New build in the making....

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 2,663
    Windows 11 21H2 (22000.593)
       #1

    New build in the making....


    Those of you who know me, know that I'm running on a rather ancient rig. All specs up to date in my system 1 listings.

    However, the time has come to finally upgrade. And it's gonna be a doozy.

    Without further ado, I present: The Beast (Mark A)

    My Screw You Intel Build - Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core, GeForce GTX 1050 2 GB SSC GAMING, Define 7 XL Dark ATX Full Tower - PCPartPicker

    I plan to watch prices for about a week, and then I'm starting the buying. I hope to be fully complete prior to mid-July, barring unavailability of any core items.

    Once it gets built, pictures galore will abound.

    The only thing I'm carrying over are the monitors, the video card, a GTX 970, because I'm going to wait for the GTX 3k series, and my Blu-Ray burner. I will also be bringing over the storage, both SSDs and at least the pair of Seagate barracuda mechanical drives, at least to begin with, until I decide that I don't need them anymore....
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 2,773
    Windows 11 Pro, 21H2
       #2

    Sounds like a sweet rig, John.

    Gotta say, there is nothing I love more than putting together a machine that custom built to meet your own personal specs. My second favorite thing is living vicariously through builds others put together especially since my upgrades will have to wait a while still .

    Looking forward to your pics and descriptions of the build process.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 2,663
    Windows 11 21H2 (22000.593)
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Lol! I've been out of the game for a while - although I've performed numerous upgrades on my current rig over the years, I haven't touched CPU / mobo / RAM since I built it as an emergency replacement for my C2Q 6600 build that was fried by a lightning strike during my Masters program. I'm truly stoked to actually be able to build a full rig, with only a couple of holdovers, which I haven't done since the Core2Q build in ... summer 2008, IIRC.

    I'll probably put the pics in Google Photos and link here, as that is my preferred method to share tons of pics with ppl. I plan to do at least a couple of unboxing videos (gotta love my Coral) - but overall, I'm just excited to be doing this for myself.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 12,726
    Windows 11 Pro
       #4

    John, you aren't going to pay $900 for a Motherboard are you? Try this one Robot Check
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 2,380
    Windows 10
       #5

    essenbe said:
    John, you aren't going to pay $900 for a Motherboard are you? Try this one Robot Check
    Yes no need to pay that much for a Board look at the Tuf series and please please get a good water cooler Corsair isn't good enough

    3950x @4.325Ghz mem 3600 Fclk 1800mhz all core here is a picture
    still working on it

    New build in the making....-cool.png
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 5,818
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 21H2
       #6

    johngalt said:
    However, the time has come to finally upgrade. And it's gonna be a doozy.

    Without further ado, I present: The Beast (Mark A)

    My Screw You Intel Build - Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core, GeForce GTX 1050 2 GB SSC GAMING, Define 7 XL Dark ATX Full Tower - PCPartPicker
    My only suggestion (other than perhaps a more powerful GPU) is to make darn sure you review the motherboard you're getting to insure all 3 NVME drives are not only supported, but also understanding which SATA / PCIE ports may be lost.

    On my board cramming 3 NVME drives on it will cost me 2 SATA ports and a speed drop on my last PCIE slot (x4 to x2). As is, I've only got 2 NVMe drives installed, and 3 SATA drives installed.

    Good luck.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 5,818
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 21H2
       #7

    essenbe said:
    John, you aren't going to pay $900 for a Motherboard are you? Try this one Robot Check
    Being a Gigabyte fan I say look at this... GIGABYTE X570 AORUS XTREME. It's listed at $699, though currently put of stock. I have the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Xtreme (system one in system specs) and love it. Very well built.

    solarstarshines said:
    Yes no need to pay that much for a Board look at the Tuf series and please please get a good water cooler Corsair isn't good enough
    Looking at the board JLG is going after, I wouldn't go for the Tuf series. If sticking to Asus, I'd look at the higher tier of boards in their lineup.

    Also, regarding MSI, I'd seriously look at some reviews on their Godlike boards.

    My two cents.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 12,726
    Windows 11 Pro
       #8

    sygnus21 said:
    Being a Gigabyte fan I say look at this... GIGABYTE X570 AORUS XTREME. It's listed at $699, though currently put of stock. I have the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Xtreme (system one in system specs) and love it. Very well built.



    Looking at the board JLG is going after, I wouldn't go for the Tuf series. If sticking to Asus, I'd look at the higher tier of boards in their lineup.

    Also, regarding MSI, I'd seriously look at some reviews on their Godlike boards.

    My two cents.

      My Computer


  9. Posts : 2,380
    Windows 10
       #9

    essenbe said:
    Think what you guys want it's fine
    It's not like the Godlike will give anymore than i am getting with the Tuf but i see no point in spending that much to swap in a few years
    Again just my two cents
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 12,726
    Windows 11 Pro
       #10

    solarstarshines said:
    Think what you guys want it's fine
    It's not like the Godlike will give anymore than i am getting with the Tuf but i see no point in spending that much to swap in a few years
    Again just my two cents

    Tommy, it has nothing to do with what I want. It's what John wants. I'm not trying to tell someone what to buy. If I was, it wouldn't be that board, but we all have our preferences.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums