Windows 10: Hidden wifi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    03 Jul 2015 #1

    Hidden wifi


    Hi!

    Does anyone of you could connect to an hidden wifi network? or it's just my laptop?

    Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 5,012
    Windows 10 Pro X64 15063.138
       03 Jul 2015 #2

    What do you mean by hidden? Do mean it's not broadcasting it's SSID? If so you should be able to enter that manually to connect.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    03 Jul 2015 #3

    Ztruker said: View Post
    What do you mean by hidden? Do mean it's not broadcasting it's SSID? If so you should be able to enter that manually to connect.
    Hi! thanks for your answer.
    Yes, it's not broadcasting it's SSID. I can see "Hidden Network" in the list, I click on it, I enter the correct name and the correct password (works with my Android) and windows X says that, it cannot connect...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    10 Jul 2015 #4

    I get that too.
    Apparently there are multiple Wi-Fi networks at my workplace. Two are identifiable by name and one is hidden.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HiddenNetworks.jpg  
    Last edited by CountryBumkin; 16 Jul 2015 at 13:50.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       11 Jul 2015 #5

    I do not broadcast the SSID and I can connect. There was one release that caused the issue you're experiencing - I kept entering the information and finally decided to disable the adapter, let it sit a few minutes and the enabled it again. I think it took two more attempts to enter the SSID and Password, but it did accept them.

    10.0.166 doesn't seem to have this issue.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    09 Feb 2016 #6

    What is this "Hidden Network" on Win 10


    I also am seeing "Hidden Network" in my Wifi list which I never saw before:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	63224

    What really is this "Hidden Network" and what is it's purpose?? is this someone using my wifi? someone using my connection? Please explain what this is and why I am seeing this on Win 10 when I never saw a "Hidden Network" when I was using Win Vista.

    Thanks!

    Lin
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 3,439
    EL Capitan
       09 Feb 2016 #7

    purjuju said: View Post
    Hi!

    Does anyone of you could connect to an hidden wifi network? or it's just my laptop?

    Thanks
    All that I would need is either my Android tablet or use 'netsh wlan show all' on a Windows computer to scan for all available networks. As for getting through WEP/WPA/WPA2 security on that network, there is a set of tools to find out that info, or just send a attachment in an email and have the user to click on and have the trojan send back the key for that SSID.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 3,439
    EL Capitan
       09 Feb 2016 #8

    skeefiez11 said: View Post
    I also am seeing "Hidden Network" in my Wifi list which I never saw before:

    What really is this "Hidden Network" and what is it's purpose?? is this someone using my wifi? someone using my connection? Please explain what this is and why I am seeing this on Win 10 when I never saw a "Hidden Network" when I was using Win Vista.

    Thanks!

    Lin
    It is nothing. It is like tuning in your radio or tv and finding a broadcast, without knowing the call letters of the station.

    Any radio device that transmits, will show up when scanned for what band space they are using on the 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz bands, along with the channel that it is on.

    Just because a network shows up in that list, does not mean anything. Look at it like standing in the middle of the street and looking at a bunch of houses You can see the houses, but do not know who lives there, or what the addresses of them are, if the address is obscured. Just because you do not know who lives there, or the addresses, does not mean that they have the ability to just walk up to you and get into your house.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    09 Feb 2016 #9

    bro67 said: View Post
    It is nothing. It is like tuning in your radio or tv and finding a broadcast, without knowing the call letters of the station.

    Any radio device that transmits, will show up when scanned for what band space they are using on the 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz bands, along with the channel that it is on.

    Just because a network shows up in that list, does not mean anything. Look at it like standing in the middle of the street and looking at a bunch of houses You can see the houses, but do not know who lives there, or what the addresses of them are, if the address is obscured. Just because you do not know who lives there, or the addresses, does not mean that they have the ability to just walk up to you and get into your house.
    Thank you for the explanation of that. It is curious then that I saw a few folks in the thread still wanting to connect to that "hidden network" without knowing what it is...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 3,439
    EL Capitan
       09 Feb 2016 #10

    Hidden wifi


    Most wifi A/P's on Channel 11, that have no SSID, are for utilities that remote read Power, water, Natural Gas.

    Some people freak out when they see "Hidden" in the list of available access points. Even worse is the fact that Microsoft hs made ten very unsecure, by making it that your computer can automatically connect to someone's access point, who is in your contact list.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Been using Win 10 TP since build 9926 and all those since then with no WiFi problems until Build 10240. I now have an IP configuration problem only when waking from sleep. When waking from sleep, there is no Internet access and Troubleshooting...
hy, i have question about 10147 release. does anyone else have WiFi drops? it happens like 5-10 times a day. usualy when i search for windows updates(maybe a coincidence?) or when i reboot the pc. then i troubleshooted a bit, i figured out that...
Solved Hidden icons in General Support
Just installed build 10074. Icons non-clickable in "hidden icons", any ideas or is just not available.
For some reason in the latest build 9926, I can no longer enter my WiFi key (which contains a long phrase with spaces in it). The keyboard doesn't allow entry of the space.. it just doesn't do anything. Anyone else have this issue? It worked...
Interesting occurrence: Installed WinTP, then installed old WiFi card (XP vintage). The driver was not recognized, caused instability, so removed it. I have set up the computer to Login using an Microsoft Outlook account I created. Getting...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:13.
Find Us