Can't connect to internet after installing Creators Update

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 13
    Windows 10
       #1

    Can't connect to internet after installing Creators Update


    It took about 3 hrs in install.

    After PC restarted it showed error message
    indicating cable wasn't connected (which it was)

    Could NOT uninstall network adapter drivers.

    Tried to restart with firewall off.

    Do I have to uninstall anti-virus program for this update?

    Had to roll back to previous version of Windows 10.

    Does this upgrade require a patch from Microsoft?

    BTW: Any idea how big this update is?
    Should I download it to a flash drive on Apr 11?

    (I'm assuming the upgrade is deleted after rollback.)

    thanks!

    wertham
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 382
    Windows 10 Home
       #2

    Apparently you are not the only one (me for one don't have any problems after installing Creators Update):

    Cant connect to internet after installing Windows 10 Creators Update [Fix]

    Windows 10 Creators Update common installation problems and fixes | Windows Central
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 13
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    prikker said:
    Apparently you are not the only one (me for one don't have any problems after installing Creators Update):

    Cant connect to internet after installing Windows 10 Creators Update [Fix]

    Windows 10 Creators Update common installation problems and fixes | Windows Central
    Thanks for the heads up. I was reading that some folks had this problem back in December after an update & there was some sort of patch for 1607. I've never had this problem before.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 100
    Window 11 Home 64bit
       #4

    1 out of 4 pc's would not connect to the internet after CrU. (using Dell Inspiron, MB built in nic.)
    Tried wireless usb dongle, nope, sees dongle, but won't connect.
    Reverted back to pre CrU. PC now has internet. <shrugs>
    Smells like Do not disturb/Airplane mode.
    Will look at this some more in the future.

    (prior to doing the Creators Update, I had done a 'Refresh W10 installation, hoping to avoid problems)
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 13
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    me75006 said:
    1 out of 4 pc's would not connect to the internet after CrU. (using Dell Inspiron, MB built in nic.)
    Tried wireless usb dongle, nope, sees dongle, but won't connect.
    Reverted back to pre CrU. PC now has internet. <shrugs>
    Smells like Do not disturb/Airplane mode.
    Will look at this some more in the future.

    (prior to doing the Creators Update, I had done a 'Refresh W10 installation, hoping to avoid problems)
    What does "Refresh W10 installation" actually do?

    Might try it again next week after uninstalling VPN software & anti-virus program
    (as some have suggested)

    Would use up a lot of bandwidth on 3 PCs! Download to flash drive maybe?
    I'm guessing it's 3-4 gig?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 100
    Window 11 Home 64bit
       #6

    wertham said:
    What does "Refresh W10 installation" actually do?
    Might try it again next week after uninstalling VPN software & anti-virus program
    (as some have suggested)
    Would use up a lot of bandwidth on 3 PCs! Download to flash drive maybe?
    I'm guessing it's 3-4 gig?
    refresh -
    Refresh Windows 10 - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 26,984
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       #7

    wertham said:
    What does "Refresh W10 installation" actually do?

    Might try it again next week after uninstalling VPN software & anti-virus program
    (as some have suggested)

    Would use up a lot of bandwidth on 3 PCs! Download to flash drive maybe?
    I'm guessing it's 3-4 gig?
    Hi wertham.

    VPN could be a problem for problems after upgrade. Too bad you already performed roll back.

    System refresh isn't something you should do before upgrade. It won't hurt, thou.

    Download is around 3 to 4 GB, as you stated. You can download ISO with Media creation tool and perform upgrade on all your machines.
    If you don't need clean install, you can just copy the ISO file (to USB or over network), mount it and run setup.

    For clean install you have to make bootable USB drive.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 13
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #8

    AndreTen said:
    Hi wertham.

    VPN could be a problem for problems after upgrade. Too bad you already performed roll back.

    System refresh isn't something you should do before upgrade. It won't hurt, thou.

    Download is around 3 to 4 GB, as you stated. You can download ISO with Media creation tool and perform upgrade on all your machines.
    If you don't need clean install, you can just copy the ISO file (to USB or over network), mount it and run setup.

    For clean install you have to make bootable USB drive.
    Many thanks for the extremely helpful information!
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 13
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    AndreTen said:
    Hi wertham.

    VPN could be a problem for problems after upgrade. Too bad you already performed roll back.

    System refresh isn't something you should do before upgrade. It won't hurt, thou.

    Download is around 3 to 4 GB, as you stated. You can download ISO with Media creation tool and perform upgrade on all your machines.
    If you don't need clean install, you can just copy the ISO file (to USB or over network), mount it and run setup.

    For clean install you have to make bootable USB drive.
    Well there goes another 5 hrs of my life I'll never get back.

    Uninstalled VPN, anti-virus programs, firewalls... you name it.

    Updated drivers... then eventually reset network after all else failed.

    Couldn't understand why the updates took so long
    when I was using that Media Creation Tool disk.

    Anyway, I've gone through the whole checklist.
    Maybe I'll leave that PC as it is for now (with no connectivity)
    in case Microsoft comes up with a patch of some kind
    like they did back in Dec 2016 (?)
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 26,984
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       #10

    wertham said:
    Well there goes another 5 hrs of my life I'll never get back.

    Uninstalled VPN, anti-virus programs, firewalls... you name it.

    Updated drivers... then eventually reset network after all else failed.

    Couldn't understand why the updates took so long
    when I was using that Media Creation Tool disk.

    Anyway, I've gone through the whole checklist.
    Maybe I'll leave that PC as it is for now (with no connectivity)
    in case Microsoft comes up with a patch of some kind
    like they did back in Dec 2016 (?)
    Sorry to hear that. Can you give us some more hardware info?
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:06.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums