Windows 10: Can I attach two same or different ADSL modem to Broadband Connection Solved

  1.    29 Aug 2016 #1

    Can I attach two same or different ADSL modem to Broadband Connection


    I have got two broadband points at my different floors ( my wifi does not reach at other floor so I have made this arrangement ) from my ISP from their Main point. I disconnect my ADSL modem from one point and attach it to other point when I need to work there and then disconnect from other point and attach to first point when I need to work there. First I want to know if I put up same or different modem at both the points, Can they both work at a time? Second if it will work then whether the ISP can have objection to this/ or will ISP come to know that I am using two modems?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    29 Aug 2016 #2

    Multiple ADSL modems on the same line cannot work. It may work if only one is turned on but you would need to check with your ISP.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    29 Aug 2016 #3

    Hi there

    Why not use a Wifi extender or if you need ethernet connections - use another router rconnected as Wifi Bridge. The second router picks up the wifi signal and when in Bridge mode will allow you to connect Ethernet cable to one of 4 LAN ports on it - these boxes usually have 4 LAN ports).

    These ether net bridge methods allow you on 5GHZ wifi band to connect at 433Mib/s so plenty if your broadband is fast enough. Even on 2,4GHZ there should be enough speed using this method of connection.

    I'm using an ASUS router as a Wifi ethernet bridge --works just fine --saves messy LAN cables over the place and also acts as an "extender" too as it seems to have a better receiver than the wifi cards in my laptops.

    My NAS boxes have no Wifi connectors (and in any case wifi on Linux isn't always the easiest to get working) so I just plug ethernet connectors into the bridge. The NAS boxes just think I've got a bog standard ethernet connection so no probs whatsoever.

    You can set the bridging router up to pick up your primary WIFI from your ISP supplied router / cable box and then just plug LAN ports into ports 1 - 4 on the router used as the Bridge.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 3,439
    EL Capitan
       29 Aug 2016 #4

    I would go with a set of Wifi Access Points also. I have used in the past the Engenius ECB350 which is a 2.4ghz Wireless-b/g/n and has great signal. Now using a Engenius EAP750H with 2.4/5ghz Wireless-a/b/g/n/ac. It actually has a fallover mode for handoff when you start losing signal, so that your device will pick up the next AP.

    You can get the ECB350 for under $80 with POE adapter. It has at least a 150' range with Wireless-n. It works as a stand alone Wireless Gateway, Bridge, AP, Repeater.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    30 Aug 2016 #5

    LMiller7 said: View Post
    Multiple ADSL modems on the same line cannot work. It may work if only one is turned on but you would need to check with your ISP.
    Thanks for the information. I will keep one turned on because I don't want to spend unnecessarily on wifi repeater or other router.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    30 Aug 2016 #6

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    Why not use a Wifi extender or if you need ethernet connections - use another router rconnected as Wifi Bridge. The second router picks up the wifi signal and when in Bridge mode will allow you to connect Ethernet cable to one of 4 LAN ports on it - these boxes usually have 4 LAN ports).

    These ether net bridge methods allow you on 5GHZ wifi band to connect at 433Mib/s so plenty if your broadband is fast enough. Even on 2,4GHZ there should be enough speed using this method of connection.

    I'm using an ASUS router as a Wifi ethernet bridge --works just fine --saves messy LAN cables over the place and also acts as an "extender" too as it seems to have a better receiver than the wifi cards in my laptops.

    My NAS boxes have no Wifi connectors (and in any case wifi on Linux isn't always the easiest to get working) so I just plug ethernet connectors into the bridge. The NAS boxes just think I've got a bog standard ethernet connection so no probs whatsoever.

    You can set the bridging router up to pick up your primary WIFI from your ISP supplied router / cable box and then just plug LAN ports into ports 1 - 4 on the router used as the Bridge.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Thanks. I know this. Actually I did not want to spend much and this was the cheapest, if worked.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    30 Aug 2016 #7

    bro67 said: View Post
    I would go with a set of Wifi Access Points also. I have used in the past the Engenius ECB350 which is a 2.4ghz Wireless-b/g/n and has great signal. Now using a Engenius EAP750H with 2.4/5ghz Wireless-a/b/g/n/ac. It actually has a fallover mode for handoff when you start losing signal, so that your device will pick up the next AP.

    You can get the ECB350 for under $80 with POE adapter. It has at least a 150' range with Wireless-n. It works as a stand alone Wireless Gateway, Bridge, AP, Repeater.
    Thanks for the information. Actually I did not want to spend much and this was the cheapest, if worked. So to save money I will use alternately.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    30 Aug 2016 #8

    If it's two separate accounts with different IP then you can get routers which can do this and join them as one if it's two accounts and two different lines you can use them
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    30 Aug 2016 #9

    Samuria said: View Post
    If it's two separate accounts with different IP then you can get routers which can do this and join them as one if it's two accounts and two different lines you can use them
    Hi there
    @Samuria

    I think the whole point of this isn't to have 2X accounts -- my recollections of being in UK compared with almost anywhere in Europe is that whatever you do it's always MORE EXPENSIVE (OK might be being a bit hard on UK as I reeally enjoy it - but just seems to me stuff I think as normal and easy seems to be a hideous problem over there --and the queues for anything (even cashpoints at 2.00 am in the morning) just seem horrendous - especially in London).

    When I get fast broadband of up to 500 Gib/s for around 35 EUR a month unlimited and see what people are paying in UK and US I shudder -- maybe a bit of the French should come out --aux barricades or vive la Revolution !!!! as the bosses of these companies all earn HUGE salaries.

    I don't think the solution is paying SKY TV or Virgin 2 lots of around 100 Quid (200 GBP / 230 EUR / 220 USD) a month for broadband -- unless you all work at huge salaries for Hedge funds etc !!!! or are training as a Manchester Utd footballer at 300,000 GBP a WEEK !!!!! - all right for some I guess !!)

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 3,439
    EL Capitan
       30 Aug 2016 #10

    sam9 said: View Post
    Thanks for the information. I will keep one turned on because I don't want to spend unnecessarily on wifi repeater or other router.
    In the long run it will be a whole lot cheaper than paying for two Internet connections. For what you are spending per month, the Access Point would have already paid itself off twenty four times over.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Hello Everyone, I hope you're all doing well :) I have a 2GB/month data connection on a ZTE USB 3G modem. When I connect, it shows up as a dialup connection in Windows 10, meaning that there is no way for me to make it a metered connection....
Recently upgraded to version 10586 through "Windows Update". Since then, whenever I "Shutdown" or "Hibernate" my computer, the Dial up Broadband Protocol goes missing & I've to Set Up again. Any solution?
Here and elsewhere I found how to create a Dial-up, broadband connection (sorry still using this old stuff seeing that I am at a university in China) shortcut placed on the desktop. B4 the shortcut I had to: -1- click on the R-side of the task bar...
Mobile broadband connection in Network and Sharing
Windows 10 Help says that I should have a Mobile connection link under Network and Internet, I don't. By luck I managed to connect my dongle because Windows saw it as a drive. I now need to be able to use the Mobile link in order to set my...
Can't connect to broadband connection The Modem (or other connecting devices) has reported an error While I troubleshooted in network and sharing center I got There might be a problem with the driver for the Ethernet adapter And There...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53.
Find Us