ASUS motherboard, ryzen cpu and high speed memory xmp problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. cbm
    Posts : 24
    win 10
       #1

    ASUS motherboard, ryzen cpu and high speed memory xmp problem


    I have this motherboard

    ASUS PRIME-B450M-A

    PRIME B450M-A|Motherboards|ASUS Global

    Just updated it to the latest UEFI/BIOS ->
    Version 2807
    2021/02/09

    this memory kit times 2 (4 modules in total) ->

    https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Catego...tab-tech-specs

    CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit

    and this CPU -> AMD Ryzen 5 2600

    https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-2600

    My memory will only work in at the SPD Speed 2133MHz

    please help

    absolutely NOTHING works

    not DOCP/XMP, not bios update, nothing
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 16,066
    Windows 11 Pro X64
       #2

    Try just two sticks of mem first, 4 can be hard on IMC
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 17,733
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1706 (x64) [21H2]
       #3

    @cbm

    Ok, let's get some CPU-Z screen shots.... like these...


    ASUS motherboard, ryzen cpu and high speed memory xmp problem-image1.png





    Short version...

    1. Turn OFF DOCP or XMP... whichever.
    2. Look at the XMP freq and timings in CPU-Z
    3. Manually SET your Frequency, timings and RAM voltage in the BIOS, as per the XMP numbers in CPU-Z.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 17,733
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1706 (x64) [21H2]
       #4

    ASUS motherboard, ryzen cpu and high speed memory xmp problem-image2.png



    Remember... the frequency you set in the BIOS is 2x what is shown in CPU-Z.
    If the XMP column in the BIOS says 1600, then in the BIOS set the RAM to 3200... etc.

    Set the timings in the BIOS like they are in the XMP column of CPU-Z
    Set the voltage in the BIOS like they are in the XMP column of CPU-Z





    It seems there is no BIOS settings, part to your manual at the ASUS site.

    You CAN take screenshots in the BIOS (F12 key) and save them to a USB flash drive, for posting in here.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 17,733
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1706 (x64) [21H2]
       #5

    The F7 key will get you into advanced mode... which will look something like this...


    Remember... in the BIOS you must set the Memory Frequency, to TWICE what it says in CPU-Z's XMP column.
    ASUS motherboard, ryzen cpu and high speed memory xmp problem-image3.png





    The ones you will need to SET (as per CPU-Z), are marked with RED dots. You will have to guess at...
    DRAM RAS# PRE Time.
    It's usually the same as Trcdwr.


    These are in order... top to bottom, just like in CPU-Z (XMP column), except for DRAM RAS# PRE Time,
    which you will need to guess at.
    ASUS motherboard, ryzen cpu and high speed memory xmp problem-image4.png
      My Computer


  6. cbm
    Posts : 24
    win 10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    CPU-z



    the IA Tuner oc thingy seems to find some settings that match what I can read on corsairs website:

    Tested Latency
    16-18-18-36
    Tested Voltage
    1.35V
    Tested Speed
    3200MHz

    or atleast it suggested 1.35v

    but it prevents the pc from booting just like docp/xmp

    I will try and read and set and get back to you all

    I am really happy to get so many replies.. I am not used to messing with modern memory types

    I might take some bios screenshots also and show you guys

    I am surprised that DOCP doesnt just work though

    I hope I get this sorted because my old rig (i7 6700k + 16 GB DDR4 2666 + GTX1080) currently benchmarks the crap out of my new all amd build
    (the gpu in my ryzen 5 2600 system is an rx5700xt)
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 17,733
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1706 (x64) [21H2]
       #7

    cbm said:
    CPU-z



    the IA Tuner oc thingy seems to find some settings that match what I can read on corsairs website:

    Tested Latency
    16-18-18-36
    Tested Voltage
    1.35V
    Tested Speed
    3200MHz

    or atleast it suggested 1.35v

    but it prevents the pc from booting just like docp/xmp

    I will try and read and set and get back to you all

    I am really happy to get so many replies.. I am not used to messing with modern memory types

    I might take some bios screenshots also and show you guys

    I am surprised that DOCP doesnt just work though

    I hope I get this sorted because my old rig (i7 6700k + 16 GB DDR4 2666 + GTX1080) currently benchmarks the crap out of my new all amd build
    (the gpu in my ryzen 5 2600 system is an rx5700xt)



    Try to boot the PC a few times. Sometimes it takes more than one.
    Each time, enter the BIOS and make sure the settings are right, again.



    ASUS motherboard, ryzen cpu and high speed memory xmp problem-image4.png


    You may have to try 19, or maybe 20 for the DRAM RAS# PRE Time

    The higher the numbers you use on the timings... the easier it is on the RAM, and stability.
    You have to keep the same ratio between the numbers though.
      My Computer


  8. cbm
    Posts : 24
    win 10
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Ghot said:
    Try to boot the PC a few times. Sometimes it takes more than one.
    Each time, enter the BIOS and make sure the settings are right, again.



    ASUS motherboard, ryzen cpu and high speed memory xmp problem-image4.png


    You may have to try 19, and maybe 20 for the DRAM RAS# PRE Time
    cool I will try this and get back to you

    guess the voltage will need fixing each time as well then
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 17,733
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1706 (x64) [21H2]
       #9

    cbm said:
    cool I will try this and get back to you

    guess the voltage will need fixing each time as well then


    It's been a while since I did mine, but it seems that there were one or two things I had to reset each time.
    Maybe frequency and voltage. Maybe all of it.

    The other thing that will help... is make sure you're on the latest BIOS version.
    The BIOS's get better as they go along.
      My Computer


  10. cbm
    Posts : 24
    win 10
    Thread Starter
       #10

    Ghot said:
    It's been a while since I did mine, but it seems that there were one or two things I had to reset each time.
    Maybe frequency and voltage.
    cool ... you are awesome for posting such quick replys

    btw my asus bios/uefi looks very similar to the one you posted pics of

    I will be trying all this tomorrow and see if it can work
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:08.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums