Windows 10: Can't get Gigabit speed on my Win 10 PC's.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 4,451
    Mac OS Sierra
       16 Oct 2017 #11

    This problem has zero to do with cables or speed tests. What your set speed by AT&T in http://192.168..254/cgi-bin/broadbandstatistics.ha for Downstream and Upstream are what you are getting from AT&T. Every machine is going to be different if something is happening on the network at the same time and on those computers. You can get 1000mbps in the network adapter settings and your set speed by AT&T are correct. That has zero to do with the fact that speed test websites are not meant to know what your ISP allows you to have. It is what you are getting between your computer and the speed test website, which operates like our Interstates and highways. Speeds will vary.

    Make sure that you are using the AT&T servers if you test from speedtest .com. Always use closes server. Your speeds will vary. Every OS is going to show different speeds, especially computers with onboard network adapters.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 4,451
    Mac OS Sierra
       16 Oct 2017 #12

    mantorras77 said: View Post
    hmm weird I don't have 1000 as an option. Only 10 and 100. Cat 6 cables.
    If you only see 10/100 for that network adapter. That means that is all that you are going to get for half-duplex and full-duplex.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    16 Oct 2017 #13

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    The tests you are running are not telling you what speed your NICs are connecting to the router at. Your tests are telling you what your internet speed connection is to internet servers outside your house. To see what speed your NICs are connecting at you need to look at your network properties:

    Attachment 158435
    bro67 said: View Post
    If you only see 10/100 for that network adapter. That means that is all that you are going to get for half-duplex and full-duplex.
    All my pc's are connected at 1.0 Gbps on my network.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    17 Oct 2017 #14

    mantorras77 said: View Post
    All my pc's are connected at 1.0 Gbps on my network.
    Then your problem is on the WAN side of the modem and you need to talk to your ISP about it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 4,451
    Mac OS Sierra
       17 Oct 2017 #15

    Get out of the Settings screen and go to Command Window and enter net show interfaces on all computers. I do believe that you are getting your machines mixed up when you reply. Only concentrate on the one you have a question about, regardless of what you are trying to do. The only question you have is with one machine if that one is what you think is getting a slower speed. I would suggest getting a RJ-45 Loopback tester to check all pairs to see if you have a bad patch cable or bad run if you are connecting at a far distance from the gateway.
    Last edited by bro67; 17 Oct 2017 at 15:06.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    17 Oct 2017 #16

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Then your problem is on the WAN side of the modem and you need to talk to your ISP about it.
    But it's not as my router tests at near gig speed and also my Windows 7 HP 6300 as well. Just my two Windows 10 pc's aren't.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    17 Oct 2017 #17

    bro67 said: View Post
    Get out of the Settings screen and go to Command Window and enter net show interfaces on all computers. I do believe that you are getting your machines mixed up when you reply. Only concentrate on the one you have a question about, regardless of what you are trying to do. The only question you have is with one machine if that one is what you think is getting a slower speed. I would suggest getting a RJ-45 Loopback tester to check all pairs to see if you have a bad patch cable or bad run if you are connecting at a far distance from the gateway. The other is make sure that in http://192.168.1.254/cgi-bin/etherlan.ha is set for both to be auto for all ports.
    I'm not getting anything confuse so not sure what you mean there. I've eliminated the cabling from the equation as I used the same cable/and port on router to test all 3 pc's.

    I recently ordered a Windows 10 supported NIC Card so I can test in both my Windows 10 pc's.

    The only thing I can come up with is all 3 of my HP pc's aren't officially "Windows 10 Supported" by HP so the drivers probably aren't optimized which could also explain why my Windows 7 pc is the only one that gets near Gigabit internet speeds. So I guess i'm just looking for confirmation on whether or not that theory is true.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 585
    Windows 10
       17 Oct 2017 #18

    Your variations are perfectly normal, I don't see any problem.
    Server capacity, ISP capacity, traffic management, time of day usage variation, different routes and so on will cause variations in download speeds.
    Quite likely that servers will limit you as you have potentially a very high download speed from your ISP.

    Be happy, most of us here get speeds like mine 7.5 Mbs.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    17 Oct 2017 #19

    Helmut said: View Post
    Your variations are perfectly normal, I don't see any problem.
    Server capacity, ISP capacity, traffic management, time of day usage variation, different routes and so on will cause variations in download speeds.
    Quite likely that servers will limit you as you have potentially a very high download speed from your ISP.

    Be happy, most of us here get speeds like mine 7.5 Mbs.
    I hear ya Helmut. It's the whole if I'm paying for something I would like to get it scenario but I understand what you're saying.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 4,451
    Mac OS Sierra
       17 Oct 2017 #20

    It is not about what you are paying for. You voiced a concern and I gave you the information how to check the ports on the U-Verse gateway, how to check from the Command line.

    Again, only concentrate on the one machine that you are claiming has a issue. Check your bios and make sure in properties in Device Manager for that Ethernet adapter that it is set for automatic. Get yourself a RJ-45 loopback tester to check for bad runs or bad patch cables, regardless of Category. It only takes one bad punchdown, bad run or bad patch cable to drop your speed.

    A lot of us have been doing this stuff since before the Internet became a household name. Even with the fact that you could use a Linux Live DVD and see higher test speeds, still does not rule out something else is going on between your one computer and the Gateway.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
insignia gigabit adapter read below in Network and Sharing
my usb 3.0 gigabit adapter insignia from best buy is getting warm or hot is that normal guys
Three weeks ago, I had Gigabit FIOS installed, but I have never been able to get gigabit speeds going both ways. I always get 900+ Mbps UPLOAD but never more than 300 Mbps DOWNLOAD. But, I get 900/900+ Mbps between the Router and the Server...
Solved Gigabit LAN to USB adapter in Network and Sharing
Hi, I am looking to buy a Gigabit LAN to USB adapter and I have seen that all of them are USB3.0, but my PC has only USB 2.0. The question is, due the USB 2.0 limitation, the adapter will work only as 10/100Mbps LAN, 1GBps is not possible on USB...
Hi I have this nasty issue and would like a solution or suggestions 1 desktop 3 laptops on the same network. Network speed download 6Mb (not much but stable :-)) desktop and 2 laptops on windows 10. 1 Laptop on windows 7. All pcs are fully updated...
I was told by somebody here with VIP badges that I should not post here how to make Firefox run more smoothly in a Virtual Machine in Linux. It should be in a Linux forum. So I moved it there.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:12.
Find Us