1.    1 Week Ago #1
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 229
    Windows 10 x64 v1703

    How to mount cloud storage as drive letters / mapped network drives


    I'd like to mount Google Drive as a mapped network drive. (Then use the drive letter for programs so I can get the size of files/folders in my cloud storage, search for specific file/folders as well as able to search for file dups).

    I've searched online and found a handful of products offerings including
    • NetDrive
    • TNT Drive
    • Cloudberry Drive
    • ExpanDrive
    • CloudMounter
    • SME


    Does anyone have some real-life, hands-on experience with any of these (or other products) they might recommend? Of course, something free would be ideal but I don't mind paying something (reasonable) for s/w that meets my needs
    I'll also be adding OneDrive down the road so would like support for that as well

    Thanks for any feedack/information!!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    1 Week Ago #2
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 25,251
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17040

    Hey mate,

    If you haven't already, you might see if this below may meet your needs any.

    Add or Remove Google Drive from Navigation Pane in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    1 Week Ago #3
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 229
    Windows 10 x64 v1703
    Thread Starter

    Hi Brink

    Thanks for the very quick response! I only skimmed the article you mentioned but don't think it meets my need. I can easily access / search the Google Drive folder on my PC. BUT my issue is that I store many GB's of data in the cloud ONLY (nowhere on my PC). So it's not in myGoogle drive folder or elsewhere on my PC).

    So I'd really like to be able to map a drive letter to the Googe Drive cloud storage (not the Google Drive folder) so i can search files on stored in the cloud.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    1 Week Ago #4
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,949
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGeek View Post
    Hi Brink

    Thanks for the very quick response! I only skimmed the article you mentioned but don't think it meets my need. I can easily access / search the Google Drive folder on my PC. BUT my issue is that I store many GB's of data in the cloud ONLY (nowhere on my PC). So it's not in myGoogle drive folder or elsewhere on my PC).

    So I'd really like to be able to map a drive letter to the Googe Drive cloud storage (not the Google Drive folder) so i can search files on stored in the cloud.
    Onedrive has exactly that feature now with Files On Demand. I am not aware of anyway of doing it with any other Cloud service.

    For only 6 a month, you can get 1TB of Onedrive space, and as a bonus, you get the full MS Office chucked in free (actually it is other way round - you lease MS Office and get 1TB free).

    Nothing else comes close to it in terms of value, and you get Files on Demand.

    No contest really.

    You get 5GB free anyway. Suggest you play with that and then decide if you want to go for MS Office deal.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    1 Week Ago #5
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Crewe Cheshire
    Posts : 1,456
    windows 10

    Google drive app for pc is ending in December so you will need the new apps Google Is Replacing the Desktop Google Drive App With Two New Apps - ExtremeTech
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    1 Week Ago #6
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,949
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by cereberus View Post
    Onedrive has exactly that feature now with Files On Demand. I am not aware of anyway of doing it with any other Cloud service.

    For only 6 a month, you can get 1TB of Onedrive space, and as a bonus, you get the full MS Office chucked in free (actually it is other way round - you lease MS Office and get 1TB free).

    Nothing else comes close to it in terms of value, and you get Files on Demand.

    No contest really.

    You get 5GB free anyway. Suggest you play with that and then decide if you want to go for MS Office deal.
    Interesting - this sounds like Google's version of Files On Demand. I wonder if it will have an android version?

    Edit: the more basic app is not like files on demand. You need a G suite account for the FOD equivalent. Not impressed!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    1 Week Ago #7
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 229
    Windows 10 x64 v1703
    Thread Starter

    @cereberus and @Samuria
    Thanks for the info! I had been looking at products like NetDrive and ExpanDrive that (fyi) allow you to selectively mount any or all your cloud services (Amazon, Google, Dropbox, OneDrive, SFTP and more) so each gets a drive letter and each looks to Windows like a network mapped drive. That would then allow a plethora of standard file/folder tools to access cloud storage which otherwise couldn't.

    However, as I'm only concerned with Google Drive and OneDrive, I'll take a closer look at what you mention to see if it's sufficient for my needs. It will certainly be free! Thanks!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    1 Week Ago #8
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,949
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGeek View Post
    @cereberus and @Samuria
    Thanks for the info! I had been looking at products like NetDrive and ExpanDrive that (fyi) allow you to selectively mount any or all your cloud services (Amazon, Google, Dropbox, OneDrive, SFTP and more) so each gets a drive letter and each looks to Windows like a network mapped drive. That would then allow a plethora of standard file/folder tools to access cloud storage which otherwise couldn't.

    However, as I'm only concerned with Google Drive and OneDrive, I'll take a closer look at what you mention to see if it's sufficient for my needs. It will certainly be free! Thanks!
    In the end, free usage is fairly limited in capacity and really only suitable for critical data eg photos, word docs.

    For big stuff eg videos, images you will need to lease capacity. Then onedrive comes into its own with MS Office lease.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Drive letters change when multiple drives plugged in.
My main external backup drive was assigned to drive letter G:. Upon plugging two usb drives in today that drive's letter got changed from G: to H: Why does that happen? Because that drive is used for Macrium daily backups assigned as G: in the...
Drivers and Hardware
Win 10 mixes up hard drives and reassigns drive letters
Got a problem using shared data disks with windows 10. Win10 insists on reassigning drive letters for my hard drives, I started off with : a 1 Tb drive as C: a 2Tb drive split into 2 volumes drives D: and E:, a further 1Tb drive as drive F:, ...
Drivers and Hardware
Mapped Drives on Windows 10 Pro x64
Good day! OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 under domain Ms Server 2016 i just want to ask a small favor if anyone can help me. we are using domain in out network and we have all security and policy. when the user login to his laptop all has been set...
Network and Sharing
Permanently assign drive letters for USB drives
Hi, I run a backup script to different USB drives at different times. The backup script always needs to see the same drive letter for the USB drive (whichever USB drive is being used). I know you can run compmgmt.msc, select Disk...
Drivers and Hardware
Cannot mount network drives - drive letters not available
Hi I have a strange problem. I have some harddrives on a "server" computer in my homenetwork running win 7. From my "client" running windows 10 I am mounting these drives using psexec \\server -u username -p password -d net share F=F:\...
Network and Sharing
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums