1.    27 Jun 2015 #1
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Georgetown, Texas
    Posts : 88
    Always the latest Insider build.

    No System partition on new clean install


    I did a clean install build 10130 on separate (MBR) ssd. All other ssds (Win 7 and Win 8.1) were unplugged. I ended up with no "system" partition. I use the Win 8.1 ssd as the first in the boot order and this drive has a "system" partition from an earlier Win 10 install.
    All is well and the Boot Loader Menu shows the OS to choose from.
    QUESTION: Is it necessary to have a "system" partition on the Win 10 installation? Can one be added with out a new clean install??
    Thanks for any help
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    27 Jun 2015 #2

    Run Disk Management by right-clicking or pressing and holding Computer (This PC), clicking Manage > Storage > Disk Management. The drive that is labelled as System is where the boot files are stored. It is where the initial booting starts from and, if you're multi-booting, it produces a list of operating systems on the screen. The operating system you boot to will be labelled as Boot, Crash Dump and Page File and is given the drive letter C, which is not necessarily the System drive, i.e. you’re not necessarily booting to the System drive where the boot files are located. Also, the Page File could have been disabled or moved to a different drive to, say, alleviate disk space problems.

    The first installed disk is numbered as disk 0 (zero) and the next one is 1 (one), etc. however, partitions are numbered from 1 (one) onwards. If you have a pre-installed version of Windows, you may have partitions without drive letters and a manufacturer’s recovery partition. These can be disregarded in terms of booting.

    A single Windows installation will contain six attributes: Primary, System, Active, Boot, Page File and Crash Dump, although the Page File could have been disabled or moved.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    27 Jun 2015 #3
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Georgetown, Texas
    Posts : 88
    Always the latest Insider build.
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by BurrWalnut View Post
    Run Disk Management by right-clicking or pressing and holding Computer (This PC), clicking Manage > Storage > Disk Management. The drive that is labelled as System is where the boot files are stored. It is where the initial booting starts from and, if you're multi-booting, it produces a list of operating systems on the screen. The operating system you boot to will be labelled as Boot, Crash Dump and Page File and is given the drive letter C, which is not necessarily the System drive, i.e. you’re not necessarily booting to the System drive where the boot files are located. Also, the Page File could have been disabled or moved to a different drive to, say, alleviate disk space problems.

    The first installed disk is numbered as disk 0 (zero) and the next one is 1 (one), etc. however, partitions are numbered from 1 (one) onwards. If you have a pre-installed version of Windows, you may have partitions without drive letters and a manufacturer’s recovery partition. These can be disregarded in terms of booting.

    A single Windows installation will contain six attributes: Primary, System, Active, Boot, Page File and Crash Dump, although the Page File could have been disabled or moved.
    Thank you for your input.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    27 Jun 2015 #4
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 3,986
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint

    I'm confused, don't see how this thread fits in Network and Sharing. Maybe in Installation?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    27 Jun 2015 #5
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    I'm confused, don't see how this thread fits in Network and Sharing. Maybe in Installation?
    It's not unusual for a thread to end up in the incorrect section. But just as long as it's answered it's all good.
    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    27 Jun 2015 #6
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    DFW Area
    Posts : 440
    Windows 8&10

    If you removed all other drives, it is possibly to install without a System Reserved partition if you pre-partition the drive.

    But my question would be how did you get a boot menu, which included the other installs, if they were not present during the install?

    A picture of your Disk Management might help. Also, using an administrative command prompt and typing
    bcdedit /enum all
    might show you and us where the boot files are.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    27 Jun 2015 #7
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Georgetown, Texas
    Posts : 88
    Always the latest Insider build.
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Saltgrass View Post
    If you removed all other drives, it is possibly to install without a System Reserved partition if you pre-partition the drive.

    But my question would be how did you get a boot menu, which included the other installs, if they were not present during the install?

    A picture of your Disk Management might help. Also, using an administrative command prompt and typing
    bcdedit /enum all
    might show you and us where the boot files are.
    Thanks. I will do as you suggest. I will be traveling for a few days so it will next weekend before I can get to it.
    To answer your question, I had three OS on 3 seperate ssd's. Win 8.1 was the drive with the system boot files. This latest Win 10 Build 10130 was a re-Install (clean off a USB) because my exsisting Win 10 10130 was acting flakey . So I removed the Win 8.1 and the Win 7 ssd's and did a clean install deleting all the exsisting partitions on the old Win 10 10130. This gave and unallocated partition and this is where I installed the Win 10. Thus no reserved partition.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    28 Jun 2015 #8
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 1,929
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10

    This latest Win 10 Build 10130 was a re-Install (clean off a USB) because my exsisting Win 10 10130 was acting flakey . So I removed the Win 8.1 and the Win 7 ssd's and did a clean install deleting all the exsisting partitions on the old Win 10 10130. This gave and unallocated partition and this is where I installed the Win 10. Thus no reserved partition.
    to answer correctly _ the reinstallation of windows 10 was to an existing disk - with a prior BCD boot record (which is the entry the Boot menu is using)
    and since you installed in MBR mode - there is NO reserved partition, nor is there a need for a system partition.. As MBR can share the OS partition and the System Partition
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    28 Jun 2015 #9
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Georgetown, Texas
    Posts : 88
    Always the latest Insider build.
    Thread Starter

    Thanks for the info and "correct way to explain my situation".
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10 Preview (10130) Clean Install On Vista System
First I would like to say hello to everyone on the forum. Second I have quite a few questions as to doing a clean install of Windows 10 Preview (10130) on my PC that has Windows Vista currently on it. First, will my PC support Windows 10?...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved Windows Installation Error; Will not install on Partition
Hey there, I am trying to install Windows 10 10130 onto my laptop's blank partition that is 400 GB. Upon installing I noticed it gives me an error that says "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one." I'm not sure what this...
Installation and Upgrade
Clean install Windows 10 and keep my Windows 8.1 partition?
Since I had trouble with the upgrade with Windows 10 running very slow i'd like to try a clean install, but i'm weary because I am afraid it will wipe my 8.1 main partition and not roll back. I'm using this as a guide, but need to make sure i'm...
Installation and Upgrade
How to boot Win10 without the System Reserved Partition ?
It is possible in Win8. If it is possible in Win10, I'd like to know how.
General Support
Showing System Reserved Partition in File Explorer?
Hi For some reason Windows 10 is showing the System Reserved partition from Windows 8 in the File Explorer window. It never did this before. See Drive D:\ https://www.tenforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5674&stc=1
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:03.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums