Windows 10: Odd internet behavior Solved

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 335
    Windows 10 64-bit Home v1709 (OS Build 16299.192)
    Thread Starter
       12 Nov 2017 #21

    essenbe said: View Post
    Hirens should get PUP hits because of the nature of some of the Apps it has in it. I haven't used it in years, but I used to ignore the hits it gets.
    Thanks! See attached. Maybe I need to check all of these for results but I tried the two in the attached. Those two did not correct the issue.

    Should all be checked?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.JPG  
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 10,987
    Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Pro Insider
       12 Nov 2017 #22

    I'm not familiar with that program. Bro67 will need to help you with that.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 335
    Windows 10 64-bit Home v1709 (OS Build 16299.192)
    Thread Starter
       12 Nov 2017 #23

    Caledon Ken said: View Post
    If you want to flush dns, open command prompt (admin) and type
    ipconfig /flushdns
    Thanks Caledon Ken. I tied this & it didn't fix the issue.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 4,782
    Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.5
       13 Nov 2017 #24

    essenbe said: View Post
    I'm not familiar with that program. Bro67 will need to help you with that.
    DNS, Winsock need to be checked and see if that fixes. Would be the same if they uninstall device and driver.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 4,782
    Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.5
       13 Nov 2017 #25

    GARoss said: View Post
    bro67, I generally scan all downloads before install, especially open source software, to protect my PC. The Hiren download had no hits with MS Defender but had 2 with Malwarebytes; both were PUP.Optional.Vosteran.
    I believe they are a type of adware. Not really harmful but annoying. Am I correct or should I be concerned about installing Hiren?
    There is no adware that you are being told to go get. The tools are out there on Majorgeeks.com and others that deal with large groups for different types of issues. You are going to get a False Positive on some of the tools, especially if they are going in to fix problems. That is why you need to disable any security software before using the tools.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 335
    Windows 10 64-bit Home v1709 (OS Build 16299.192)
    Thread Starter
       13 Nov 2017 #26

    bro67 said: View Post
    There is no adware that you are being told to go get. The tools are out there on Majorgeeks.com and others that deal with large groups for different types of issues. You are going to get a False Positive on some of the tools, especially if they are going in to fix problems. That is why you need to disable any security software before using the tools.
    It does seem like Malwarebytes gets positive hits on a lot of these types. I tried a free font download & Malwarebytes flagged every site I tried with that same PUP.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 335
    Windows 10 64-bit Home v1709 (OS Build 16299.192)
    Thread Starter
       13 Nov 2017 #27

    bro67 said: View Post
    DNS, Winsock need to be checked and see if that fixes. Would be the same if they uninstall device and driver.
    I turned everything off as suggested, then ran the program without resolving the issue. I even called Arris Support & the tech would not commit, only telling me to contact my internet provider (Frontier Communications) who I had called before making the post & they haven't a clue.

    I'm beginning to think there isn't a solution. It's a minor inconvenience at best. A glitch.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 4,782
    Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.5
       14 Nov 2017 #28

    I gave you the solution and yes Arris will not talk to consumers about equipment that a provider issues. Frontier is not going to do anything, other than charge you to do the same thing that I had mentioned. Changing the Gateway should not cause issues, but if you had just upgraded the OS from say Windows 7 or 8 to 10, you are going to run into issues when changing out Gateways. Whether you manually flush the Winsock and reset DNS to clear out the IPTables on your computer, force the Gateway to also flush and reset all MAC's to get new IP's, there is not much else that we can do about Windows having to wait for a Heartbeep return from the Gateway that tells the computer that it now has a connection.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 335
    Windows 10 64-bit Home v1709 (OS Build 16299.192)
    Thread Starter
       14 Nov 2017 #29

    bro67 said: View Post
    I gave you the solution and yes Arris will not talk to consumers about equipment that a provider issues. Frontier is not going to do anything, other than charge you to do the same thing that I had mentioned. Changing the Gateway should not cause issues, but if you had just upgraded the OS from say Windows 7 or 8 to 10, you are going to run into issues when changing out Gateways. Whether you manually flush the Winsock and reset DNS to clear out the IPTables on your computer, force the Gateway to also flush and reset all MAC's to get new IP's, there is not much else that we can do about Windows having to wait for a Heartbeep return from the Gateway that tells the computer that it now has a connection.
    I do appreciate your suggestions. I thought I followed your suggestions to the letter. Perhaps not (?).

    Long before I had this issue I did an upgrade build PC. My old hardware was an Intel i5 64 bit Windows 10. Now it's an AMD Rysen 1700 64 bit Windows 10 + whatever upgrades / updates Windows has offered in the last couple of months. After the build I had no problems connecting to internet as I do now. The only change is the modem & an upgrade to much faster internet. Now there is. Yesterday I installed the Intel LAN driver downloaded from Asus' website. It made no difference.

    Would info from Frontier's 192.168.254.254 home page help? I don't know if anything other than the WiFi's password being reset has changed in any way.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 4,782
    Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.5
       14 Nov 2017 #30

    It would probably not, since this is a computer OS issue, not a Gateway I hope. If you have your computer shut down, the LAN connection lights for the port on the back do stay lit up on some computers, even if you have Wake On LAN disabled in the bios.

    If you have a spare drive, you could try a clean install on it with just Windows and see if it connects to the Gateway after doing its initial housekeeping. If the connection at this time keeps getting longer and no other devices on the network is having issues, I would go with a Clean install of Windows 10 and go for that route. That is just me, since at times I am brutal at not letting the machine get one over me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Related Threads
Program's Behavior in Software and Apps
Hello, Have two questions: 1. Downloaded some small video editing program, named "Smart Cutter", downloaded the portable version, unzipped it into a folder, sent a shortcut to the desktop. It works nice (when it does not crash), but every time I...
Ever since I did a fresh install of the Anniversary Update (after WU's attempt to install it ended fantastically awfulbad), I've had issues with keeping accounts logged in, in both browsers and in apps. With Chrome, I am finding that I am constantly...
strange behavior ..... in General Support
good morning I spent the weekend upgrading my PC's from win 7 to win 10. the 1st one had some issues after the upgrade, but most have been solved. 2 of the other 3 went fine and all seem to be working as expected. the last one, and the most...
AutoHotKey behavior in 10 in Software and Apps
Hello, i use this app to remap keyboard keys/shortcuts, it seems it works in explorer only, in browsers (for example) it doesn't.. Strange, how to fix that?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25.
Find Us