1.    07 Feb 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10.0.10586

    Asus Q500A Wi-Fi Connection Drops and/or Adapter Issue


    Hello, I have been experiencing a major and annoying Wi-Fi connectivity issue with my Q500A that I can't figure out. The wireless adapter is an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 (latest driver version installed). Most of the time, I use an Ethernet cable and turn off Wi-Fi to save power. However, when I need to use Wi-Fi if Ethernet isn't available, it won't function properly. The Wi-Fi option in Settings may disappear, not all available networks show up, or it may connect but drop connection soon after.

    I've tried reinstalling the network adapter in Device Manager numerous times. Running one or more of the troubleshooters from Control Panel doesn't work or provides a temporary fix. What is something I can do to get back steady/working Wi-Fi?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    07 Feb 2016 #2
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,588
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by Bgeo25 View Post
    Hello, I have been experiencing a major and annoying Wi-Fi connectivity issue with my Q500A that I can't figure out. The wireless adapter is an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 (latest driver version installed). Most of the time, I use an Ethernet cable and turn off Wi-Fi to save power. However, when I need to use Wi-Fi if Ethernet isn't available, it won't function properly. The Wi-Fi option in Settings may disappear, not all available networks show up, or it may connect but drop connection soon after.

    I've tried reinstalling the network adapter in Device Manager numerous times. Running one or more of the troubleshooters from Control Panel doesn't work or provides a temporary fix. What is something I can do to get back steady/working Wi-Fi?
    Hi Bgeo25 and welcome to Tenforums.

    Looking at the drivers here, I see they've got W10, W8 & W7. They also have BT. Have you updated your BT as well? Because it's all related. IDK but, sometimes rolling back drivers helps. This is kind of tricky, and sometimes you really have to mess around with the different drivers to find the right solution. And, Windows Update will many times give you a different version that what you find at the OEM's web site. Did you also install their "software" that goes with it? Just be sure, when you delete the device, delete the drivers as well (there's a box to check), then reboot, and install the next driver you want to try. Also, in the Adapter properties, you can set it so the OS doesn't turn it off to save power (when you're using it, of course).

    OTOH, if all else fails, could it be that your wireless card is going and needs to be replaced? Do you, or a friend, have a working one that you could try in your laptop?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    08 Feb 2016 #3
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10.0.10586
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    Hi Bgeo25 and welcome to Tenforums.

    Looking at the drivers here, I see they've got W10, W8 & W7. They also have BT. Have you updated your BT as well? Because it's all related. IDK but, sometimes rolling back drivers helps. This is kind of tricky, and sometimes you really have to mess around with the different drivers to find the right solution. And, Windows Update will many times give you a different version that what you find at the OEM's web site. Did you also install their "software" that goes with it? Just be sure, when you delete the device, delete the drivers as well (there's a box to check), then reboot, and install the next driver you want to try. Also, in the Adapter properties, you can set it so the OS doesn't turn it off to save power (when you're using it, of course).

    OTOH, if all else fails, could it be that your wireless card is going and needs to be replaced? Do you, or a friend, have a working one that you could try in your laptop?
    Hi and thanks for your help on the issue (and sorry for taking a long time to reply).

    After updating the Bluetooth driver, at first the Wi-Fi worked. I then switched to Ethernet (since I alternate between Ethernet and Wi-Fi often) and turned off Wi-Fi. Then, I unplugged the Ethernet cable and tried to turn Wi-Fi back on manually, but it wouldn't let me even turn it on (or sometimes it shows "Not available" in place of Wi-Fi. (Check the example video)

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9f...ew?usp=sharing

    Basically, the Wi-Fi seems to work only once right after I restart. If I turn it off, then it will stay off. Uninstalling the Centrino from Device Manager and reinstalling still provides a temporary fix, but of course connection drops after that and it's no good. Also, it's strange how Intel's driver update utility thinks I have an older version of their Bluetooth driver than Device Manager indicates. Could it be that the update isn't working or just a glitch in Intel's software?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    08 Feb 2016 #4
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,588
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by Bgeo25 View Post
    Hi and thanks for your help on the issue (and sorry for taking a long time to reply).

    After updating the Bluetooth driver, at first the Wi-Fi worked. I then switched to Ethernet (since I alternate between Ethernet and Wi-Fi often) and turned off Wi-Fi. Then, I unplugged the Ethernet cable and tried to turn Wi-Fi back on manually, but it wouldn't let me even turn it on (or sometimes it shows "Not available" in place of Wi-Fi. (Check the example video)

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9f...ew?usp=sharing

    Basically, the Wi-Fi seems to work only once right after I restart. If I turn it off, then it will stay off. Uninstalling the Centrino from Device Manager and reinstalling still provides a temporary fix, but of course connection drops after that and it's no good. Also, it's strange how Intel's driver update utility thinks I have an older version of their Bluetooth driver than Device Manager indicates. Could it be that the update isn't working or just a glitch in Intel's software?
    Very strange indeed. This is not a solution, but I wonder if it's a workaround. On the laptop, there should be a function key (or even a slideswitch) to manually turn the wifi adapter off, without doing it in the operating system. If you reboot, and the wifi adapter is working, then turn it off using the F-key, then turn it back on that way, does it work properly?

    Sometimes there are very slight differences in the drivers from the component manufacturer's web site, and the site of the system maker (ASUS). These slight differences can also make a difference in the performance. One thing to do is, when uninstalling a device, make sure to the check box to also uninstall the driver, to make sure all traces are gone before you install the new one. Sometimes leftovers of one driver version can interfere with another version. Also, updating the device driver through Windows update can give you a whole 'nother version.

    I know it's not an answer, but I have found in situations like these, you really have to play around to find the right combination wifi/BT set.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Connection drops completely when trying to use the Internet
I upgraded to Win10 yesterday. upgrade could be a keyword for the future but since I upgraded everything has been perfect except my connection to the Internet. It's fine on startup but once I go on Edge, Chrome, steam or Skype it stops about 3...
Network and Sharing
Wireless connection randomly drops
So i currently have a MSI GT80 Titan running killer wireless 1525 network adapter and am constantly seeing network drops to the point where i get an exclamation mark over my wireless icon and no activity. Connection shows connected but no speed,...
Network and Sharing
WiFi Connection drops after MAC ID change
I recently changed my wifi Mac Id using Technetium as my original ID got blocked. I had to reinstall the drivers and restart the PC to get the Network card working. But that it is fine, the Wifi connection disconnects every 5 minutes or so. Please...
Network and Sharing
Network adapter issue, not a driver issue.
After installing Windows 10 the wired Ethernet adapter is missing from the device manager. I found similar threads in the forum but most of the answers concern downloading of drivers for the adapter. My question is how do I download the adapter. One...
Network and Sharing
Fresh Install Ethernet Connection Drops
I have a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro x64. Ever since it was installed my wired ethernet connections has been randomly dropping. I have Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet under Device Manager Network Adapters.
Network and Sharing
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:31.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums