Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    07 Sep 2017 #1
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 17
    Windows 10 home 64bit

    New ISP, sudden slow speeds only over the homeplugs


    Hey everyone,

    So I'm having a bit of an issue that for the life of me I can't figure out.

    We moved to a new Internet service provider yesterday. I've always ran my desktop over homeplugs in the next room and never had an issue matching or beating the wi fi speed.



    The new ISP we are with is offering the same speed and uses the same line etc. my Wi-Fi speed is exactly the same as it was with the old ISP (around 18.9Mbps Upload and 6Mbps Upload).

    However on my desktop via the homeplugs I am now seeing speed test result of less than a quarter of my wi-fi speed download but similar upload (around 3Mbps Download but maintaining around 6Mbps Upload).

    Homeplugs are the same, cables the same. Only changes are the ISP and the router as I'm now using the new ISP one and was using the old ISP one previously.

    Can anyone help me?

    I have no idea what's going on :'(
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    07 Sep 2017 #2

    By homeplugs, I take it to mean powerline adapters. Remember which powerline adapters, they prefer to be directly plugged into the wall socket and not a surge protected extension. What speed are your adapters rated for? Which cat version cables are you using?

    When you move ISPs, it can take several days for the speed to equalise.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    07 Sep 2017 #3
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 17
    Windows 10 home 64bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by swarfega View Post
    By homeplugs, I take it to mean powerline adapters. Remember which powerline adapters, they prefer to be directly plugged into the wall socket and not a surge protected extension. What speed are your adapters rated for? Which cat version cables are you using?
    When you move ISPs, it can take several days for the speed to equalise.
    Hi Swrfega, thanks for your reply

    Yup I do mean the powerline adaptors

    They are plugged into the wall in the same place they were as with my previous ISP.

    I know that as you say the speeds can take time to equalise. However my WiFi speed is already in line with what it has always been. My upload speed over the powerline is also the same. It is only the download speed over the powerline that is seeing such a crazy drop in speed compared to everything else.

    With regard to the exact details of what you are saying I will have to check this when I'm home but i'll let you know

    These are the poweline adaptors I have

    Aztech HomePlug AV2 1200Mbps Smartlink Adapter with Mains Pass-through - PL-HL129EP
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    07 Sep 2017 #4
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 2,457
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview

    Try the following...
    Right click on Winkey (bottom left)....click on Windows Powershell (Admin) and copy paste the following, then press enter.

    netsh winsock reset

    Restart computer for it to take effect.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    07 Sep 2017 #5

    When changing ISPs, the speed still needs to equalise, the status of your local network is secondary in this case.

    When using the internet on a daily basis, the speed is determined by the overall speed you're paying your ISP for, not the powerline adapers. The speed from those only comes in to play when accessing another device or PC on the same network.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    07 Sep 2017 #6
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 17
    Windows 10 home 64bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by dencal View Post
    Try the following...
    Right click on Winkey (bottom left)....click on Windows Powershell (Admin) and copy paste the following, then press enter.

    netsh winsock reset

    Restart computer for it to take effect.

    Will give this a go, thanks for the tip!
    Quote Originally Posted by swarfega View Post
    When changing ISPs, the speed still needs to equalise, the status of your local network is secondary in this case.

    When using the internet on a daily basis, the speed is determined by the overall speed you're paying your ISP for, not the powerline adapers. The speed from those only comes in to play when accessing another device or PC on the same network.
    I think I know what you're saying. However I'm paying for an identical speed to my last ISP. The line both ISPs use is the same and I didn't experience this issue with the old ISP.

    Also as I've said above the wi-fi speed is consistent with my old ISP. Only seeing the issue on my hardwired connection over the powerlines
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    07 Sep 2017 #7
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 38
    Windows 10 Pro

    You say you have been supplied a new router by your new ISP, if your internal wired network speeds were ok with your previous router and ISP I would be suspecting the problem is with your new router. Have you/can you try using your old router again to see if the problem still exists?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    07 Sep 2017 #8
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 17
    Windows 10 home 64bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheltieuk View Post
    You say you have been supplied a new router by your new ISP, if your internal wired network speeds were ok with your previous router and ISP I would be suspecting the problem is with your new router. Have you/can you try using your old router again to see if the problem still exists?
    Unfortunately with the joy that is UK ISPs they lock them to their respective networks. I'm sure there's a way around this but I don't have the technical wizardry to do it myself at the moment
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    07 Sep 2017 #9
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 38
    Windows 10 Pro

    As a matter of interest what is the make and model of your router?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    07 Sep 2017 #10
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 17
    Windows 10 home 64bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheltieuk View Post
    As a matter of interest what is the make and model of your router?
    Yeah no worries. It's this https://accessories.talktalk.co.uk/p...x?idProduct=35

    I believe it's made by D-Link but couldn't tell you what model as it's all been rebranded with the talktalk branding

    Previously had the BT Homehub 5
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Are your upload speeds to OneDrive slow?
I've had various internet speeds over the course of using OneDrive to store my files. I had upload speeds of 35Mb/s, 42Mb/s, and now with FIOS about 880Mb/s. In every case my upload speed to the OneDrive server was a fraction of my actual upload...
Network and Sharing
Very Slow VPN Speeds - Anniversary Update
Hello, I have been a long time Torguard user with no issues. The other day I installed the Windows 10 anniversary update and after the update my VPN speeds have been terrible. I am getting around 0-5 Mbps download speed on every server. (Wired...
Network and Sharing
Solved LAN Network Slow speeds
Currently have a WiFi network setup for internet. Both computers connect to the router via WiFi Dongles. Which is running no problems. Each computer is then plugged into a network switch (cheap 4 port stand alone unit) via Ethernet cables...
Network and Sharing
Download speeds in browser is slow
I don't know how better to title my post, but download speeds in any browser on my main PC are very slow. First off, my specs: HP Envy 700-059cb Windows 10 (whatever the latest version is for inside preview) 8gb ram i7 4770 My home network...
Network and Sharing
Ethernet Speeds Slow!
Alright, my router is in my living room, my windows 10 computer is connected to the internet via ethernet. After connecting it it from my living room, all the way to my room down a very long hallway, a kitchen and then my room, the connection was...
Network and Sharing
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:55.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums