Windows 10: Win 10 Build 10049 - Problems with Homegroup and Sharing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    01 Apr 2015 #1

    Win 10 Build 10049 - Problems with Homegroup and Sharing


    Ok.... So I've read the posts on here - and still can't make it work!!
    Homegroup:
    Could see the Homegroup set up from the win 7 desktop from the win 10 laptop, but when I put the password in, it eventually told me there was no homegroup available!
    So, left that Homegroup, set up another one from the Win 10 Laptop - and can see all the Win 8 laptops, but not my desktop running win 7. Strangely, the printer share on the Win 7 desktop still works!

    Sharing:
    Can see the machine - and the shares I have set up, but cannot access as I get the 'Don't have permissions' error.
    So went to Credentials Manager, but there is something already set up for the Desktop for the homegroup.
    Anything I try to add - just overwrites this! Can I set up multiple passwords for the same machine?

    BTW - I do not have passwords set on the Desktop running Win 7 - in case thats relevant.
    (and dont have a password on the Win 10 laptop either)

    Any help will stop me pulling more hair out!

    Thanks guys.
    Andy
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    01 Apr 2015 #2

    Network problems


    I don't use Homegroup............ never could make it work!

    I don't use passwords..... I'm the only one here and I don't know nuthin'

    Other than that I don't know what to tell you............

    Anything I can do I'll try!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    01 Apr 2015 #3

    Networking problem


    Andy,

    One thing I can tell you is that I've been on the internet and networking for over 20 and I've never messed with Credentials mess!
    Set up a network
    Setup network file sharing
    Share some files on all devices
    Put all devices on same homegroup
    Populate the Network folder on all devices
    Network folder should list all devices

    No shares.............. no show??? simple as that............
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    02 Apr 2015 #4

    Hi Roger
    I have nevber dabbled with Credential Manager - never had the need, its just worked!
    HOWEVER the plot thickens.
    I booted up and old Win 7 laptop, and that can view my Win 7 Desktop shares OK.
    But neither my Win 8.1 or Win 10 machines can!!
    Help!
    Andy
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    02 Apr 2015 #5

    Networking problem


    AndyL said: View Post
    Hi Roger
    I have nevber dabbled with Credential Manager - never had the need, its just worked!
    HOWEVER the plot thickens.
    I booted up and old Win 7 laptop, and that can view my Win 7 Desktop shares OK.
    But neither my Win 8.1 or Win 10 machines can!!
    Help!
    Andy
    Hi Andy,

    Doesn't sound too serious.............

    Off the top of head.......

    Remove Win8 and Win10 from Homegroup
    Both machines............ Network and file sharing set
    Both machines added to Win7 workgroup
    Set shares (This PC:\Downloads for instance?)
    check that Network folder on all machines displays at least one share... ThisPC Downloads ??
    clicking Network folder should display all machines
    clicking any machine should display all Shared folders............

    Try that while I get some lunch.............
    I'll be back later shoot down any problems that may emerge
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    02 Apr 2015 #6

    Help from MS


    Roger said: View Post
    Hi Andy,

    Doesn't sound too serious.............

    Off the top of head.......

    Remove Win8 and Win10 from Homegroup
    Both machines............ Network and file sharing set
    Both machines added to Win7 workgroup
    Set shares (This PC:\Downloads for instance?)
    check that Network folder on all machines displays at least one share... ThisPC Downloads ??
    clicking Network folder should display all machines
    clicking any machine should display all Shared folders............

    Try that while I get some lunch.............
    I'll be back later shoot down any problems that may emerge
    Here's some help from MS. Just disregard anything that doesn't apply to you..............
    You want a Home network
    using a Workgroup............ etc.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ferent-windows

    If you have problems just post back and we'll get it fixed
    We've got a huge time difference making it difficult to connect.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    03 Apr 2015 #7

    Hi Roger,
    So, on my W7 desktop - I decided to go into share - and select Everyone.
    Now I can see the drive from Win8 AND Win 10!
    Strange that Win 7 could see the share without specifying Everyone....

    Still no luck with the Homegroup (which I would rather like to get working, as its easier for Family Members (i.e. wife)
    I did notice that when I try to share a Library or Directory, when I select Share With - there is a padlock next to Nobody....
    Which seems to imply that it can't be shared...
    Do you know what this means and is it stopping me sharing with the Homegroup?
    Havn't got round to researching that yet!

    Many thanks
    Andy
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    03 Apr 2015 #8

    AndyL said: View Post
    Hi Roger,
    So, on my W7 desktop - I decided to go into share - and select Everyone.
    Now I can see the drive from Win8 AND Win 10!
    Strange that Win 7 could see the share without specifying Everyone....



    Still no luck with the Homegroup (which I would rather like to get working, as its easier for Family Members (i.e. wife)
    I did notice that when I try to share a Library or Directory, when I select Share With - there is a padlock next to Nobody....
    Which seems to imply that it can't be shared...
    Do you know what this means and is it stopping me sharing with the Homegroup?
    Havn't got round to researching that yet!

    Many thanks
    Andy
    I haven't seen "Nobody" listed but I use a Home Network and the difference may explain that.
    The help page I posted above contains a list of the various scenarios available in the sidebar.
    I think you'll find all you answers there and more help with Homegroup.
    If you can't find an answer come back and I'll try to help.
    Good luck!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    06 Apr 2015 #9

    8 pc's and 2 NAS on home network.

    Win 7, Win 8, and win10 up to 9926 - Home group, shares, NP

    Win 10 10041,49 - CRAP! no homegroup, no shares, no mail, many apps don't work, etc.
    Many hours lost futzing with credentials to no avail.

    Sure hope they address this soon.

    Cortana and Spartan may be useful??? But fix the FUNDAMENTALS!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    06 Apr 2015 #10

    fixit038 said: View Post
    8 pc's and 2 NAS on home network.

    Win 7, Win 8, and win10 up to 9926 - Home group, shares, NP

    Win 10 10041,49 - CRAP! no homegroup, no shares, no mail, many apps don't work, etc.
    Many hours lost futzing with credentials to no avail.

    Sure hope they address this soon.

    Cortana and Spartan may be useful??? But fix the FUNDAMENTALS!
    Have you set shares on Win10?
    Open Homegroup in Win10................ should show shares
    Open Win8... should show shares
    Then try opening Win8 from Win10 and versa vice...........I had problems too but fiddled with it by going both ways in the network and they all came up.
    YMMV
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Hello, Just wondering if any has the following issue: Cannot modify properties in Ethernet settings. Please see pic. I have re-started, disabled / enabled in Device Manager, also un-installed and allowed Windows to re-install. Thanks.15882
Problems with Build 10240 in General Support
So far, I have no sound and Cortana is not working when I speak to her. Any solutions and fixed?
Windows 10 Build 10049 in Windows Insider
Hello, So I have encountered some problems. I upgraded from build 9926 to Build 10049, which resulted in my 'Owner' user to be locked at the log-in screen. when I bought the laptop not even a week ago, i upgraded the OS to Windows 10 from...
From where do you guys download the 10049 .iso. This MS link does not tell you which build it is. I want to make a new install and not update.
Microsoft did it again with build 10049.... in Installation and Upgrade
Well last time i could go back to build 9926, want to do that again, but get the feeling that it will not do any good. So back to the ridiculous start, back to the search web and windows on the taskbar, which for me always does a search on the...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40.
Find Us