Likewise you have given insufficient information to make any comment at all on whether you have it installed correctly.

    To make any sort of meaningful measurement you would have to run the CPU at near to 100% load, whilst taking readings throughout while the test is being done.

    99% of those Amazon reviews are pointless.
    Oh okay I was like I'm pretty sure the heat sink is on there but maybe it's not covering the cpu properly
    Last edited by smirk24; 31 Jul 2021 at 18:38.
      My Computers

  6. bobkn's Avatar
    Posts : 4,050
    Win 11 X64 Pro 21H2 22000.100
       #6

    smirk24 said:
    (snip)

    Oh okay I was like I'm pretty sure the heat sink is on there but maybe it's not covering the cpu prop
    Looks all right, assuming that the cooler's fans blow towards the back of the case.

    When you post "30 to 40C", do you mean at idle, or at full load? I use the "stress" feature of CPU-Z to test full load cooling.

    The main thing that could be done wrong is applying the thermal compound. If the cooler came with pre-applied compound, and you didn't scrape it off when you mounted the cooler, that's unlikely.
      My Computers

  7. smirk24's Avatar
    Posts : 207
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #7

    My Temps go up to 35c when I'm just in the bios.

    As of the fans unless there's a typo in the manuals I have my 3 front fans blowing in air and the same for the cpu cooler and the rear fan is set to blow air out
      My Computers

  8. Dude's Avatar
    Posts : 15,738
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       #8

    Temps will go up in BIOS, thats normal. What temp are you getting under load or gaming? Your idle temps are fine
      My Computers

  9. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 4,956
    Windows 11 Home
       #9

    smirk24 said:
    My Temps go up to 35c when I'm just in the bios.
    Not all CPUs are created equal. You might have a bad egg, but as long as it does not overheat under load, there is no real problem, the warranty would not apply anyway. I would try to test it with the stock cooler and then re-mount this one with a good thermal compound, I prefer MX2, even though there is MX5.

    When reading reviews check the worst one first. They mention, that the backplate shorted the motherboard.
      My Computer

  10. smirk24's Avatar
    Posts : 207
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #10

    TairikuOkami said:
    Not all CPUs are created equal. You might have a bad egg, but as long as it does not overheat under load, there is no real problem, the warranty would not apply anyway. I would try to test it with the stock cooler and then re-mount this one with a good thermal compound, I prefer MX2, even though there is MX5.

    When reading reviews check the worst one first. They mention, that the backplate shorted the motherboard.
    My cpu came out of a Dell and the heat sink was a 5 pin so I don't think I'd be able to do the testing with the stock heat sink

    - - - Updated - - -

    TairikuOkami said:
    Not all CPUs are created equal. You might have a bad egg, but as long as it does not overheat under load, there is no real problem, the warranty would not apply anyway. I would try to test it with the stock cooler and then re-mount this one with a good thermal compound, I prefer MX2, even though there is MX5.

    When reading reviews check the worst one first. They mention, that the backplate shorted the motherboard.
    I can't believe that dude fried his mobo that's crazy.
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:47.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums