Windows 10: Help with changing wifi password?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    10 Nov 2016 #1

    Help with changing wifi password?


    Recently was advised to change my wifi password. Although I can handle myself when using my browser, I do have trouble when dealing with networking and wifi. So, my question is: Do I have to just change the PW on windows 10 (if so, how,) or is there more to it...if so, what do I have to do? Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    10 Nov 2016 #2

    flycaster said: View Post
    Recently was advised to change my wifi password. Although I can handle myself when using my browser, I do have trouble when dealing with networking and wifi. So, my question is: Do I have to just change the PW on windows 10 (if so, how,) or is there more to it...if so, what do I have to do? Thanks.
    The Windows password and your WiFi password are different. To change your WiFi password, you need to login to your router. In most cases, you can access your router by entering 192.168.1.1 in your browser. That should bring up your router interface. You can change the password using the router interface.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 2,539
    Windows 10.4 Home 1703 x64 16257.1
       10 Nov 2016 #3

    I had actually trouble finding out, how to change a password, since Windows remembers everything, so just in case:

    Wireless Network Profile - Delete in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    10 Nov 2016 #4

    TexasBandit said: View Post
    The Windows password and your WiFi password are different. To change your WiFi password, you need to login to your router. In most cases, you can access your router by entering 192.168.1.1 in your browser. That should bring up your router interface. You can change the password using the router interface.
    Thanks, but I just got the following message when trying and don't know what to do:

    "The connection has timed out

    The server at 192.168.1.107 is taking too long to respond.

    The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computerís network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."

    EDIT: I found my wifi url (different than the one you suggested,) and my PW for it. Got on to the Linksys/Cisco site. Went to the Administration tab>Management and there were two fields: "Router Password" and "Re-enter to confirm." Within each field is a series of dots and at the end of the dots is a red circle with a lock inside icon. How do I proceed from here as I don't see anything indicting "change of password," if I am in the right place?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    10 Nov 2016 #5

    You often have to enter the old password and then the new one there maybe other password it sounds as if you trying got change admin one which is for login you want under wireless the wifi one
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    10 Nov 2016 #6

    flycaster said: View Post
    Thanks, but I just got the following message when trying and don't know what to do:

    "The connection has timed out

    The server at 192.168.1.107 is taking too long to respond.

    The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computerís network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."

    EDIT: I found my wifi url (different than the one you suggested,) and my PW for it. Got on to the Linksys/Cisco site. Went to the Administration tab>Management and there were two fields: "Router Password" and "Re-enter to confirm." Within each field is a series of dots and at the end of the dots is a red circle with a lock inside icon. How do I proceed from here as I don't see anything indicting "change of password," if I am in the right place?
    That section is for the password you enter to get into the routers settings. You need to go to your WiFi or wireless settings page, look for the security options, and the WiFi password will be listed as either Password, or Key, or WPA Key.

    On my router it's the Password (Network Key) block:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	109537
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    10 Nov 2016 #7

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    That section is for the password you enter to get into the routers settings. You need to go to your WiFi or wireless settings page, look for the security options, and the WiFi password will be listed as either Password, or Key, or WPA Key.

    On my router it's the Password (Network Key) block:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	109537
    So are you saying that I should enter my "PW" into the field and then I will get to the wifi or wireless settings page?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    10 Nov 2016 #8

    flycaster said: View Post
    So are you saying that I should enter my "PW" into the field and then I will get to the wifi or wireless settings page?
    It's hard to say without knowing/seeing exactly which page you are on. Are you actually inside your router's setup webpage (which it sounds like you are)? Then you should have already entered your router password once to get into the settings. Next you need to look for Wireless or WiFi setup instead of the Administration tab. See in my screenshot on the left column, I am in the Setup->Wireless Setup tab, not the Administration tab,
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    10 Nov 2016 #9

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    It's hard to say without knowing/seeing exactly which page you are on. Are you actually inside your router's setup webpage (which it sounds like you are)? Then you should have already entered your router password once to get into the settings. Next you need to look for Wireless or WiFi setup instead of the Administration tab. See in my screenshot on the left column, I am in the Setup->Wireless Setup tab, not the Administration tab,
    Yeah, been doing a little googling and now see I should be in Wireless and not Administration. Thanks.

    EDIT: Well, maybe not so as this site--http://www.tech-faq.com/linksys-router-password.html-- (and others) say the way to change the PW is to go to Administration>Management. Read Steps 5,6,7 under Changing the Routerís Password Via Web Setup.
    Last edited by flycaster; 10 Nov 2016 at 13:26.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    11 Nov 2016 #10

    TexasBandit said: View Post
    The Windows password and your WiFi password are different. To change your WiFi password, you need to login to your router. In most cases, you can access your router by entering 192.168.1.1 in your browser. That should bring up your router interface. You can change the password using the router interface.
    Just what to add that most routers use admin as the user and password as the password to access the router until the user changes it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
hi I use windows 10 and Microsoft edge and play cards on a website.. edge asked did I want to save password I saved it but now want to change password.. I went to settings then advanced setting where I can change password.. I changed...
Incorrect Password after changing 'user' in User Accounts and Family Safety
Hello all. Newbie here and not very tech savvy. I was working on my laptop just fine this morning and when using a specific program noticed it was saving work as a previous user. So I went to accounts and changed the user name to mine. Now when I...
I have my laptop at work and have had no trouble connecting the company WiFi (they have Guest WiFi and a WiFi where you need to enter your company provided Username and Password). I have been connecting using my Username and password. Today I had...
Solved Trouble Changing Wi-Fi Password in Network and Sharing
I've been following the following steps to change my Wi-Fi password for some time: Launch Control Panel. Click "Network and Internet." Click "Network and Sharing Center." Click "Wi-Fi...." Click "Wireless Properties." Click the Security...
Just an fyi I guess; had to reset password ok, then when using the link to change password the mobile browser said the action was not supported. So I loged in with tapatalk and it has a menu option to do it (profile).
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20.
Find Us