Windows 10: Preserving credentials when sharing folder under Win 10 for Win XP.
Preserving credentials when sharing folder under Win 10 for Win XP.
I would like to share a folder under Windows 10 Professional and access it under venerable Windows XP Home.
I have no problems with sharing protected by passoword, but after any shut down/restart of Win XP it looses this credentials.
How could I store this credentials permanently?
A more detailed description of my configuration:
- Machine with Windows 10 Pro is called S. This machine has a folder F to be shared. The user and password are respectively: US & PS.
- Machine with Windows XP Home is called K and similary user & password are: UK & PK. I cannot change the operating system to any newer one.
- In the physical network there're many other nodes, but there're not mine and I must protect the access to folder F agaist them.
- I can share this folder F in such manner that accessing it on host K requires enetering username US and password PS. It works fine, but after any shut down/restart I must manually enter these credentials once again.
- I would like to know how to store this credentials permanently that even after reboot and without any manual activity this resource F would be accessible from K.
Thank you in advance for your reply.
Did not really need all of that information. If you have mapped drives on any machine, the credentials for those mapped shares are kept under your user profile and in the Registry. If you are having to reenter the credentials every time you log into the machine, then either you have something clearing that information out, or you have not set to remember the credentials in the OS.
Trying to set up a network for the first time. My intention was to share public folders but when I right click on my user folders (e.g. PC\Users\Dave\Documents they are shown as "Shared" and clicking on "Stop sharing" doesn't seem to do anything....
I have a problem with sharing some folders.
On my PC I have set 3 folders to share. One for personal data and other two for sharing pictures and videos.
Folders with pictures and videos are shared that anyone on network can...
I've got a problem in stopping sharing some folders across my home network. Not sure if it matters, but I'm on Windows 10 Pro, running my admin user account.
Anyways, I have a folder I want to unshare from my network called Pictures2...
I Upgraded to Windows 10 two days ago, I shared one of the folders on my desktop and now I can't close the share.
When I click stop sharing on both the ribbon and the context specific menu, after I right click the folder, nothing happens.
After upgrading to Win 10 on both my PC & HP laptop, folder sharing worked even with my wife's Mac. Oddly, now the only one that works is PC to Mac. All folder sharing fails between my PC & HP laptop.
I've checked my shared folders to be sure...