HHD to SSD Query

  1. RichardC's Avatar
    Posts : 268
    windows10 home v20H2 OS Build 19042.928
       #1

    HHD to SSD Query


    I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but here goes. I'm looking to change from hard disk drive to SSD. I have a Dell Inspiron One 2020. The hard drive is a Seagate: ST1000DM003-1CH162 ATA Device 1TB. I'm looking to keep the capacity the same. And i'm retired on a fixed income, so price will play a big part in my choice. Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA.
      My Computer

  2. sygnus21's Avatar
    Posts : 5,405
    Win 10 Pro (x64) 20H2 (19042.928)
       #2

    The first thing you need to do is determine is you CAN replace the drive and type of SSD replacement.
    The second thing you need to do is prepare to backup your data.

    With that are you asking us to look into these things for you?
      My Computers

  3. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 15,517
    Windows 10 Pro
       #3

    You're looking at about $110 for a 1 TB 2.5" SATA SSD and $10 for the 2.5" to 3.5" adapter rails (although you could just velcro or double side tape the SSD in place).. To clone the HDD to the SSD if you don't want to start over with a clean install of Windows on the SSD, that would be another $10 for the cable.

    This is just your standard basic SSD:
    SanDisk SSD PLUS 1TB Internal SSD
      My Computer

  4. Porthos's Avatar
    Posts : 881
    Win 10
       #4

    RichardC said:
    I'm looking to keep the capacity the same. And i'm retired on a fixed income, so price will play a big part in my choice. Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA.
    I have only a few clients that really needed a 1tb drive. 75 % only needed a 256 gig drive and the other 25% only needed a 512 gig drive.

    How long have you owned this computer and what is the current used space you have now?

    More info . Disassembling Dell Inspiron One 2020 Back Cover - iFixit Repair Guide
      My Computers

  5. sygnus21's Avatar
    Posts : 5,405
    Win 10 Pro (x64) 20H2 (19042.928)
       #5

    Porthos said:
    I have only a few clients that really needed a 1tb drive. 75 % only needed a 256 gig drive and the other 25% only needed a 512 gig drive.
    What's wrong with the OP wanting a 1TB drive????

    And (since we're offering opinions) a 256GB drive is awfully low for today's PC's. In fact given prices, I wouldn't recommend anything lower than 512.

    Going by your logic I shouldn't have a 1 or 2TB drive in my system - I've got two 2TB drives, one 1TB drive, and two 512GB NVME drives. All Samsung SSD drives.
      My Computers

  6. Porthos's Avatar
    Posts : 881
    Win 10
       #6

    sygnus21 said:
    What's wrong with the OP wanting a 1TB drive????

    And (since we're offering opinions) a 256GB drive is awfully low for today's PC's. In fact given prices, I wouldn't recommend anything lower than 512.

    Going by your logic I shouldn't have a 1 or 2TB drive in my system - I've got two 2TB drives, one 1TB drive, and two 512GB NVME drives. All Samsung SSD drives.
    The OP stated fixed income and cost issues.

    A good amount of my clients are in that situation. Not everyone can afford systems or even need systems like yours.

    Most of my clients have less than 80 gigs of total used space on their computers and have been using the same computers at that usage for 5-10 years. Why oversell a drive.
      My Computers

  7. sygnus21's Avatar
    Posts : 5,405
    Win 10 Pro (x64) 20H2 (19042.928)
       #7

    Porthos said:
    The OP stated fixed income and cost issues.
    The OP also said they were "looking to keep the capacity the same"

    And the OP is not one of your clients so you've no idea what their needs are. The fact that "you" don't feel people need larger drives does not make it fact. It makes it "your" opinion. However, not everyone wants a low storage drive.
      My Computers

  8. AddRAM's Avatar
    Posts : 3,855
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2
       #8

    Go with the best and order it right from Samsung.

    Get whatever size you want

    Samsung Solid State Drives - Memory Storage | Samsung US
      My Computers

  9. RichardC's Avatar
    Posts : 268
    windows10 home v20H2 OS Build 19042.928
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Thanks to everyone who responded. Your inputs are received and I'll look further into the suggestions stated. Thanks again.
      My Computer

  10. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 15,517
    Windows 10 Pro
       #10

    I have found Samsung and Sandisk to be the most reliable SSDs in my various computers.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:50.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums