Intel to AMD change....advice

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #11

    i took the dram reading from cpu-z and doubled it , i should just not double it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    #12

    markfresh said: View Post
    i took the dram reading from cpu-z and doubled it , i should just not double it?
    Yes. double it from whatever CPU-Z tells you. 1666 is base memory but this is DDR (Double Data Rate) which effectively doubles data speed. When you have two of them, it runs in dual channel and that doubles data bandwidth.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    #13

    great.
    Just another question , i was reading/watching that the cooler on the 3600x (wraith spire) isnt that great and is quite noisy and not so good for OC.
    Would i be able to wriath max be worth spending $50 on ? AMD Wraith Max RGB CPU Cooler [199-999575] : PC Case Gear

    I could get the wraith prism but if i spent that much on a cooler id be better off getting the 3700x that comes with one i guess
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    #14

    markfresh said: View Post
    great.
    Just another question , i was reading/watching that the cooler on the 3600x (wraith spire) isnt that great and is quite noisy and not so good for OC.
    Would i be able to wriath max be worth spending $50 on ? AMD Wraith Max RGB CPU Cooler [199-999575] : PC Case Gear

    I could get the wraith prism but if i spent that much on a cooler id be better off getting the 3700x that comes with one i guess
    I don't know how good is cooler for 3600x but if you were to get another one might as well go for an aftermarket tower cooler, maybe even for less.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    #15

    Is PC Case Gear your only possible source?

    I'd at least investigate reviews of coolers in the same price range as the Wraith from BeQuiet, Cryorig, and Noctua.

    Regarding cooling: you have to come to a conclusion on what level (if any) of overclocking you have in mind and to what extent noise might be a factor. Fans running above 1000 rpm are likely to become quite audible.

    Here's one fan review site, I'm sure there are others:

    FrostyTech - Best Heat Sinks & PC Cooling Reviews
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    #16

    Hi , yes there are other sources here is australia, CPU Cooling (4) - MSY QLD Ipswich
    CPU Cooling - Umart.com.au etc
    The noctua ones look at bit more expensive than what i want to spend for just the fan at $80, is deepcool any good?
    DeepCool Gammaxx C40 Multi Socket CPU Cooler - Umart.com.au

    Also im still tossing up the idea of getting the 3700x as it is $140 more and has a better fan rather than get the 3600x and spend $50-100 on a seperate fan.
    im really not sure on fans and just run stock on my i7.

    - - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by markfresh; 1 Week Ago at 18:51.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7.    #17

    If you are not particularly concerned about the noise levels, I'd just get the fastest processor I could afford and worry about cooling, temps, and overclocking later.

    You can always upgrade the cooler at a later date and I'd assume the stock coolers are adequate for ordinary purposes without overclocking. Any significant overclock is likely to require better than a stock cooler, but you aren't there yet. Worry about it later.

    I know nothing about that Deepcool and couldn't quickly find a review.

    Refer to the Frostytech site I previously mentioned. Cryorig stuff is generally pretty good and not as costly as Noctua.

    Pay attention to the mounting systems as some will cause you to tear your hair out. Noctuas are superb in that respect.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    #18

    OK , i decided i would just spend the extra for the better processer ryzen 3700x , with the better fan , i have ordered that and a b450 msi board , and the store will install the cpu and flash the bios :)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Another question about ram , the other day on cpu-7 it read as 1666 , now without changing anything its 1333 im not sure why.
    Also as i want to keep my old intel pc for my mrs it will need ram , so if i put my current ram in that what would be equal to or better ram?
    my ram says its 16gb , but how do i tell mhz when buying? double what i have?
    for intance this DDR4-2400 16GB Dual Channel [Trident Z RGB] F4-2400C15D-16GTZR – Fantastic Hobbies
    looks like it is 16 gb 2400 mhz which would be worse then what i have?
    and what is beeter gb or mhz or both
    thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    #19

    markfresh said: View Post
    OK , i decided i would just spend the extra for the better processer ryzen 3700x , with the better fan , i have ordered that and a b450 msi board , and the store will install the cpu and flash the bios :)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Another question about ram , the other day on cpu-7 it read as 1666 , now without changing anything its 1333 im not sure why.
    Also as i want to keep my old intel pc for my mrs it will need ram , so if i put my current ram in that what would be equal to or better ram?
    my ram says its 16gb , but how do i tell mhz when buying? double what i have?
    for intance this DDR4-2400 16GB Dual Channel [Trident Z RGB] F4-2400C15D-16GTZR – Fantastic Hobbies
    looks like it is 16 gb 2400 mhz which would be worse then what i have?
    and what is beeter gb or mhz or both
    thanks
    It's DDR (Double Data Rate) so whatever programs like CPU-Z tell you multiply by two.
    What you have is therefore 3333MHz and 2400 is WORSE.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    #20

    Ok thanks just wanted to make sure i was working it out correctly when buying .
    Im still confused as when the other day i read it and post it at 1666 and now its showing only 1333.

    So if i got Corsair 16GB Kit (2x 8GB) DDR4-3200 UDIMM | CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
    which apparently is compatible with amd https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Catego...6GX4M2C3200C16

    if my dram is actually 1333mhz (2666) it would be a 534 mhz upgrade but if my dram is 1666(3332) it would be about the same , i might have to opt out of the rgb as its getting to expensive and go for a 4000mhz.
    But as i was saying i just want to use my current ram in my pc for my intel rig for the mrs , and get something the same or better for the amd rig.
    Then im thinking well if im going to spend money i might aswell upgrade as much as i can afford.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Related Threads
Hello everyone, I am facing a rather puzzling issue: 1. I clean installed Windows 10 (1703) on my HP ProDesk 400 G1 MT and Device Manager\System devices looked like this after a complete Windows Update: 156032 2. I downloaded from the...
Read more: Intel Unveils Full Intel Core-X-series Processor Family Specs; 14- to 18-Core Processors Available Starting in September
advice on browser change in Browsers and Email
I've been happily using Firefox for years, but it seems to be getting slower with each new version. My needs are simple. I just want a fast, uncomplicated browser and would appreciate a suggestion to use with Win 10. There are all kinds of...
Solved Advice on my virus prevention - what would you change? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Hello I have W10 home. For years I have run paid for AVG with backup from Malwarebytes Anti malware and Anti exploit. Recently I am noticing that AVG keep offering paid for additions where before I took them to be part of the virus package....
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55.
Find Us