My Wife's Win7 Macine Cannot Access my Win10 Machine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 130
    windows 10
       #1

    My Wife's Win7 Macine Cannot Access my Win10 Machine.


    I HATE modern networking with every fiber of my being. Once upon a time, networking was simple. To support huge corporate networks Microsoft has made it into a nightmare for home users.

    Last week I upgraded to Win10. My wife backs up here win7 data on my backup drive. She is on the same wired network a I. After my upgrade she could not access the folder to backup her data. Everything was working for three years before the upgrade. In spite of all the assurances from Microsoft that functioning would remain the same I discovered the Win10 upgrade had changed the permissions. I redid them to allow everyone to read/write to her backup folder. Problem solved for a few days. Now, once again, she cannot access her backup folder. The permission changes I made remain but she gets a message asking for the "network username and password." After much googling I'm almost certain there's no such thing as a "network password." Since a network password does not exist it's impossible to supply one.

    I can see her computer and access it. She can see my computer but cannot access it for the reason stated above.

    Anyone know how to get past this roadblock?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 402
    W10
       #2

    You operate your PC as an administrator? In that case it may help to define a user "mywife" and a password, and to set the sharing and security settings for this user.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 772
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #3

    Not sure why it keeps asking for a password but it wants your Microsoft login.

    EG:
    [email protected] and the password
      My Computer

  4.   My Computer


  5. Posts : 130
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    sml156 said:
    Not sure why it keeps asking for a password but it wants your Microsoft login.
    Assuming you mean the username and password assigned when I installed Win8 then we've tried that with no luck.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 130
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Thanks, but I'd already checked that and it was set on no login required.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 130
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    PiKo said:
    You operate your PC as an administrator? In that case it may help to define a user "mywife" and a password, and to set the sharing and security settings for this user.
    I assume you mean create an entirely new user under my Win10. I'd never thought of that and have never had a second user. I help my sister in law with a computer she shares with her husband and they have separate users. I found it very confusing, probably because its the only such setup I've ever worked on. So, you think if I set her up as a separate user she will be able to see my backup drive? What about my printer and my desktop?
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 772
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #8

    iamjim said:
    Assuming you mean the username and password assigned when I installed Win8 then we've tried that with no luck.
    EG:
    [email protected] and the password
    If you sign into your computer with a Microsoft account you use that.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 402
    W10
       #9

    iamjim said:
    I assume you mean create an entirely new user under my Win10. I'd never thought of that and have never had a second user. I help my sister in law with a computer she shares with her husband and they have separate users. I found it very confusing, probably because its the only such setup I've ever worked on. So, you think if I set her up as a separate user she will be able to see my backup drive? What about my printer and my desktop?
    Not exactly. What I mean is: create at your PC a new (extra) user with password. For you, nothing changes because you continue to work in your administrator account. Give the folders you want to share the appropriate rights under the sharing and security tabs, which you probably already did. Define "Everyone" as authenticized user if not present under the sharing and security tabs (later, if it works, you may limit Everyone only to your wife's PC).
    After that your wife should be able to see the shared folders and to login with the newly created username and password. Login data are remembered so your wife has to do that only the first time.
    I learned this trick in an internet search when people could not share their (Kodi) mediaplayer with a W10 PC.
    It solved my problem too, which was identical to yours. It seems that W10 takes measures to prevent to login at a W10 machine with only an administrator account.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 130
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #10

    PiKo said:
    It seems that W10 takes measures to prevent to login at a W10 machine with only an administrator account.
    I hope everyone sees why I say Microsoft has made networking a nightmare for home users
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums