Creators Update and Networking settings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 2
    Windows 10
       #1

    Creators Update and Networking settings


    I have a client who's point of sale software runs on Windows 10 Pro, and yes I know they should be using Windows Server but that changeover isn't going to be happening for a while. When this machine had the anniversary update installed last year, it reset all the networking settings to default and I had to run around and get all the cash registers talking to the server again.

    I want to install the creator's update because of one tiny feature, the ability to set active hours to an 18 hour window, this would let me put the windows updates back on automatic without fear that the server will try to reboot during the lunch rush.

    So, I'm wondering if the Creator's Update does anything odd to network settings. (I don't see why it would but I need to be paranoid about it in this case) I'm also wondering if it's possible to *only* install the specific update that expands active hours? Thanks!
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 35,508
    Win 10 Pro (21H2) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #2

    Hi, you could simply set updates to notify only.

    See Winaero's free tweaker (with full explanation) and search for update.
    Creators Update and Networking settings-snap-2017-05-06-10.01.03.jpg

    N.B. follow the non-obvious text- check for updates, then click the button.

    I've never had an unexpected restart.

    More ways to disable Windows update- see the Tutorial section.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 2
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    This is basically what I've already done, I don't want to have to keep going to the restaurant at 11:00 at night to manually update the server. The owner is afraid to try to do it themselves, I like the extra work but the hours are terrible. :P
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 794
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #4

    You will be happy to know that after this Update there are some new settings in the creators update that maybe of interest to you, You might want to check some of them out they also have a setting for businesses although i'm not sure what it does or doesent do.


    In the Windows update click on advanced settings to see whats new.


    Creators Update and Networking settings-advanced-options-1.png
      My Computer


  5. WOT
    Posts : 471
    Win 10 Pro 15063.332 (ex-Insider)
       #5

    @sml156: Good find. I have those new options on my 16188 Pro but I do not have those options on my 16188 Home.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 794
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #6

    WOT said:
    @sml156: Good find. I have those new options on my 16188 Pro but I do not have those options on my 16188 Home.
    Ya I know Microsoft has in my opinion severely crippled the home version there are a few things beside updates that you can't change.
    Although I don't recommend it you should be able to block Microsoft update URL/IP at your router and unblock it when you have the time or patience to unblock it and update.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 35,508
    Win 10 Pro (21H2) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #7

    I'd be tempted to rename 'Pause updates' to something like
    'Hang on MS while I catch my breath' - with MS updating and re-releasing the same update up to four times recently!
      My Computers


  8. WOT
    Posts : 471
    Win 10 Pro 15063.332 (ex-Insider)
       #8

    sml156 said:
    Ya I know Microsoft has in my opinion severely crippled the home version there are a few things beside updates that you can't change.
    Although I don't recommend it you should be able to block Microsoft update URL/IP at your router and unblock it when you have the time or patience to unblock it and update.
    I am fine with Windows Update on my Home machine. I have it set to a metered connection so I can download the updates at my leisure.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 1,098
    Win 10 pro Upgraded from 8.1
       #9

    Yes well I have updated all my business computers to CU and then the next update to Build ***.250 . I have issues with my peer to peer all setting seem correct still my computers are not seeing each other. I use Authorized Users for sharing and security with networking set access using Users/password, just started troubleshooting so I don't know it this is common or not. I did have an issue with one computer after the CU upgrade that ended up being the user account didn't have a period after my middle initial. Once I sorted that out by creating an new user with the correct period after my middle initial all was good until this latest update that move me to build ***.250.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 794
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #10

    Clintlgm said:
    Yes well I have updated all my business computers to CU and then the next update to Build ***.250 . I have issues with my peer to peer all setting seem correct still my computers are not seeing each other. I use Authorized Users for sharing and security with networking set access using Users/password, just started troubleshooting so I don't know it this is common or not. I did have an issue with one computer after the CU upgrade that ended up being the user account didn't have a period after my middle initial. Once I sorted that out by creating an new user with the correct period after my middle initial all was good until this latest update that move me to build ***.250.
    Usually when Microsoft has a major upgrade/update if something gets broken I don't bother trying figure out why I just uninstall the software or drivers for hardware then reinstall it is a lot faster in my opinion.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:15.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums