Only User of Computer


  1. Posts : 12
    Windows 10
       #1

    Only User of Computer


    New desktop with Windows 10.


    Should I make Network and/or Home Group, set up sharing etc. even though I am literally the only one who uses this PC?.

    This also is only computer in household.

    Thanx
      My Computer

  2. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 8,115
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint, Win7 Pro
       #2

    Network consists of your Computer, the Network adapter in it and a Router, Modem or Router/Modem combination. If you now have Internet service [confirmed by the ability to post here] you shouldn't need to worry about anything else until adding more computers.
      My Computer

  3. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 8,169
    Mac OS Catalina
       #3

    Berton said:
    Network consists of your Computer, the Network adapter in it and a Router, Modem or Router/Modem combination. If you now have Internet service [confirmed by the ability to post here] you shouldn't need to worry about anything else until adding more computers.
    You missed the question. The OP is asking should they use Home Group or Network shares for sharing folders and items.
      My Computers

  4. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 8,169
    Mac OS Catalina
       #4

    CleverDjeida said:
    New desktop with Windows 10.


    Should I make Network and/or Home Group, set up sharing etc. even though I am literally the only one who uses this PC?.

    This also is only computer in household.

    Thanx
    If it is the only computer and you do not share media to say a streaming device, you can stick with standard Network shares. Home Group was Microsoft's way of trying to dumbify the sharing process, thinking that they could change the way that users share folders and files, but it has failed miserably.
      My Computers

  5. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 8,115
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint, Win7 Pro
       #5

    bro67 said:
    You missed the question. The OP is asking should they use Home Group or Network shares for sharing folders and items.
    Don't think so. Of all the computers I've set up in homes [over 20 years] there has never been any need to do other than accept the defaults once User name/data has been entered. If there is only one computer and one user of it what needs to be shared?
      My Computer

  6. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 8,169
    Mac OS Catalina
       #6

    Berton said:
    Don't think so. Of all the computers I've set up in homes [over 20 years] there has never been any need to do other than accept the defaults once User name/data has been entered. If there is only one computer and one user of it what needs to be shared?
    Read their post. They are asking what if any option to use with one computer in the house. In other words it would be not needing to activate Home Groups. Also there is no need to set their computer to share folders, because there is no other computer in the house.

    Regardless of how many computers are on a network. If someone asksme to set their computer up for them. I disable any type of Network sharing, just in case someone is over and wants to use their network, but they do notwant a guest to access the computer or even see it on the network.
      My Computers



  7. Posts : 12
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    CleverDjeida said:
    New desktop with Windows 10.


    Should I make Network and/or Home Group, set up sharing etc. even though I am literally the only one who uses this PC?.

    This also is only computer in household.

    Thanx

    Getting closer to truly understand what all the responses are trying to to explain to me.
    I would add that if I occasionally use a Roku stick on a TV.
    Would this change answers about Networks, Home groups, sharing etc.

    Hope all respondents see this. You guys have been great!
      My Computer

  8. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 8,169
    Mac OS Catalina
       #8

    If you have a Roku, you would need third party apps to stream music or videos from your computer. That would be done through Media Sharing with VLC or with connecting to a folder that is in the Public Share.
      My Computers


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums