Windows 10: Horrible WIFI Signal Strength after installing Windows 10 PLEASE HELP Solved

  1.    30 Jan 2016 #1

    Horrible WIFI Signal Strength after installing Windows 10 PLEASE HELP


    Hello everyone,

    I have just installed Windows 10 on my laptop Acer Aspire V5-552P-X440 and since then my WIFI signal strength has been terrible. I have a range of about 10ft in open space from the router before the signal is lost.

    The adapter is an Atheros AR5BWB222 (Driver Version 3.0.2.182)
    Router used... Linksys E2500. (Multiple trials on different home networks. Same results.)


    What I have tried so far.
    • Removed original Atheros driver, and let windows 10 install their latest.
    • Downloaded and installed latest drivers from Acer website.
    • Removed/uninstalled Bluetooth drivers (Read about possible conflict)
    • Disabled all VPN Services (Read about possible conflict)
    • Disabled Firewall and Security application. (AVG Internet Security)


    Right now I am at a loss. I really don't like Windows 8.1 but might have to go back to this.
    Anyone have any ideas?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 1,987
    Windows Home x64 (Home per choice)
       30 Jan 2016 #2

    Change the channel to the one, which is the least crowded, use this tool to see, which ones are.

    WifiInfoView - WiFi Scanner for Windows 7/8/Vista

    Disable IPv6: Run CMD as admin and enter:

    netsh int ipv6 isatap set state disabled
    netsh int teredo set state disabled
    netsh interface ipv6 6to4 set state state=disabled undoonstop=disabled
    reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters" /v "DisabledComponents" /t REG_DWORD /d "255" /f
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    30 Jan 2016 #3

    Thanks TairikuOkami for the quick reply!

    I will give this a try and follow up.

    TairikuOkami said: View Post
    Change the channel to the one, which is the least crowded, use this tool to see, which ones are.

    WifiInfoView - WiFi Scanner for Windows 7/8/Vista

    Disable IPv6: Run CMD as admin and enter:

    netsh int ipv6 isatap set state disabled
    netsh int teredo set state disabled
    netsh interface ipv6 6to4 set state state=disabled undoonstop=disabled
    reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters" /v "DisabledComponents" /t REG_DWORD /d "255" /f
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    30 Jan 2016 #4

    I followed the steps above and noticed an increase in WIFI range!
    I have to test again when I am home since my work is on a Mesh and it's hard NOT to get good signals.

    One thing I am curious about is an additional wireless adapter. When performing an "ipconfig /all"
    I noticed the adapter called Microsoft wifi direct virtual adapter.
    In order to connect to the MAC filter, I had to add it's MAC address to my network along with the MAC for the Atheros adapter. Could this cause any issues?

    TairikuOkami said: View Post
    Change the channel to the one, which is the least crowded, use this tool to see, which ones are.

    WifiInfoView - WiFi Scanner for Windows 7/8/Vista

    Disable IPv6: Run CMD as admin and enter:

    netsh int ipv6 isatap set state disabled
    netsh int teredo set state disabled
    netsh interface ipv6 6to4 set state state=disabled undoonstop=disabled
    reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters" /v "DisabledComponents" /t REG_DWORD /d "255" /f
    Last edited by Windsor53; 30 Jan 2016 at 15:48.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    30 Jan 2016 #5

    Another separate question if you can help me on this too.
    Since the "Upgrade" to Windows 10, I have noticed that the NUM lock key is disables on startup. I tried to make the Registry key change on the InitialKeyboardIndicators to value of 2, as mentioned in numerous google searches.
    I though I had this fixed until I powered off the laptop. Is there a fix for this?

    Thank you again for all your time and help!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6.    30 Jan 2016 #6

    Okay, I tried the WIFI at home and the signal strength looks better in terms of detecting networks and having more "bars" however, if I am behind one door, 10ft away from the router the connection is lost.
    Open air (No walls) I can get about 40ft but with very low signal.

    Any other ideas I can try to resolve this?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 1,987
    Windows Home x64 (Home per choice)
       31 Jan 2016 #7

    Do you use 2,4 GHz or 20 MHz, because it has a better penetration than 5 GHz or 40 MHz.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8.    31 Jan 2016 #8

    Hi there

    This is also an easy graphical GUI to use

    1) Disconnect from your Wifi network
    2) run the program called Vistumbler get it from here : Vistumbler - Downloads

    You should get something like this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wifi_tool.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	247.6 KB 
ID:	61691

    Select channel least used - usually 1,6,11 are the most used, 13 is fine in USA that might not be an allowed channel, in Europe - it's OK.

    Note though channel 13 might not also work on some Linux distros if you are using Wifi on a NAS / Linux server - switch to 1,6,or 11.

    You could also try if your router permits going up into the 5MHZ band - make sure you have a computer to re-connect to your router if your wifi card can't manage the 5MHz wifi -- you can often in an emergency also logon with a mobile phone as their wifi is probably a lot more modern than typical computers and reset your router.

    Ideally if you can get one of the new hi-speed ac protocal adapters then your wifi problems should be over - the latest usb3 wifi adapters can run at nearly LAN speed (internally).

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Last edited by jimbo45; 31 Jan 2016 at 05:20.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9.    03 Feb 2016 #9

    Thanks everyone for the help. No luck.
    I am just going to purchase a cheap USB WIFI adapter and call it good.



    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    This is also an easy graphical GUI to use

    1) Disconnect from your Wifi network
    2) run the program called Vistumbler get it from here : Vistumbler - Downloads

    You should get something like this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wifi_tool.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	247.6 KB 
ID:	61691

    Select channel least used - usually 1,6,11 are the most used, 13 is fine in USA that might not be an allowed channel, in Europe - it's OK.

    Note though channel 13 might not also work on some Linux distros if you are using Wifi on a NAS / Linux server - switch to 1,6,or 11.

    You could also try if your router permits going up into the 5MHZ band - make sure you have a computer to re-connect to your router if your wifi card can't manage the 5MHz wifi -- you can often in an emergency also logon with a mobile phone as their wifi is probably a lot more modern than typical computers and reset your router.

    Ideally if you can get one of the new hi-speed ac protocal adapters then your wifi problems should be over - the latest usb3 wifi adapters can run at nearly LAN speed (internally).

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
How to Set Default BitLocker Encryption Method and Cipher Strength in Windows 10 You can use BitLocker Drive Encryption to help protect your files on an entire drive. BitLocker can help block hackers from accessing the system files they rely on...
hey guys plz anyone help me after when i upgraded win 8.1 to win 10 i got a serious wifi issue..my laptop connects with full signal with my wifi modem when i use laptop in the same room where the modem is but when i go to another room in my small...
outlook.com update is horrible in Browsers and Email
iv noticed the las couple days they have done some updates to outlook.com why do they mess with what works fine,now it is way slower and the interface is pink in colour they need to leave what works fine alone.:mad:
So I have 10s of programs and little things setup exactly how I want them in win 8. Having to do a clean install and reconfigure everything when win 10 comes out seems like a nightmare. I know that by upgrading and not doing a clean install I'll...
Hi, I'm running 64bit Win 10 and I downloaded the latest Wireless drivers direct from the driver manager and my connection is fine and stable (except I have to manually re-connect every time I restart my computer :mad:) Besides that my...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:09.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums