Hardware Thread 2020  


  1. Posts : 2,068
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1281

    I so wish i could buy some new hardware. Waiting is always the worst.

    I have the case, power supply, cooler and mobo....but its probably going to be 3 months before I can find a cpu or gpu. Sucks.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 2,979
    Windows 11
       #1282

    pparks1 said:
    I so wish i could buy some new hardware. Waiting is always the worst.

    I have the case, power supply, cooler and mobo....but its probably going to be 3 months before I can find a cpu or gpu. Sucks.
    The situation with GPU stock is pretty sad. However with the Holiday season coming up Nvidia will be trying hard to make stock available. What CPU/s are you interested in?
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 2,068
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1283

    Kol12 said:
    The situation with GPU stock is pretty sad. However with the Holiday season coming up Nvidia will be trying hard to make stock available. What CPU/s are you interested in?
    Looking for the new Ryzen 9 5900x or the Ryzen 9 5950x. Whichever comes in stock first is the way I am going to decide which I buy.

    I'm leaning towards the 5900x....I like the price point better and it has enough cores to cover me and still be a huge upgrade.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 2,979
    Windows 11
       #1284

    pparks1 said:
    Looking for the new Ryzen 9 5900x or the Ryzen 9 5950x. Whichever comes in stock first is the way I am going to decide which I buy.

    I'm leaning towards the 5900x....I like the price point better and it has enough cores to cover me and still be a huge upgrade.
    Nothing wrong with going AMD right now, the 9 series is great. Assuming your a gamer Ryzen 9 favors 1080p gaming which appears to be your resolution. Even at 1440p the 5900X is right up there with the Intel 10900K or better. For multithreaded work Ryzen 9 looks very powerful.

    I don't know whether your a die hard Intel fan or not but it seems like your keen on Ryzen. If you are not familiar you'll need to be prepared to learn the ropes with Ryzen and that platform. I'm not sure how the 10900K and 5900X compare in price but performance between both is very close so both seem like suitable options depending on what you want to do most with the CPU...
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 19,499
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #1285

    If my pension gets fixed soon ( in arrears for 6 month) I think I'll swap my 3700x for 5800x, that's more power I'll ever need but nice to have. That's as far as I'm prepared to go for. At the beginning I wasn't considering it at all but now it looks soooooo tempting.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 423
    Win 11 pro
       #1286

    CountMike said:
    If my pension gets fixed soon ( in arrears for 6 month) I think I'll swap my 3700x for 5800x, that's more power I'll ever need but nice to have. That's as far as I'm prepared to go for. At the beginning I wasn't considering it at all but now it looks soooooo tempting.
    You would love it on your X470, that i can tell you ,from my experience so far, its beyond amazing
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 2,068
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1287

    Kol12 said:
    Nothing wrong with going AMD right now, the 9 series is great. Assuming your a gamer Ryzen 9 favors 1080p gaming which appears to be your resolution. Even at 1440p the 5900X is right up there with the Intel 10900K or better. For multithreaded work Ryzen 9 looks very powerful.
    I don't game much, due to a lack of time, but would build a machine that can game so if I can find some time, I have the option to game. More than anything, I'm a server engineer for a living and I like to run VM labs and learn new things. So, productivity usage is my primary area. Gaming for me would be most likely 1440p, as I currently have a 1440P Asus Pro Art display and plan to buy a 144/165hz 27" monitor that can also do 1440p.


    Kol12 said:
    I don't know whether your a die hard Intel fan or not but it seems like your keen on Ryzen. If you are not familiar you'll need to be prepared to learn the ropes with Ryzen and that platform. I'm not sure how the 10900K and 5900X compare in price but performance between both is very close so both seem like suitable options depending on what you want to do most with the CPU...
    I've used both AMD and Intel over the years. My 13 year old son currently have a Ryzen 3800X running on an X570 board. I am looking at AMD right now because I think price/performance is in it's favor, I favor multithreaded productivity work and I would like to utilize the PCIx Gen 4 M2 slots on the AMD Platform.

    I've also already purchased my Asus Rog Strix X570-E motherboard for my new build.....so I am now commited to AMD for this build. Since we already have a Ryzen 3000 series chip in the house (Ryzen 7 3800X), I'm particularly keen to get this new machine onto the Ryzen 5000 series platform.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 19,499
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #1288

    Bench Virgin said:
    You would love it on your X470, that i can tell you ,from my experience so far, its beyond amazing
    Yeah, I have seen your results, looking forward to it.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 1,469
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit 20H2 19042.844
       #1289

    I was surprized back in June 2020 that my local PC shop didn't offer an AMD Combo when they discovered my older Intel I7 7700 OEM Asus Motherboards input/output shield wasn't transferrable to new case back then, instead they offered an Intel I7 10700 and Gigabyte B460M motherboard option to go with the new case, and i was like yeah sure that will work fine lol.

    Maybe i should've mentioned what about an AMD Ryzen 7 combos lol, but too late now, so just will be happy with this gaming system
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 423
    Win 11 pro
       #1290

    CountMike said:
    Yeah, I have seen your results, looking forward to it.
    And THANK YOU for helping me, getting my system up and running !
    You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar .
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:28.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums