Download Wifi on my HP Win 10 laptop peaks at only 1.4Mbps


  1. Posts : 81
    Win 10 Home Latest Version
       #1

    Download Wifi on my HP Win 10 laptop peaks at only 1.4Mbps


    Hi All,

    I have a HP 15-ab030TX Pavilion (Notebook) with a Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter. The wifi download speeds never goes above 1.4 Mbps (mega bits, not bytes). I looked at the wifi adapter properties in Device Manager and they appear OK.

    Any way to break thru this 1.4Mbps barrier? I'm on cable internet which I know is very fast. I also have the same 1.4Mbps peak when I take my pc to other homes that also have fast cable internet. I'm able to view Netflix totally fine on my home entertainment system.

    What other details you need to diagnose this?

    Thanks,
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 11,204
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #2

    m3110w said:
    Hi All,

    I have a HP 15-ab030TX Pavilion (Notebook) with a Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter. The wifi download speeds never goes above 1.4 Mbps (mega bits, not bytes). I looked at the wifi adapter properties in Device Manager and they appear OK.

    Any way to break thru this 1.4Mbps barrier? I'm on cable internet which I know is very fast. I also have the same 1.4Mbps peak when I take my pc to other homes that also have fast cable internet. I'm able to view Netflix totally fine on my home entertainment system.

    What other details you need to diagnose this?

    Thanks,
    Hi there

    Chances are the Wifi part of your router isn't delivering latest fast Wifi protocol. Check with your cable / ISP provider. Also if you use any of those Wifi "extenders" check they are also fast Wifi supporting latest protocols.

    If I try some torrents with a reasonable seed ratio I expect around 3 - 4 Mb/s so a direct stream should probably be faster than that.

    Lan - no probs whatsoever - insanely fast speeds here.

    For Netflix you really need a minimum of 2 Mb/s although with Wifi faster is better.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 946
    Win10 Version 21H2 19044.1645
       #3

    Welcome to the Jungle !

    Myself and many are having the same issue. A restart (though annoying) temporarily solves my issue (same as yours) maybe for 4-6 hrs.

    Windows 10 Forums - Search Results

    The above link is a consolidation of previous posts with the same and similar issues. It seems to be a Win10 issue that hopefully will be resolved by MS.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 81
    Win 10 Home Latest Version
    Thread Starter
       #4

    jimbo45 said:
    Hi there

    Chances are the Wifi part of your router isn't delivering latest fast Wifi protocol. Check with your cable / ISP provider. Also if you use any of those Wifi "extenders" check they are also fast Wifi supporting latest protocols.

    If I try some torrents with a reasonable seed ratio I expect around 3 - 4 Mb/s so a direct stream should probably be faster than that.

    Lan - no probs whatsoever - insanely fast speeds here.

    For Netflix you really need a minimum of 2 Mb/s although with Wifi faster is better.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I don't think its the router cuz this happens no matter where I'm getting my internet. I take my computer to different homes and to different wifi hotspots and at every location my speed peaks at 1.4Mbps. I know my wifi can operate faster than this but for some reason its getting capped at 1.4Mbps. I'll keep researching. Thanks,
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 81
    Win 10 Home Latest Version
    Thread Starter
       #5

    torre said:
    Welcome to the Jungle !

    Myself and many are having the same issue. A restart (though annoying) temporarily solves my issue (same as yours) maybe for 4-6 hrs.

    Windows 10 Forums - Search Results

    The above link is a consolidation of previous posts with the same and similar issues. It seems to be a Win10 issue that hopefully will be resolved by MS.
    Thanks for the info. A restart doesn't fix it for me. I checked out the link and didn't see anything that helped. I'll keep researching.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 81
    Win 10 Home Latest Version
    Thread Starter
       #6

    OK, I partially solved the problem. On a hunch I uninstalled VirtualBox 5.04 and my max wifi download speed immediately went from 1.4Mbps to 3.8Mbps. Nice. 2.5 times faster. Could be that I didn't have VB configured properly, but I wasn't using it anyway so I just got rid of it.

    3.8Mbps is nice but is that the fastest I can expect from a b/g/n adapter? I'll take my pc to another location and see if that makes a difference. Also, if I get a USB wifi adapter I'll post here if that makes a difference. Thanks,
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 946
    Win10 Version 21H2 19044.1645
       #7

    I would recommend you contact your ISP to determine what speed you should be able to obtain. They can also run some checks.

    But again, this seems to be a W10 issue that many are encountering.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 81
    Win 10 Home Latest Version
    Thread Starter
       #8

    torre said:
    I would recommend you contact your ISP to determine what speed you should be able to obtain. They can also run some checks.

    But again, this seems to be a W10 issue that many are encountering.
    I called the ISP (Comcast) and they said our data plan is 4Mbits/sec max download which which matches what I'm seeing. 4Mbits/sec is also good enough for my parents (I'm just visiting here for a while). I'll test it again when I get to another location. I have a feeling uninstalling VirtualBox 5.04 fixed the problem. Thanks,
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums