Windows 10: Access to a computer hard drive without sharing.
Access to a computer hard drive without sharing.
have you ever tried this on your windows explorer?
after this windows will ask for username and password. and guess what? you might get "access denied" error.
this is because you are using your Microsoft account to login to the windows. you need to have a local account to do this.
-The problem with sharing a drive/s on a computer is, everyone on your network will have access to that drive just by typing the "\\Machine Name" in windows explorer.
-but there is a problem with local accounts! still everyone on the network can have access to that specific machine by typing \\machine Name\username\Volume$
So now we have a computer that uses Microsoft account(lets call it the Server Machine) to login to the windows and we want only specific users(lets call them Client Machines) on the network to have access to its hard drive while other users can only have access to \\Machine Name\share folder
here is what you have to do :
1. login to Server Machine using Microsoft account
2. go to Computer Management (type computer Management)
3. system tools> local Users and Groups > users
4. right click on Administrator, select Properties
5. uncheck the check box with value of: " Account is disabled"
6. close the Properties window and right click on Administrator again
7. click on set password and set your password for administrator account
8. on the Client machine type \\machine name\d$(for example) windows will ask for credentials and this time for username type : Machine Name\Administrator and for the password use the password you just set on step 6.
now you have access to server machine hard drive without sharing the drives or without using a local account to login to that computer.
Great Observation.. Thanks for sharing
I may have posted this before, so I apologize for being repetitive.
I have a hard drive that is connect to my modem / router via a usb connection. The drive is accessed via
After rebooting my router, this will work for...
I'm new to this forum, and here's what happened.
My old Windows XP Desktop stopped running 2 weeks ago, with a No OS Found error. Since then I've taken the hard drive out and connected it to my new Windows 10 desktop with a USB 2.0 to SATA...
I have two machines on a workgroup network. One machine has win 7 and the other has Win 10.
From win 10 machine I can access the C drive on the Win 7 machine since I shared the C drive on the win 7 machine.
But I can't access the C...
I have a usb connected hard drive connected to my Bell 2000 router. The instructions to access this drive is to go to the Documents folder and enter \\mynetwork. This then shows the shared hard drive as \\mynetwork\NETWORKHD. If I now click on...
I have a Toshiba 2TB Canvio USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive, it was working yesterday but I am now having problems with accessing it today.
I connected it today and in my computer it shows up as Local Disk (G:), when I click onto it to try and access it...