Network icon showing but clicking does nothing


  1. Posts : 98
    Windows 10 x64 1809
       #1

    Network icon showing but clicking does nothing


    Hello.

    I have recently clean installed Windows 10 CU. I am testing Windows 10 in a dual boot scenario with my Windows 7 installation. I have done about a dozen installs but this is the first time this problem has occurred.

    The Network Icon shows up in the system tray.
    If I hover over it I can see "Internet Access".
    If I right Click it I get two options: Troubleshoot Problems and Open Network and Sharing Center.
    If I left click it nothing happens. I don't see the list of known networks.

    I have access to my home network and the Internet - no issues there - I just can't get the list of networks when I left click the icon.

    I've tried disabling/enabling it. Damned if I can figure out why this is happening.

    I'm using classic shell for my start menu, but I've been using that on all tests and this problem did not present on any of the other times I did a clean install.

    It's not my security software - I haven't gotten that far. At present I've got office, a few authoring programs, Macrium reflect and OpenVPN installed.

    I don't know if the is specific to Windows 10 as I've seen a couple of posts on google about the same issue on Windows 7, but none with solutions.
      My Computer

  2. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 47,476
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       #2

    Wobitancrawfodi said:
    Hello.

    I have recently clean installed Windows 10 CU. I am testing Windows 10 in a dual boot scenario with my Windows 7 installation. I have done about a dozen installs but this is the first time this problem has occurred.

    The Network Icon shows up in the system tray.
    If I hover over it I can see "Internet Access".
    If I right Click it I get two options: Troubleshoot Problems and Open Network and Sharing Center.
    If I left click it nothing happens. I don't see the list of known networks.

    I have access to my home network and the Internet - no issues there - I just can't get the list of networks when I left click the icon.

    I've tried disabling/enabling it. Damned if I can figure out why this is happening.

    I'm using classic shell for my start menu, but I've been using that on all tests and this problem did not present on any of the other times I did a clean install.

    It's not my security software - I haven't gotten that far. At present I've got office, a few authoring programs, Macrium reflect and OpenVPN installed.

    I don't know if the is specific to Windows 10 as I've seen a couple of posts on google about the same issue on Windows 7, but none with solutions.
    Just as a test, does this work? In settings? To see if it will display at all. Maybe clicking it a few times will clear some cobwebs. Just a S.W.A.G.

    Network icon showing but clicking does nothing-2017-06-05_20h54_02.png
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 98
    Windows 10 x64 1809
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Thanks for your reply.
    Sadly, clicking on "show available networks" also does nothing.
      My Computer

  4. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 47,476
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       #4

    Wobitancrawfodi said:
    Thanks for your reply.
    Sadly, clicking on "show available networks" also does nothing.
    I'm really poking now....

    Is it discoverable?

    Network icon showing but clicking does nothing-2017-06-05_21h09_43.png
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 98
    Windows 10 x64 1809
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Hi,

    Yes, it is discoverable. I have set that in both places required, as you showed above, and on the "Change connection properties" page (If I don't set that one the network shows up as public).

    I have also just uninstalled and reinstalled the LAN drivers. Doesn't fix the problem.

    I also have "discovered" (excuse the pun), that I cannot turn off airplane mode (don't know if that's related. I have both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth disabled - by choice).

    LAN and internet access are working fine. I can even connect using my VPN with either L2TP/IPSec or OpenVPN. I just can't get the list of available networks from the sys tray icon or the Ethernet/status page.
      My Computer

  6. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 47,476
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       #6

    Wobitancrawfodi said:
    Hi,

    Yes, it is discoverable. I have set that in both places required, as you showed above, and on the "Change connection properties" page (If I don't set that one the network shows up as public).

    I have also just uninstalled and reinstalled the LAN drivers. Doesn't fix the problem.

    I also have "discovered" (excuse the pun), that I cannot turn off airplane mode.

    LAN and internet access are working fine. I can even connect using my VPN with either L2TP/IPSec or OpenVPN. I just can't get the list of available networks from the sys tray icon or the Ethernet/status page.
    I'm stumped. I'll see if someone else can take a look.....
      My Computers


  7. Eagle51's Avatar
    Posts : 1,471
    Win10 Home x64 - 1809
       #7

    Ok, I'll state the obvious :)
    Have you tried to re-enable WiFi, then see if you can turn Air Plane Mode off, to see if the list of networks show up.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 98
    Windows 10 x64 1809
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Eagle51 said:
    Ok, I'll state the obvious :)
    Have you tried to re-enable WiFi, then see if you can turn Air Plane Mode off, to see if the list of networks show up.
    No, there are no wi-fi drivers installed. Nor are the bluetooth drivers installed. I don't use either.

    I can certainly test the Airplane mode issue by installing the drivers. However, as I said in the original post, I've done clean installs of Windows 10 over a dozen times now and neither of these issues were present in any of the previous installations, and those same drivers were not installed in any of the previous installations. If installing those drivers solves the issues that will be most annoying as I don't want/need/use them and it won't tell me the real cause of the problem since, no previous installation without the drivers exhibited these issues.

    I don't really have the time, but I think I'm going to end up doing another clean install and testing each function after every single change to try and isolate the cause.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 98
    Windows 10 x64 1809
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Sorry for the delay in responding.

    The Airplane mode being forced on and not able to be disabled and the inability to access the network status of any network type from any entry point are all caused by the same issue.

    In my attempts to get W10 down to a sane level of background activity, and since I don't want or need Wif-Fi or Bluetooth I had also disabled the Radio Management service.

    This causes all of the above problems. Seems like an over reach by Mcirosoft, but I shouldn't be surprised. This is the same situation as the Tile Model Data Server - Disabling that adds an extra 20 - 25 seconds to the logon.

    Problem resolved.
      My Computer


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums