Page 69 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
  1.    07 Jan 2017 #681
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 18,078
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Good morning(in Germany anyhow) badrobot, looking good as always.
    I tried something yesterday to see if that would speed up my M.2 SSD.
    I went into BIOS and set it from AHCI to RAID then turned on IRST, so it would show up in RST inside of Windows and in Magician, and it worked.
    (I did not set up a RAID though, just turned on the possibility)
    Nothing was faster or slower, speeds remained the same.
    But(hear is the WARNING for anyone trying the same).. When I went into BIOS and switched back to AHCI it would BSOD as it couldn't find the boot drive
    I switched back to RAIDŽand was able to boot back into Windows, so I took a look in Device Manager and saw switching to RAID had uninstalled my NVMe driver(both Samsung's & Windows 10's default).
    So I went back into BIOS, switched back to AHCI, let it boot crash twice, went into UEFI recovery/Use another OS/Macrium recovery environment and reimaged it to 27 December(my last image).

    Moral of the story:
    M.2 PCIe NVMe SSDs run just as fast using RAID/IRST but, my PM951(not SM) just isn't as fast as the next Gen are, even though it is PCI 3 X4:

    Turbo M.2

    Delivering speeds up to 32Gb/s using Gen3 x4, Turbo M.2 is over 5 times faster than a regular SATA III connection! Enjoy a blazing fast system boot up and insanely fast loading of applications and games with MSI motherboards.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    07 Jan 2017 #682
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 18,078
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    I saw a video at JayzTwoCents about the EVGA Power Link, I think I really really want one: EVGA - Articles - EVGA PowerLink™


      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    07 Jan 2017 #683
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 18,078
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    You just have to love MSI and their innovation & skills:
    MSI unveiled a unique new feature it is introducing with its next-generation socket LGA1151 motherboards, called the M.2 Shield. This is an aluminium heatspreader that acts as a full-length cover over the motherboard's M.2-2280 slots, hinged near the M.2 interface. The heatspreader has non-conductive thermal padding on the inside, letting it make contact with the drive's hot components (controller, NAND-flash chips, etc), and pushing heat over to the heatspreader. MSI claims that this lowers temperatures, and reduces throttling on some of the high-performance M.2 PCIe SSDs
    MSI Unveils the M.2 Shield, SSD Cooling Feature on Upcoming Motherboards | techPowerUp


    Huh, clever. So you just bought a 960 Pro, and rad our review, noticed the heat signature and figire what now .. well MSI might have an answer to that with the M.2 Shield.
    The M.2 Shield basically is a heat sink, all styled and looking nice to match the motherboard that is offered with this feature. It covers M.2-2280 slots and the heat-spreader has been fitted with non-conductive thermal padding on the inside and thus covers the controller, NAND-ICs and other chips.
    MSI To Include M.2 Shield SSD Cooling Feature on New Motherboards

      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    07 Jan 2017 #684
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,661
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    Good morning(in Germany anyhow) badrobot, looking good as always.
    I tried something yesterday to see if that would speed up my M.2 SSD.
    I went into BIOS and set it from AHCI to RAID then turned on IRST, so it would show up in RST inside of Windows and in Magician, and it worked.
    (I did not set up a RAID though, just turned on the possibility)
    Nothing was faster or slower, speeds remained the same.
    But(hear is the WARNING for anyone trying the same).. When I went into BIOS and switched back to AHCI it would BSOD as it couldn't find the boot drive
    I switched back to RAIDŽand was able to boot back into Windows, so I took a look in Device Manager and saw switching to RAID had uninstalled my NVMe driver(both Samsung's & Windows 10's default).
    So I went back into BIOS, switched back to AHCI, let it boot crash twice, went into UEFI recovery/Use another OS/Macrium recovery environment and reimaged it to 27 December(my last image).

    Moral of the story:
    M.2 PCIe NVMe SSDs run just as fast using RAID/IRST but, my PM951(not SM) just isn't as fast as the next Gen are, even though it is PCI 3 X4:
    Thanks for the info Cliff.

    Remember the Thermaltake PCIe slot fan I mentioned to you about (photo below)?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017_01_07_19_44_241.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	116177

    When I was still using the previous horizontal case, I remember I removed the slot bracket on it and positioned it to blow air directly into the M.2 SSD which was under the GPU. Here's the old video I did for it.



    It was actually very effective. Now I am thinking of modifying that same PCI fan again to turn it around and push the air towards the M.2 SSD behind it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    07 Jan 2017 #685
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    x
    Posts : 225
    Win 10

    Have you thought of using a heatsink on the M.2 ?:

    Premium N80 NVME NGFF M.2 2280 SSD Cooling Aluminum Heatsink (Gold) - modDIY.com

    If not enough room what about removing the sticker to allow air to hits chips directly although a heatsink would be better ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    07 Jan 2017 #686
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,661
    Win 10 Pro x64

    @Cliff S , I did a little test with the PCIe fan and there is a very significant difference. I took the temperature screenshot at the exact same stage of the diskmark benchmark test (don't mind the result, the M,2 is not on the fast slot).

    With the fan...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170107_215412.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	116243

    Without the fan...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170107_215439.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	116244
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    08 Jan 2017 #687
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 18,078
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    @badrobot wow!
    20°C is quite a bit of a drop

    With my PM951, Speccy doesn't see temps for the M.2:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	116259

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	116260
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    08 Jan 2017 #688
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,661
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    @badrobot wow!
    20°C is quite a bit of a drop

    With my PM951, Speccy doesn't see temps for the M.2:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	116259

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	116260
    Is that a fully installed Speccy or just a portable one? I am using a portable Speccy.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    08 Jan 2017 #689
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 18,078
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by badrobot View Post
    Is that a fully installed Speccy or just a portable one? I am using a portable Speccy.
    I use the installer.

    But I went and installed CrystalDiskInfo and now can see my M.2's info.
    The latest version 7.0.5 supports NVMe(I should to send the dev a few €€€'s his way)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	116261
    It even comes with an alarm!
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    08 Jan 2017 #690
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 18,078
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    A good piece of software after you take the time to set it up!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 011.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	984.6 KB 
ID:	116262

    The heat does come from the SSD it self, and not from being in between the CPU & GPU.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	116263
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 69 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Show Us Your Temps
I thought since a lot of us on this forum are general PC (Windows) enthusiasts, that it would be fun to compare temperatures. The specific temperature I am interested in is the CPU temp. Please provide a screenshot showing your temps. You...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Solved TechSpot SSD Show Down
Was reading some info on SSDs over on TechSpot, and thought I would shear. Hope you find this info hopeful when deciding on an SSD for the first time or even if just upgrading from an old one. At the top of the food chain are Samsung's SM951 and...
Drivers and Hardware
Show us your Start!
Chillout Room
Show off your PC!
Chillout Room
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:39.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums