Windows 10: How extend range of wi-fi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 1
    Windows 7 Ultimate
       20 Nov 2017 #11

    How does <$10 sound for not a lot of money? coaxifi.com has a number of WiFi over coax kits that would let you detach an antenna from one of your spare routers and send a WiFi signal directly to whichever room(s) need it, via the cable outlets. I read about it on Review: Coaxifi WiFi over coax for better coverage: 5/5 stars and it works well with my TP-Link C2600. Actually, in terms of Mbps and signal strength (RSSI), it outperforms the router (over the air) at any distance 23/25 feet or more from the router. (I returned an eero mesh system after setting up Coaxifi because my house already has enough paperweights...)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    20 Nov 2017 #12

    Thank you all for the advice. I like the idea of the mesh - seems to be simpler (although I do have an extra router). Are these what are called repeaters? @cereberus: What are home plugs? You also said performance drops rapidly with distance. Which distance are you referring to? From the primary router, the secondary router - or the CAT in between the two routers? Also @bro67, what is AIO? Thank you!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    20 Nov 2017 #13

    Thank you - I'll look into this!!!!!!!!!!

    antmazz said: View Post
    How does <$10 sound for not a lot of money? coaxifi.com has a number of WiFi over coax kits that would let you detach an antenna from one of your spare routers and send a WiFi signal directly to whichever room(s) need it, via the cable outlets. I read about it on Review: Coaxifi WiFi over coax for better coverage: 5/5 stars and it works well with my TP-Link C2600. Actually, in terms of Mbps and signal strength (RSSI), it outperforms the router (over the air) at any distance 23/25 feet or more from the router. (I returned an eero mesh system after setting up Coaxifi because my house already has enough paperweights...)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    20 Nov 2017 #14

    If you use ethernet distance does not matter unless a huge distance.

    If using a wif extender, it is like any device, further apart, weaker the signal.

    Home plugs connect via normal plug sockets and info is transmitted via you home's electrical wiring to a receiver.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    20 Nov 2017 #15

    Where do I get the necessary equipment to set up wall plugs and how efficient are they
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    20 Nov 2017 #16

    Nisko said: View Post
    Where do I get the necessary equipment to set up wall plugs and how efficient are they
    Very efficient.

    Setup

    router - ethernet cable - plug 1 (plug 1 plugged into power socket)

    Plug 2 is plugged in elsewhere in house and provides wifi signal (cheapest may only have ethernet socket).

    Here is typical solution in UK from a high street retailer

    http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5585575?storeID=541&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|cid:598893978|agid:24310582250|tidla-215576369810|crid:86867309210|nw:g|rnd:1774686214616800821|dvc:m|adp:1o1|mt:|loc:9046837&gclid=EAIaI QobChMIm-bajODN1wIVpbDtCh2HPAjLEAQYASABEgJtGPD_BwE
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 4,497
    Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.5
       20 Nov 2017 #17

    Nisko said: View Post
    Where do I get the necessary equipment to set up wall plugs and how efficient are they
    Newegg, Amazon, Google Shop on the Search engine page. Google has their units in Google Play. Amazon has quite a bit out there. I would check Smallnetbuilder for their test on the equipment. If not in Smallnetbuilder, you can also check Amazon. Understand that consumer reviews are not always the best online.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    21 Nov 2017 #18

    Thanks, bro!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    21 Nov 2017 #19

    Nisko said: View Post
    Thanks, bro!
    I recommend Ubiquiti products. I have one in my home, and I have setup several at businesses. They work great.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    21 Nov 2017 #20

    Sometimes a video is worth a thousand words. If you do a YouTube search there are a ton of them.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n3plXzZ1Ckc
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

    Related Threads
    I have a ASRock B250M Pro4 motherboard with a 7 gen processor. I am using the integrated graphics and updated drives with with a no name monitor that keeps giving out of range but its not. I am using low resolution 1024x768 or even 800x600 and tried...
    Top of the range computer with my SDD! in PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
    Could I in theory have a computer built for me with top specifications, but I install my own 500gig Samsung SDD with all my Windows 10 64bit with all updates (taken from this old computer) Your thoughts as always most appreciated.
    I am using HP Desktop Workstation with Windows 10 installed and 64-bit version. Today while i was running the PC, it suddenly restarted for automatic installation of updates. And then, a black screen was displayed with windows 10 logo and few...
    no internet via wifi range extender in Network and Sharing
    windows 10 installed major updates this morning now I cannot get onto the internet via my range extender this has always been intermittent in the past but could get it to work eventually I have run the connection diagnostics and its telling me there...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:45.
    Find Us