Windows 10: How to merge Ethernet and WiFi connection Network names in one Name?

  1.    21 Sep 2016 #1

    How to merge Ethernet and WiFi connection Network names in one Name?


    Hi,


    I am connected to one Router. However, when connected wirelessly, I see there is a network name 'MikroTik- Mohammad'. However, when I am connected with a wired cable, I see the network name as 'MikroTik-BCEDB'. As a result, when I am connected wirelessly and via wired cable to the same router, I see two network names, although I am connected to one router. This is strange.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	How to merge Ethernet and WiFi connectin Network names.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	102515
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	How to merge Ethernet and WiFi connectin Network names1.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	102517


    How to merge Ethernet and WiFi connection Network names in one Network name?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 11,234
    W10Prox64
       21 Sep 2016 #2

    Hadramawt said: View Post
    Hi,


    I am connected to one Router. However, when connected wirelessly, I see there is a network name 'MikroTik- Mohammad'. However, when I am connected with a wired cable, I see the network name as 'MikroTik-BCEDB'. As a result,when I am connected wirelessly and via wired cable to the same router, I see two network names, although I am connected to one router. This is strange.

    How to merge Ethernet and WiFi connection Network names in one Network name?
    You don't. You either connect with an ethernet cable or wifi-not both at the same time. When you set up a wireless connection on your router, you have to give it a name (SSID) to broadcast (or, even if it's hidden, it still needs an SSID) and this name is for the wireless network connection. The wireless network is handled separately than the wired network. The wireless network can be turned off, and the wired network will still function. The wireless network should have a password set, to prevent unauthorized access. The ethernet connection doesn't have that password setup, as you have to be physically present to "plug in".

    Hope that helps.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 3,439
    EL Capitan
       22 Sep 2016 #3

    You cannot because they are two separate connections. You can "Bridge" the two and use the device as a way to allow wireless devices to connect through it to the gateway. Basically you are creating an expensive Access Point when you use the computer in place of a real access point, or wanting to watch packets for something that you are trying to troubleshoot for something that is causing issues on another computer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    22 Sep 2016 #4

    bro67 said: View Post
    You cannot because they are two separate connections. You can "Bridge" the two and use the device as a way to allow wireless devices to connect through it to the gateway. Basically you are creating an expensive Access Point when you use the computer in place of a real access point, or wanting to watch packets for something that you are trying to troubleshoot for something that is causing issues on another computer.
    Thank you both of you very much indeed,
    I can be connected to Ethernet and Wireless connection at the same time. I have tried that. However, in the past while I was connected to wireless and Ethernet connection at the same time, the connection network name was the same. I did take a screen shot of that. However, I have another user's screen shot while he/she is connected to both Wireless and Ethernet connection at the same time. His/her system is in Czech language. I will post the screen shot later. It is not in hand now.


    Also, They are NOT two separate connections.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 3,439
    EL Capitan
       22 Sep 2016 #5

    Yes you can, but that does not mean that it is going to give you faster speeds. Windows will always use the best connection for data transfer. There is no need to post a screen shot, since your question is asked by hundreds of people every day.

    When you have two connections that are not bridge, they are two separate connections and only one gets used by Windows. If you have "Bridged" the connections, then the wireless will become in the sense of a WiFi Access Point.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    22 Sep 2016 #6

    bro67 said: View Post
    Yes you can, but that does not mean that it is going to give you faster speeds. Windows will always use the best connection for data transfer. There is no need to post a screen shot, since your question is asked by hundreds of people every day.

    When you have two connections that are not bridge, they are two separate connections and only one gets used by Windows. If you have "Bridged" the connections, then the wireless will become in the sense of a WiFi Access Point.
    Thanks a lot,
    I think I have NOT gotten what you meant with the 'bridged connections' and 'non-bridged connections. So, could you please read my points below, and let me know if I have any 'bridged connections or 'non-bridged connections'. According to what I have let me know why in point#1, I saw only one network name, although I am connected wirelessly and via a wired cable to the same TP-Link Router. However, in the point#2, I saw two separate connections, althoguh I am connected wirelessly and via a wired cable to the same MikroTik Router.

    Point#1, as you may know that the TP-Link router/modem can be used a modem and router in the same time. When I am connected directly to my TP-Link Router/Modem(without using the MikrTik Router), which was setup via PPPoE, then I saw the two connections(Wireless and Ethernet) are merged in one network name.(see screen shot below).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ethernet and WiFi connectin Network name are mereged in one network name.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	102645

    Ponit#2 As you may know that MikrTik router is only a router, and cannot be used as a modem. So, I needed to use TP-Link as modem by resetting it. When I rested my TP-Link Router/Modem to be used as a transparent modem in bridge mode. And I used another MikrTik router(RB2011) to be configured via PPPoE. To do so, I have plugged the ADSL line in to the ADSL port on the TP-Link Router/Modem which was now is used as only modem. And, then I used a two-head Ethernet Cable to be connected from one of its ends to the LAN port on the TP-Link router/modem, and the other end to be connected to the first ETH1 port(called POE) as was said in the manual that I must plug the in the ETH1 port to have an internet. Then, I setup/configured the MikrTik Router via PPPoE.
    So, when I am connected wirelessly and via a wired cable to the same MikrTik router. I saw the two connections(Wireless and Ethernet) are not merged in one network name.(see screen shot below).


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	How to merge Ethernet and WiFi connectin Network names1.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	102646

    I want to let the two connections in the second image to be like the first one. How to do so?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 3,439
    EL Capitan
       22 Sep 2016 #7

    Bridged means exactly that. Ever driven down a road and crossed a railroad or river. That is what is called Bridged. Non-Bridged means that the two network connections are independent and that there is nothing routed between them.

    There really was no need for the screen shots and there really is nothing else to explain to you about this. There is a tutorial available that explains about bridging a wired and wireless connection on a computer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    22 Sep 2016 #8

    bro67 said: View Post
    Bridged means exactly that. Ever driven down a road and crossed a railroad or river. That is what is called Bridged. Non-Bridged means that the two network connections are independent and that there is nothing routed between them.

    There really was no need for the screen shots and there really is nothing else to explain to you about this. There is a tutorial available that explains about bridging a wired and wireless connection on a computer.
    Thanks a lot,
    Could you please take some of your precious time out to read my points #1, and point #2 posted before and understand me?


    The screen shots posted in my last post were taken from while using point #1, and while using point#2.

    If this 'Ever driven down a road and crossed a railroad or river' means 'bridge', I don't use any bridged connections in both points #1, and points#2 posted before.

    As a result, why do I see two different connection network names in point #2(the Ethernet connection with a network name(SSID), and the WiFi connection with a different network name(SSID)).
    However, one connection network name in the point #1(the Ethernet connection and the WiFi connection with the same network name(SSID)). Bear in mind, the issue is not in the Network connection( Ethernet and WiFi). However, in the SSID. In point #1, both Ethernet and the WiFi connection have the same network name(SSID). However, in point #2, each of Ethernet connection and the WiFi connection has a different network name(SSID).


    Moreover, when a person from Czech Republic looked at my second screen shot under point #2 in my last post(two separate connections), then he told me to set the wire as "home network", and set the wifi to be the same network..
    The chat made between me and that person is below:

    Person: you need to join these two networks into one in windows...otherwise the mixture of it in windows can make such problems too

    ME: There are two, Wireless network name, and Local Area Network name.


    Person: not two, logically it is one network, bridged in router, so it is the same one like other
    might me very probably.
    Person: set the wire as "home network", and set the wifi to be the same network.. should look like this (in win7):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ethernet and WiFi connectin Network name are mereged in one network name(Czech Republic).png 
Views:	7 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	102686

    Person: I have both interfaces (wifi and wire) connected at once, windows see it as one network of home type
    Person: do this in win10 and try again, it should stay connected both.
    Last edited by Hadramawt; 22 Sep 2016 at 19:10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    23 Sep 2016 #9

    bro67 said: View Post
    Bridged means exactly that. Ever driven down a road and crossed a railroad or river. That is what is called Bridged. Non-Bridged means that the two network connections are independent and that there is nothing routed between them.

    There really was no need for the screen shots and there really is nothing else to explain to you about this. There is a tutorial available that explains about bridging a wired and wireless connection on a computer.
    Hi, Bro67, I have succeeded to let Ethernet and WiFi connection Network name be merged in one network name.

    I change the Network Name(SSID) from 'MikroTik-Mohammad' to 'MikroTik-BCE3DB'. So, Ethernet and WiFi connectin Network names were merged in one network name(SSID), which is ''MikroTik-BCE3DB'.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	How to merge Ethernet and WiFi connectin Network names1.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	102717

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Ethernet and WiFi connectin Network name are mereged in one network name while connected to M.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	102718
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Debug report attached. 27187
Hi all, I'm yet another victim of the unidentified network Windows bug. I've had my Surface Pro 4 for two weeks now and ethernet has never worked through my docking station. Originally I thought it was a surface thing, but apparently all Windows...
Please help. My laptop is for some unknown reason not connecting to the internet via wifi or ethernet. It will also not diagnose the problem as it says The Diagnostics Policy Service is not running and it cannot fix it. Please can someone advise -...
Hi guys. Bit of a "first world problem" here i know but it is slightly irritating and really would appreciate any help There is 2 computers and 2 virgin superhubs in the house i live in (not both mine) both ethernet connected. Occasionally i...
I have a desktop pc in room 1 which up until now has been connecting fine to the internet via WiFi from the router (DrayTek Vigor2710ne) in room 2. I was getting acceptable speeds using WiFi but in an effort to see if I could get a faster...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07.
Find Us