Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    16 Jan 2016 #1
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 267
    Windows 10 Home

    Should I be worried I can see a smart device that is not mine?


    Should I be worried I can see a smart device that is not mine? I think it's upstairs neighbours and I don't get on with them KDL-32R433B. Which I googled and it's a Sony Smart TV. My Bluetooth has been turned on a few times without me!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    16 Jan 2016 #2
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,067
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    You have a wireless router, probably picking up the signal. Delete it. Nothing to do with Bluetooth and that is a bug in Windows 10 if showing in action center to the right on taskbar.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    16 Jan 2016 #3
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 267
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    You have a wireless router, probably picking up the signal. Delete it. Nothing to do with Bluetooth and that is a bug in Windows 10 if showing in action center to the right on taskbar.
    I can't see it looking in my pc and devices and printers network and Internet ? it's when I was trying to add device I accidently clicked on it. Now I can't find it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    16 Jan 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,067
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Can see by mine i have a Sony TV that has wireless device inside for connection to my router. If see it again delete it, not sure how to block it if it is coming from your neighbor, but only if you have a wireless router to pick it up.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	59209
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    16 Jan 2016 #5
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,067
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Thinking about this is kind of strange, because to enable a TV to even pick up on your WiFi would mean you inputting your Router WEP key into the TV. This is needed to be done with all WiFi devices to connect to your router. Check with your ISP provider, to change to a better encryption.


    You should use the strongest encryption that is compatible with your network. If your home network is compatible with WPA2 encryption, that should be your first choice. WPA2 provides the strongest protection among the three commonly-used encryptions. WPA should be your second choice if you have incompatibility issues with WPA2. WEP should be used if neither of the WPA encryption standards can be used.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    16 Jan 2016 #6
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 267
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Can see by mine i have a Sony TV that has wireless device inside for connection to my router. If see it again delete it, not sure how to block it if it is coming from your neighbor, but only if you have a wireless router to pick it up.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	59209
    Doesn't show in their can they hide it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    16 Jan 2016 #7
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 267
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Thinking about this is kind of strange, because to enable a TV to even pick up on your WiFi would mean you inputting your Router WEP key into the TV. This is needed to be done with all WiFi devices to connect to your router. Check with your ISP provider, to change to a better encryption.




    You should use the strongest encryption that is compatible with your network. If your home network is compatible with WPA2 encryption, that should be your first choice. WPA2 provides the strongest protection among the three commonly-used encryptions. WPA should be your second choice if you have incompatibility issues with WPA2. WEP should be used if neither of the WPA encryption standards can be used.
    Yeah that's why I am worried.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    16 Jan 2016 #8
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,067
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by hollyoaks777 View Post
    Doesn't show in their can they hide it?
    As said it can only be used on your router by inputting the WEP Encryption key into the TV's setup for internet connection. If there is no type of encryption key for your router or as some call password then easy access to your router. If it disappeared i would not worry about it, if it reappears, right click and remove it. Check with your Internet service provider about the ability of changing encryption as i mentioned in that paragraph it is much safer encryption. This TV will be able to use internet for downloading updates and apps like Hulu, etc.... Must have a good WiFi signal to pick up others well.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    16 Jan 2016 #9
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 267
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    As said it can only be used on your router by inputting the WEP Encryption key into the TV's setup for internet connection. If there is no type of encryption key for your router or as some call password then easy access to your router. If it disappeared i would not worry about it, if it reappears, right click and remove it. Check with your Internet service provider about the ability of changing encryption as i mentioned in that paragraph it is much safer encryption. This TV will be able to use internet for downloading updates and apps like Hulu, etc.... Must have a good WiFi signal to pick up others well.
    Yeah I have encryption thanks guys.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    16 Jan 2016 #10
    Join Date : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 4,020
    Mac OS Sierra

    It is because the neighbors have the tv set to allow second screen. Take a walk and introduce yourself to them, explain nicely that your computer is picking up their tv.

    Allow them to let you show them how to lock the tv to not allow anyone from being able to connect to it.

    A lot of people that get the Smart TV's, just plug them in and do not access the smart features, or may not know how to lock down guest access.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Need help bad...fresh install Windows 10 but worried!!!
Ok guys here is where I am at. Everything is running good on Windows 10. Except I have this itching uncomfortable feeling of excess baggage that my PC is carring and not needed because I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 instead of starting...
General Support
What is the ".WDtemp' folder? Mine is 50GB!!
Could someone please explain to me what this folder is in my C-drive? Its enormous and might well be the reason I couldn't SHRINK the partition down as much as I would have liked! ( I am just rebuilding a new pc system after my pc totally died). I...
General Support
Don't purchase a hp pc< mine's ") month old and not upgradable
My HP PC is 20 months old and they have decided not to provide the drivers for the graphic card (which I find is over 5 years old) for Windows 10. I've been in touch with their customer service, after being passed around for hours on end, and...
Graphic Cards
Worried about event viewer errors
hi guys managed to install windows 10 and everything seems to be working great. I looked in event viewer and I'm getting loads of errors, the same over and over. one is that keeps coming up is kernel-power event id 137 The system...
Performance & Maintenance
WMC user worried about Windows 10 USB upgrade.
Hey guys. I currently use a desktop with Windows 8.1 Pro with Windows Media Center (x64). According to this report, I am eligible to receive a free copy of Windows DVD Player since, as per forma, Microsoft has once again decided to kill...
Windows Updates and Activation
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:03.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums