Server won't go back to sleep once accessed by Win 10 client

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Kbird's Avatar
    Posts : 2,196
    Win10 202H
       #11

    @Onum , what version of Win10 are you using ? there were issues with SMB in some versions and disable SMB 2 and 3 fixed it temporarily but I thought they had fixed that ?

    Solved Samba Shares don't show up in Windows 10 Network - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2696547

    More info on the Synology website , and one post saying it was his Win7 computer causing the issues

    Windows 10 Version 1511 and SMB3 - Page 7 - Synology Forum

    main thread: Windows 10 Version 1511 and SMB3 - Synology Forum
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 12
    Win 10
    Thread Starter
       #12

    Kbird said:
    @Onum , what version of Win10 are you using ? there were issues with SMB in some versions and disable SMB 2 and 3 fixed it temporarily but I thought they had fixed that ?

    Solved Samba Shares don't show up in Windows 10 Network - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2696547
    Well, it only seems like I've gone and bloody fixed it

    To cut a long story short, the one thing I hadn't tried was running the "turning on the SMB client protocols" CMD line entries detailed in the MS KB article on the win 7 machine. After all AFAIK they are enabled by default and I've never disabled them, the SMB issues were on the win 10 side.

    Since doing that the behaviour of the Win 7 box when accessed from the Win 10 client is as desired, ie the system drops into hibernation shortly after the shares are no longer being accessed.
      My Computer

  3. Kbird's Avatar
    Posts : 2,196
    Win10 202H
       #13

    Onum said:
    Well, it only seems like I've gone and bloody fixed it

    To cut a long story short, the one thing I hadn't tried was running the "turning on the SMB client protocols" CMD line entries detailed in the MS KB article on the win 7 machine. After all AFAIK they are enabled by default and I've never disabled them, the SMB issues were on the win 10 side.

    Since doing that the behaviour of the Win 7 box when accessed from the Win 10 client is as desired, ie the system drops into hibernation shortly after the shares are no longer being accessed.

    Great ! :) did you enable SMB 1 or 2&3 though? You used the Server Fix for Win7 I guess ? (or the Client fix?)

    KB
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 12
    Win 10
    Thread Starter
       #14

    Kbird said:
    Great ! :) did you enable SMB 1 or 2&3 though? You used the Server Fix for Win7 I guess ? (or the Client fix?)

    KB
    The server side was already enabled according to the registry entries for it. The SMB client/workstation must have been enabled/running before else I'd have never seen the Win 7 pc on the network.

    I enabled 1 and 2/3 - I've seen recommendations to turn 1 off if 2/3 work ok but the client seems to see the networked pc faster/smoother with SMB1 enabled.

    I tried to reproduce the problem by selectively turning off SMB1 or SMB2/3 but the fix seems to have stuck! (I was going to use a port monitor to see if a service was keeping a port open or something - maybe should have done that from the get go )

    Maybe there was some SMB configuration issue that's been fixed by running the CMD line arguments? will probably never know now.

    Cheers
      My Computer

  5. Kbird's Avatar
    Posts : 2,196
    Win10 202H
       #15

    thanks was curious for my own knowledge , but Others may read this thread in the future too.

    KB
      My Computers


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums