Windows 10: Windows 10 forced upgrade wiping out my network adapter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    22 Nov 2017 #1

    Windows 10 forced upgrade wiping out my network adapter


    Does anyone have a solution that actually works to stop Microsoft from forcing the update to the latest version of windows ? (I have tried several things already)
    (and I can't use a metered connection as it has to be an Ethernet connection not wifi)


    The version of windows I have on that computer is an earlier version of the Windows 10 Home version and Microsoft insists on upgrading it to the latest version.


    The "windows update" keeps forcing the download and install of the latest version of windows, so far everything I tried to stop it doesn't seem to work, every time I use the "recovery" to go back to my previous version of windows within about a day it forces the update again, and again and again.

    I wouldn't mind the latest version except that it wipes out my network adapter and nothing I tried fixes it EXCEPT going back to the previous version of windows.


    Under "recovery" it even states if the latest version gives you problems go back to the previous version, so WHY does Microsoft even have the "recovery" option to go back to your previous version of windows if the latest version is causing problems, when it does NOT let you stay on the previous version but updates you to the latest version again within a day ?


    This is getting very frustrating, it seems every day I do a recovery to my previous version of windows and every day Microsoft forces the update to the latest version which wipes out my network adapter (both wireless and Ethernet) and hence my ability to connect to the internet until I do a recovery back to the previous version.


    Well, I just checked that computer and its in the process of updating to the latest version of windows AGAIN !!!!!


    I guess tomorrow I'll see if it wiped out my network adapter yet again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 4,451
    Mac OS Sierra
       22 Nov 2017 #2

    First off there is no forced upgrade, second off, just because your OS updated for current known security risks for Windows, it would have zero to do with your adapter. As they state in Texas. Small Problem, but long post that states zero about what kind of hardware and that you tried to download the driver for your motherboard or computer to see if you can get it working again.

    FCU depreciated a lot of old Windows stuff, along with it stripped out a lot of third party software, since Microsoft has become a lot more strict on what they are allowing on THEIR OS.

    Just to let you know. Every OS out there gets a normal security update cycle and software update cycle. Microsoft is just protecting their OS from malware and bad user habits, while at the same time they are protecting the computer that it is installed on, by making it a harder platform to hack.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    22 Nov 2017 #3

    Hi, it is possible to set an ethernet connection as metered
    Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10 Windows 10 Network Sharing Tutorials
    Allow Automatic Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10 Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

    However- I can't vouch for that personally, nor its effectiveness in necessarily blocking what MS considers necessary updates (note MS's caveat).

    I wouldn't mind the latest version except that it wipes out my network adapter and nothing I tried fixes it EXCEPT going back to the previous version of windows.
    As all the drivers are replaced when you upgrade, it's possible you need to use an older driver for your NIC.

    This has proved the case for a few people in certain cases.

    Blocking the upgrade (or any specific update).
    Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10 Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

    Please feel free to search the extensive tutorial section
    Windows 10 Tutorials

    Note that Win 10 Pro allows you to delay the delivery of upgrades for at least up to a year; both used to allow you to set updates to Notify only (and not in general download) but that seems not possible in Home now.

      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    22 Nov 2017 #4

    bro67 said: View Post
    First off there is no forced upgrade ...
    I wonder why everyone keep on using this awful words "forced upgrade"
    it's very clrear to see that a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down,
    the medicine go down, the medicine go down

    Mary Poppins - A Spoonful Of Sugar (from ) - YouTube
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    22 Nov 2017 #5

    bro67 said: View Post
    First off there is no forced upgrade, second off, just because your OS updated for current known security risks for Windows, it would have zero to do with your adapter. As they state in Texas. Small Problem, but long post that states zero about what kind of hardware and that you tried to download the driver for your motherboard or computer to see if you can get it working again.

    FCU depreciated a lot of old Windows stuff, along with it stripped out a lot of third party software, since Microsoft has become a lot more strict on what they are allowing on THEIR OS.

    Just to let you know. Every OS out there gets a normal security update cycle and software update cycle. Microsoft is just protecting their OS from malware and bad user habits, while at the same time they are protecting the computer that it is installed on, by making it a harder platform to hack.
    Thanks for your reply but what else would you call it when you use the recovery feature to restore your previous version of windows 10 and within a day Microsoft keeps automatically updating you to the latest version of windows ?

    Why have a recovery option if they won't let you stay on the recovered previous version ?

    All I know is on the earlier version of windows 10 my network adapters are there, when it updates to the latest version of windows the network adapters are gone and no internet connections are available.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    22 Nov 2017 #6

    dalchina said: View Post
    Hi, it is possible to set an ethernet connection as metered
    Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10 Windows 10 Network Sharing Tutorials
    Allow Automatic Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10 Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

    However- I can't vouch for that personally, nor its effectiveness in necessarily blocking what MS considers necessary updates (note MS's caveat).


    As all the drivers are replaced when you upgrade, it's possible you need to use an older driver for your NIC.

    This has proved the case for a few people in certain cases.

    Blocking the upgrade (or any specific update).
    Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10 Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

    Please feel free to search the extensive tutorial section
    Windows 10 Tutorials

    Note that Win 10 Pro allows you to delay the delivery of upgrades for at least up to a year; both used to allow you to set updates to Notify only (and not in general download) but that seems not possible in Home now.

    Thanks for your reply, I'll have to see if that metered Ethernet setup would prevent the updates that are wiping out my network adapter.

    I'd have to see if I could find that older driver online and see if that might work.

    I tried the "hide or show" and when I ran it it said it could not find anything to hide.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    22 Nov 2017 #7

    I tried the "hide or show" and when I ran it it said it could not find anything to hide.
    Unfortunate- another experienced contributor here said running that also checked for updates, so if the upgrade was found, it could be hidden. (Option 1, 9)

    I've not used this so can't comment from experience. It may be that you need to try running it a few times to find the upgrade offered.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    22 Nov 2017 #8

    roy111 said: View Post
    I wonder why everyone keep on using this awful words "forced upgrade"
    it's very clrear to see that a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down,
    the medicine go down, the medicine go down

    Mary Poppins - A Spoonful Of Sugar (from ) - YouTube
    Thanks for the humor, it is appreciated ........what would have made this a little less frustrating is if I could at least hold off the forced upgrade for even a week at a time so I would not have to do a recovery and restore to my earlier version every day, day after day after day.......
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    22 Nov 2017 #9

    dalchina said: View Post
    Unfortunate- another experienced contributor here said running that also checked for updates, so if the upgrade was found, it could be hidden. (Option 1, 9)

    I've not used this so can't comment from experience. It may be that you need to try running it a few times to find the upgrade offered.
    It is frustrating that Microsoft seems to deliberately making it difficult. I still don't understand why they even bother to have a recovery and restore option if they won't let you stay on the restored earlier version.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    22 Nov 2017 #10

    I guess it's called marketing - buy Pro and you have more control.

    Your other option is to disable Windows Update by other means:
    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials
    - you will need to look for the sections about Home- you don't have the group policy editor - which is in Pro. (Hint there are said to be ways to enable that in Home if you search- no guarantee on that).

    But there's a lot that's poorly conceived for Windows as a general consumer product, and that's evident in the way MS has changed its stance - very very slowly- on some things, and created so much adverse comment on others. An unfortunate consequence of a dominant market position I suppose.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Hi folk, I have download an iso-file of windows 10 enterprise and mount it on my running Win10 Ent. Release 1607 with full updates. Than I start setup and make a upgrade to Win10 Ent. Release 1703. No messages, no problems or bugs during this...
Hey, So after 2 failed attempts at installing Windows 10 on an Acer Aspire Z5801 PC, I finally managed to succeed. However, a new problem appeared after installation.. The Wireless network adapter went completely missing. Windows does not...
Read: Woman sues Microsoft for $10,000 over Windows 10 upgrade, wins
Can any one just solve my below problem. I am having trouble with my Windows 10 network adapter problem. It shows multiple adapter in network adapter settings. Please see below screen shot. and Sometimes it doesn't shows any adapter at all. and i...
28883 My pc wifi 2 adapter network no screnn :(
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08.
Find Us