Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    15 Oct 2017 #1
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 10
    Windows 10

    Password Elimination


    Operating a wired Ethernet LAN that connects this Windows-10 computer with other Windows-8.1, Windows-7 and Linux computers, I am constantly frustrated by demands for user IDs and passwords when attempting to access one machine from another. Such security on a local wired network is absolutely unnecessary and very exasperating.

    I'm reduced to transferring files via flash drives. I'd like to obtain file system display and file transfer among these computers totally without reference to passwords. Is it possible to do this? Can someone recommend documentation? Is there an app available that uses the TCP/IP system software independent of Microsoft's security concerns?

    Thank you for your attention.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    15 Oct 2017 #2
    Join Date : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 4,254
    Mac OS Sierra

    Just set them as credentials. You are always going to be asked for passwords, if you have a properly secured LAN.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    15 Oct 2017 #3
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 10
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    bro67 writes,
    "You are always going to be asked for passwords, if you have a properly secured LAN."

    I don't want a secured LAN, properly or otherwise. I want a LAN (note hardwired and very local) whose machines can exchange files without ever knowing a password. Do you declare it impossible?

    Obviously passwordless code can transfer files using the TCP/IP calls; the hard part is displaying the machines' file structures to permit transfer selection. Does no app exist for this independent of the OS?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    15 Oct 2017 #4
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,994
    Windows10

    You have not setup your network shares properly. I have my pc setup so it is a private not public network (it is illogical but a private network is more public than a public network - yet public network means it it is a network where the public can access it so is more locked down by default).

    In network sharing centre, you set share permissions to everyone, and turn off need for paswords.

    My main rig is setup like that, and I can access it without passwords even from my android devices.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    16 Oct 2017 #5
    Join Date : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 4,254
    Mac OS Sierra

    Quote Originally Posted by rLsj View Post
    bro67 writes,
    "You are always going to be asked for passwords, if you have a properly secured LAN."
    I don't want a secured LAN, properly or otherwise. I want a LAN (note hardwired and very local) whose machines can exchange files without ever knowing a password. Do you declare it impossible?
    Obviously passwordless code can transfer files using the TCP/IP calls; the hard part is displaying the machines' file structures to permit transfer selection. Does no app exist for this independent of the OS?
    If you do not want to secure it, then go into advanced sharing and disable password protection. Not much else to say than you open yourself up to huge security issues if malware takes over and gets the full run of your system.

    Also passwords have zero to do with whatever you came up with about thinking that they can just go out and unlock any file or folder without you doing anything. The reason we password protect systems is not to keep the dishonest people out. It is to secure our life, just like you place locks on doors and windows to protect your family, not to protect the bad guys. I just put out a warning that you are going to open yourself up to risks if you keep any banking or financial information, along with other items that you do not want people to access, but allow them full access to.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    16 Oct 2017 #6
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 764
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by cereberus View Post
    You have not setup your network shares properly. I have my pc setup so it is a private not public network (it is illogical but a private network is more public than a public network - yet public network means it it is a network where the public can access it so is more locked down by default).

    In network sharing centre, you set share permissions to everyone, and turn off need for paswords.

    My main rig is setup like that, and I can access it without passwords even from my android devices.
    WOW! I had no idea. Kind of backwards logic from a OS/Network standpoint. So for the everyday user, this poses some serious concerns. Mine is set to private as well.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    16 Oct 2017 #7
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 10
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    To bro67:
    Life is a tradeoff of protection vs. convenience. I choose convenience. The sensitive data on my network have other protections.

    To cereberus:
    I have tried all that network sharing and property dialogs offer in vain. I think the current debacle occurred when I assigned a password to the hub machine in order temporarily to connect another Windows-10 computer that absolutely would not participate without passwords. Now I have removed the password and rechecked the profusion of permission declarations, but all the other machines insist on knowing the now nonexistent password.

    I'm tired of struggling with Microsoft security presumptions. It appears that the only reliable solution is to find an independent file transfer method. Can you recommend one?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    16 Oct 2017 #8
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,994
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by rLsj View Post
    To bro67:
    Life is a tradeoff of protection vs. convenience. I choose convenience. The sensitive data on my network have other protections.

    To cereberus:
    I have tried all that network sharing and property dialogs offer in vain. I think the current debacle occurred when I assigned a password to the hub machine in order temporarily to connect another Windows-10 computer that absolutely would not participate without passwords. Now I have removed the password and rechecked the profusion of permission declarations, but all the other machines insist on knowing the now nonexistent password.

    I'm tired of struggling with Microsoft security presumptions. It appears that the only reliable solution is to find an independent file transfer method. Can you recommend one?
    If all you want to do is transfer files, Teamviewer is probably easiest solution.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    16 Oct 2017 #9
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 764
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by cereberus View Post
    If all you want to do is transfer files, Teamviewer is probably easiest solution.
    Or, and this may be the easiest way.....just get a NAS and send/save/store everything there and everyone can access to it. Heck, it doesn't have to be a NAS just an external HDD with a wired/wireless access. With the NAS, it comes with it's own software to give permissions and usually very user friendly.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    16 Oct 2017 #10
    Join Date : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 4,254
    Mac OS Sierra

    Plankton I do love those who share Social Media Accounts and emails. Nothing is sacred if you wish to keep certain items secret. Even just going with a Cloud account helps when storing items there, since it leaves a mirrored copy if you wish on your hard drive. Storage is pretty cheap these days, especially $2.99 for 200gb for iCloud.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
2007 Outlook prompts for password after yahoo change password
Hello, I just changed my Yahoo email password, and signed in via IE and works fine. Then I went into my Outlook 2007 Yahoo email account and changed the password. However when I try to send/receive email from outlook on the Yahoo account it pops...
Browsers and Email
Network share requesting password, but password protection turned off!
Hi Guys, This is a curious one. I have three PCs (two desktop and one laptop) all running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1607). Each system has a shared partition, set up exactly the same, which has sharing set for 'everyone', with 'full control'....
Network and Sharing
TPM setup; no way to enter|save|view TPM Password w/o prior password
Hi, Just converted from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro yesterday, and afterwards installed a TPM chip. The chip is recognized by TPM Management. I haven't turned on Bitlocker yet. The only way I can see to change the Owner Password first requires...
General Support
Password Auto Complete Forgot Password
Does anyone know how to retrieve a password from autocomplete. I am being asked to change a password but I have to put the old password in first and I don't know what it is. It is in auto complete but I don't know how to get the actual password...
Browsers and Email
Solved Changed Microsoft Account Password Does not Change PC Login Password
I have three Win 10 PC's (desktop, laptop, Surface) that all have the admin login account set up through a common Microsoft Hotmail account. I changed to a new password on my Hotmail account, but the old Hotmail password is still used for logins to...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:52.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums