4790k Workstation Problems...


  1. Posts : 136
    Windows 7 Pro x64
       #1

    4790k Workstation Problems...


    So the editing rig at the media studio where I work is having some problems keeping up with the loads we're throwing at it. Basically, when trying to run color-graded 4k footage at even half resolution in Premiere, it lags and the CPU temps spike to the low 80s (I tuned the CPU in AI Suite to not go higher than 83 C). Playing back a multi-cam sequence at even 1/4 res is out of the question right now. Without upgrading the motherboard and CPU to something like an X99-Deluxe and a 5960x (which we just don't have money for right now), I'm trying to find ways to squeeze as much performance out of his current system as possible so that it can handle these loads. I can't see any reason why his current setup, with a little extra cooling and tuning, shouldn't be able to handle what he's doing. With that in mind...

    CURRENT HARDWARE CONFIG:

    CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
    CPU Cooler: Stock
    Motherboard: Asus z97-PRO
    RAM: 32GB DDR3
    Graphics cards: EVGA GeForce GTX970 & PNY NVidia Quadro K2200
    Drives: 2TB 7200RPM, 4TB 7200RPM, 500GB 7200RPM, Crucial 500GB SSD
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4
    Fan layout: 2x 140mm front intake, 1x 140mm rear exhaust
    PSU: Corsair HX850


    I've convinced my boss to order a Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler, Arctic MX-4 thermal paste, and another 120mm fan to use as intake from the bottom of the case. The motherboard only has 2 CPU fan headers and 4 chassis fan headers. I'm not sure if we should also look at top exhaust fans (supports up to 2 140mm top fans).

    Here are my questions:

    1. Should I get a CPU fan splitter and add a third NF-A15 fan to the new heatsink so I can really up the clock speeds?
    2. Should I add top exhaust fans to the case?
    3. Basically, based on this picture, aside from what I've mentioned, is there anything obvious that it seems I should be doing? (Aside from putting the side panel back on, har har)...
    4. The CPU maxes to 4.32 GHz and 100% load when playing back the color-graded 4K footage in Premiere even at 1/2 resolution. Do we just need to look at saving for a CPU/Mobo upgrade?

    PS: I tried to correct the picture to bring out more detail. Forgive my horrendous lack of Photoshop skills; I'm the IT guy, not the creative guy.

    4790k Workstation Problems...-imag0123.jpg
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 605
    Windows 10
       #2

    I'm confused... So is this editing rig running Win 7 or Win 10? If it's running Win 10, you might try going back to older Win 8.1 graphic driver. I'd suggest uninstalling your current driver with DDU and reinstalling Win 8.1 driver 344.75 or 347.88. Also make sure your chipset driver is up to date and any other drivers that might have been updated for Win 10 from your motherboard manufacturer.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 40
    Windows 10, Mint 17.2
       #3

    I've got almost the same rig except I only have one GTX 970 and instead of the stock cooler I installed a Corsair H80 water cooler kit (about $80). It's all one piece, self contained, no maintenance. Easy install. Comes with two fans, use them both. CPU never gets much above 40c no matter how hard I push it.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 136
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Thread Starter
       #4

    fracking4oil said:
    I'm confused... So is this editing rig running Win 7 or Win 10? If it's running Win 10, you might try going back to older Win 8.1 graphic driver. I'd suggest uninstalling your current driver with DDU and reinstalling Win 8.1 driver 344.75 or 347.88. Also make sure your chipset driver is up to date and any other drivers that might have been updated for Win 10 from your motherboard manufacturer.
    Sorry, this is an 8.1 machine, so wrong site I suppose, but the gfx cards are tuned and drivers are working. Maybe we're just throwing too much at the CPU trying to multi cam 4k footage.

    rbmorse said:
    I've got almost the same rig except I only have one GTX 970 and instead of the stock cooler I installed a Corsair H80 water cooler kit (about $80). It's all one piece, self contained, no maintenance. Easy install. Comes with two fans, use them both. CPU never gets much above 40c no matter how hard I push it.
    I went with the d-15 because it generally performs better than most AIOs and I won't have to worry about leaks.
    Last edited by kbronski; 11 Aug 2015 at 12:52.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 136
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Thread Starter
       #5

    CPU cooler came in, and jeeze.. this thing is huge! Haha

      My Computer


  6. Posts : 235
    Win 10 Pro x64
       #6

    Yeah bet that was fun to get your hands around installing. Did you get your heat issue resolved?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 136
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Thread Starter
       #7

    rvcjew said:
    Yeah bet that was fun to get your hands around installing. Did you get your heat issue resolved?
    Never did answer this, but yes, it more than resolved the heat issue.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 235
    Win 10 Pro x64
       #8

    Good to hear.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums