Windows 10: Does Windows 10 reserve 80% of internet bandwidth for the system?
Missing decent UK beer
Does Windows 10 reserve 80% of internet bandwidth for the system?
I am currently struggling with an appallingly slow internet speed.
In trying to resolve this I came across a Youtube video that claims that Windows 10 reserves 80% of internet bandwidth for the system, and shows you how to change this.
The video quality is worse than poor, but I worked out that it's through gpedit.msc then Administrative Templates then Network.
I wasn't able to try this as my laptop doesn't recognise gpedit.msc but does anyone know if this is correct (that bandwidth is significantly restricted by the system) and, if so, is it possible to change the setting to free up bandwidth?
Hi, never heard that one. There is the very well known setting from the earliest days to stop your PC redistributing (uploading) updates to other PCs.
Normally there's almost nothing happening on my connection when my PC is idle.
Windows update deals with- well- updates, and Windows Defender updates if in use.
Universal apps will maintain their data as applicable (you have some control of which run in the background in Settings.
Universal apps are updated on a 4 hourly schedule.
Hope that helps.
Last edited by dalchina; 23 Sep 2016 at 05:53.
That is a myth, dating back to XP days. The claim that was that 20% was reserved. Actually 20% bandwidth (by default) can be reserved by QOS aware applications. Windows does not do this. But even then this only happens if they are actively using it. Otherwise 100% of bandwidth is available for applications.
Be nice to all, please?!
How do you define slow? Slow loading webpages could be fixed by cleaning various caches and changing DNS.
CCleaner - Builds
How to Switch to OpenDNS or Google DNS to Speed Up Web Browsing
1. What is your supposed internet speed provided by your ISP provider?
2. What is your real internet speed? Check at https://www.speedtest.net and copy URL with the result.
3. How are you connected to the internet? Cable or WiFi? Do you use a router? What AV and firewall do you have?
No. As LMiller7 states, Windows *can* reserve 20% of bandwidth (leaving 80% for normal operations) in some conditions, primarily for Windows Update. This is not a constant 20%, only when Windows Update is downloading. Other apps can reserve this bandwidth as well, but they are not normal apps people would typically run (for instance, a VOIP client might do this to reserve enough bandwidth to ensure call quality is good).
Missing decent UK beer
Sorry for my original post seeming a little vague, @TairikuOkami, but I was really looking for an answer to the specific query not a solution to the problem on this occasion, strange as it may seem.
Reason is I am house sitting for a friend and using her satellite internet. We had some bad weather earlier this week which may have knocked something out, but I don't want to get into trying to sort things with her ISP as she's back on Sunday.
I have already tried CCleaner, and the speedtest, which was a staggering 0.08mps for download (it got up to 0.24 once though). I have no idea what speed she should be getting but I can't deal with the ISP to sort this out as I have none of her details.
I was just curious about this video talking about the 80% retention. It did seem to show a setting mentioning 80% but as the screenshot was blurry I can't verify that. I have actually seen a few people making a similar claim and recommendation.
I will look into the DNS options you mentioned though, as this is something I can try on my laptop without affecting her system.
Many thanks for your suggestions
I mistakenly deleted reserved system E. Can I get it back? It was full and showing a solid red line. What is happening to stuff that should be in system reserved E?
How to make the download speed of the Windows Store faster. My current network speed is 30 MB/s but it's using only about 12KB/s, what should I do?
This is the 2nd system (my wife's computer) we want to run Windows 10. Currently that system is running windows
7 Pro. The first system system went without a single hitch and it was running windows 7 Pro as well.. The download was complete so I...
Every time I try to update and install windows 10 I get this error. It seems as if my reserve partition is too small to download windows 10. How would I go about fixing this issue. I have had a dual boot of linux in the past but got rid of it months...
Windows 10 uses your Internet bandwidth to offer updates to others: Report... According to a report by The Next Web, this feature is designed to help users get updates faster and is enabled by default in Windows 10 Home and Pro editions. Other...