Connect and Disconnect internet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 10
    Windows 10
       #1

    Connect and Disconnect internet


    Hi

    I had been using Windows 8 till last week. It was very easy to connect or disconnect the internet in that OS. I simply clicked on the network icon in the system tray and the clicked on connect or disconnect and done. My username and password were stored so I didn't have to retype each time.

    Now in Windows 10, when I click on this system tray icon, I get the option of my ISP and when I click on that, it takes me to settings, network sharing etc and there I must again click on my ISP link which then prompts me for my username and password. It's very very cumbersome to do this again and again(I don't keep my connection on all the time). Windows 10 has my username and password stored which I can see but it still prompts me every time. And for disconnecting too it take me to settings etc .

    Can it not be made simple and easy like it was in Win7 or 8?

    Thanks.
      My Computer

  2. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 8,396
    Mac OS Catalina
       #2

    It is still easy like the previous editions.

    When you say your ISP, are you stating that you are using some form of Cellular data connection or DSL?

    Wifi is always going to connect to the Hot Spot that you set it for.

    When upgrading from 7 or 8, you need to uninstall the device and the driver, then go into System in Control Panel and disable Windows 10 from updating Device drivers.

    Then reboot and install a downloaded copy of the driver from the Motherboard or OEM website.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 10
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    bro67 said:
    It is still easy like the previous editions.

    When you say your ISP, are you stating that you are using some form of Cellular data connection or DSL?

    Wifi is always going to connect to the Hot Spot that you set it for.

    When upgrading from 7 or 8, you need to uninstall the device and the driver, then go into System in Control Panel and disable Windows 10 from updating Device drivers.

    Then reboot and install a downloaded copy of the driver from the Motherboard or OEM website.
    No it's not cellular. I have an internet service provider and I have a modem and a wifi router installed. In Windows 8 there was no issue as I described. In Windows 10 it's not that simple to connect or disconnect to my broadband. There are NO ISSUES connecting or disconnecting, I can do that but the steps involved are too many compared to the simplistic 2 clicks affair in windows 8.
      My Computer

  4. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 8,396
    Mac OS Catalina
       #4

    If you have a Gateway with wifi and it is asking you to connect to the A/P when booting up or before you log in. That is because there is a delay for when the adapter actually gets the IRQ to wake up and search for the gateway.

    It could stem from the adapter telling the Gateway that it is awake and ready to communicate. It could be the Gateway thinking that the lease timed out for who knows what reason.

    If you can tie the MAC to the IP on your gateway, give that a try. The other alternative is to do as I stated and put in the OEM driver or try a different adapter.
      My Computers

  5. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,581
    Windows 10 Pro
       #5

    jhsurti said:
    No it's not cellular. I have an internet service provider and I have a modem and a wifi router installed. In Windows 8 there was no issue as I described. In Windows 10 it's not that simple to connect or disconnect to my broadband. There are NO ISSUES connecting or disconnecting, I can do that but the steps involved are too many compared to the simplistic 2 clicks affair in windows 8.
    I just need to click the network icon in notification area, select my WiFi network and click Connect / Disconnect:

    Connect and Disconnect internet-2016_05_12_06_33_381.png

    Selecting Connect automatically I don't have to enter the network security key manually:


    Connect and Disconnect internet-2016_05_12_06_35_472.png
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 10
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    I removed the connection and set it up again. Now it remembers the username and password so when I click connect from the network icon in the notification area, it connects without me having to input username or password. BUT it opens the settings panel to the connection, I have to select the connection "YOU Broadband" and then click on the option Connect. to do it. Same steps if I want to disconnect. So one of my original questions still remains, why can't it be done directly from the notification icon of networking? Like it was in Windows 8? Does anyone know how to set that up by someway tinkering with some settings or add-ons?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 10
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    @Kari, I don't get the "Connect" icon like you show in your picture. I mean the word Connect appears but only as a word not as a button like in yours.
      My Computer

  8. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 4,910
    Windows 11 Home Dev 22xxx
       #8
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 10
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    TairikuOkami said:
    Installed it but can't make out head or tail of it. Shows Error.
      My Computer

  10. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 8,396
    Mac OS Catalina
       #10

    jhsurti said:
    Installed it but can't make out head or tail of it. Shows Error.
    Did you completely remove the device and all drivers or just the driver.

    You may have to do some deeper troubleshooting at this point, by looking for any programs that may be wanting the adapter before it is awake and connected.

    Try this. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/netada...network-issues The Windows Club has the best resources for tools. Farbar's tools are good also.

    You are not per chance running any thirdparty Internet Security software or P2P?
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:21.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums