How to assess the hdd connected to the router?


  1. Posts : 13
    windows 7 /10
       #1

    How to assess the hdd connected to the router?


    I have a external hdd which is connected to a tplink modem via usb. Currently can assess the hdd through the lan after I assigned the drive in "my computer'. My question is how do I get the address for the hdd using normal browser? (eg: trying to connect to the usb external using my windows phone - edge browser OR just connecting to the usb external using chrome on windows 10 computer)

    Typing 192.168.1.1 into the browser will only link to my modem.

    Sorry if this question is very noob, I'm pretty bad with networking.

    Sys: windows 10 connected to the router via a cat5, modem = tp-link 8980, storage setting enabled.
      My Computer

  2. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 13,206
    Windows 10 Pro
       #2

    Your modem has to include the software in the modem's firmware to provide a HTML interface. This is the setup on the Netgear R7000 Nighthawk router:

    How to assess the hdd connected to the router?-capture.jpg

    When I access the webpage produced by the router this is what I get:

    How to assess the hdd connected to the router?-capture1.jpg

    And it's funny, I could have sworn I had a 64GB flash drive around here somewhere that I have been looking for for weeks now. I just found it! It's plugged into my router!
      My Computer

  3. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 8,079
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint, Win7 Pro
       #3

    I have 2 NAS drives attached to my Router and use File Explorer to Map them, only have to do it once unless I disconnect them. Nice thing is I can Map the drives or Folders on them to gain read/write from Windows, Mac OS X and Linux computers, both Wired and Wireless/Wi-Fi. My Router has 2 USB 2.0 ports but no Card Reader. The NAS drives have a USB 3.0 each. The drives show up in File Explorer's Network along with other computers. The NAS drive lettering by default begins with Z: and works back up the alphabet, mine are Z: and Y:.
      My Computer

  4. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 13,206
    Windows 10 Pro
       #4

    Berton said:
    I have 2 NAS drives attached to my Router and use File Explorer to Map them, only have to do it once unless I disconnect them. Nice thing is I can Map the drives or Folders on them to gain read/write from Windows, Mac OS X and Linux computers, both Wired and Wireless/Wi-Fi. My Router has 2 USB 2.0 ports but no Card Reader. The NAS drives have a USB 3.0 each. The drives show up in File Explorer's Network along with other computers. The NAS drive lettering by default begins with Z: and works back up the alphabet, mine are Z: and Y:.
    It looks like the OP has already done that:

    Perseides said:
    I have a external hdd which is connected to a tplink modem via usb. Currently can assess the hdd through the lan after I assigned the drive in "my computer'.
    Perseides is asking how to access the connected HDD through a web browser.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 13
    windows 7 /10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    The problem is I'm not sure what the address is been set by the router.
    How to assess the hdd connected to the router?-router.png

    However, when i type in 192.168.1.1/share , i get an error 403 forbidden.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to assess the hdd connected to the router?-2016_07_04_22_39_591.png  
      My Computer

  6. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 8,079
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint, Win7 Pro
       #6

    Perseides said:
    The problem is I'm not sure what the address is been set by the router.
    How to assess the hdd connected to the router?-router.png

    However, when i type in 192.168.1.1/share , i get an error 403 forbidden.
    Yeah, you can't use 192.168.1.1, the last number has to be something different, mine are 192.168.1.115 and 192.168.1.126. The only thing I can offer is that I've had trouble getting TP-Link and Belken Routers properly set up.
      My Computer


  7. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 13,206
    Windows 10 Pro
       #7

    Perseides said:
    The problem is I'm not sure what the address is been set by the router.
    The problem is that your modem/router does not have a web interface server built in to it for the USB storage device. The best you can hope for is to set up the FTP server and access it from the FTP client of your browser, FTP:\\192.168.1.1
    Last edited by NavyLCDR; 04 Jul 2016 at 21:12.
      My Computer


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:50.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums